+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension for graduation.

Alfred98

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
Hello,

I found an issue with my situation:

my visa is valid until July 1. My program ends on June 30. However, in order to apply PGWP, I need to obtain my final grade with a valid study permit. As per the conversation with school registration, the final grade won’t be released till the first week of July. So, I called many agencies about my case and I came up with the solution that I need to apply for study permit extension.

Will they accept my extension request even though I have just enough time for my school. I wrote an explanation letter saying that saying the last day of school and my transcript won’t be out by then so I need to get this extended..

So in short,
I have study permit valid until July 1
My program ends on June 30
My final grade won’t be out till the first week of July.
I’m applying for study permit extension.

Will I be able to get it?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I found an issue with my situation:

my visa is valid until July 1. My program ends on June 30. However, in order to apply PGWP, I need to obtain my final grade with a valid study permit. As per the conversation with school registration, the final grade won’t be released till the first week of July. So, I called many agencies about my case and I came up with the solution that I need to apply for study permit extension.

Will they accept my extension request even though I have just enough time for my school. I wrote an explanation letter saying that saying the last day of school and my transcript won’t be out by then so I need to get this extended..

So in short,
I have study permit valid until July 1
My program ends on June 30
My final grade won’t be out till the first week of July.
I’m applying for study permit extension.

Will I be able to get it?
No one can say for sure but it should be fine.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should be able to get it, people refer to this as a bridging study permit sometimes and is usually 3 months. If they refuse switch to visitor as SP is not required to get PGWP anymore but you need valid status, also I believe you cant work immediately if you apply for pgwp without a study permit.

Alfred98

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
You should be able to get it, people refer to this as a bridging study permit sometimes and is usually 3 months. If they refuse switch to visitor as SP is not required to get PGWP anymore but you need valid status, also I believe you cant work immediately if you apply for pgwp without a study permit.
Yes I know I can apply pgwp w/o SP but to apply pgwp, my final grade needs to be released while my SP duration.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Yes I know I can apply pgwp w/o SP but to apply pgwp, my final grade needs to be released while my SP duration.
No it doesnt, you just need valid status while applying. So you could be on visitor status, wait for your results and then apply for PGWP.

Alfred98

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
No it doesnt, you just need valid status while applying. So you could be on visitor status, wait for your results and then apply for PGWP.
Well, CIC website is clearly mentioning this:
You have 180 days after your school issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit. To be eligible for a PGWP, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.

This means my final grade needs to be out before the expiration of my SP. Correct me if I’m understanding it wrong.