+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension and Coop work permit

Appleapple

Aug 1, 2020
Hello. I am a full-time student.
I applied to Study permit extension and Coop work permit but received ONLY renewed Study permit. It says I am not allowed to work in off campus but on campus. My program is needed more than 6 months of studying and Coop. I submitted all required documents.
Is there anyone who knows a solution for this situation? Or anyone who experienced the similar situation as mine?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Appleapple

Aug 1, 2020
I really appreciate your reply. Although I am a full-time student, my study permit does not allow me to work in off campus. Therefore I am afraid of that if I am eligible to get Co-Op work permit. Should I request to amend my documents to work in off campus as well?

Thank you so much.
Appleapple

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
It is automatic for study permit holders studying full time at a qualifying DLI (i.e., if the study qualifies for a PGWP, for example). It would be very unusual for you to be specifically excluded from that. Some careless officers have been known to issue SPs without updated (and it's been a while now!) comments or restrictions

Reactions: Appleapple

Appleapple

Aug 1, 2020
It is automatic for study permit holders studying full time at a qualifying DLI (i.e., if the study qualifies for a PGWP, for example). It would be very unusual for you to be specifically excluded from that. Some careless officers have been known to issue SPs without updated (and it's been a while now!) comments or restrictions
Thank you very much for your kindness.
Yes, I am a full-time student at a designated learning institution to get a degree.
My classmate has study permit that allows her to work in on and off campus. But she hired an agency to apply to it and I did not. I believe that I did the right procedures...... If there is the possibility that I made a mistake there.....so I do not know well why this happened.

It is very complicated for me any more....
I would like to know how come I am not eligible for woking in off campus.....

I really appreciate you replied to me even on the weekend.
Appleapple

Appleapple

Aug 1, 2020
You can try flagpoling for your co-op work permit if you need it immediately.
Thank you for your reply.
I am considering to work in off campus with study permit for now if it authorizes me to do so.

I will keep your suggestion in my mind. Thank you so much.
Appleapple

Last edited:

arkadev123

Sep 7, 2019
I applied to Study permit extesion and Coop work permit but received ONLY renewed Study permit. It says I am not allowed to work in off campus but on campus. My program is needed more than 6 months of studying and Coop. I submitted all required documents.
Is there anyone who knows a solution for this situation? Or anyone who experienced the similar situation as mine?

Thank you in advance.
May I know when you applied please?

Appleapple

Aug 1, 2020
May I know when you applied please?
Thank you for your reply. I applied to study permit extension and co-op work permit on July 14 and received study permit 17 days later.
I think it was too fast but I do not know well because of the virus.

Appleapple

Harjas1997

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
I really appreciate your reply. Although I am a full-time student, my study permit does not allow me to work in off campus. Therefore I am afraid of that if I am eligible to get Co-Op work permit. Should I request to amend my documents to work in off campus as well?

Thank you so much.
Appleapple
Use this page to amend the conditions for your study permit.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

Harjas1997

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
I applied to Study permit extension and Coop work permit but received ONLY renewed Study permit. It says I am not allowed to work in off campus but on campus. My program is needed more than 6 months of studying and Coop. I submitted all required documents.

Thank you in advance.
Firstly, send the web form to confirm if your co-op work permit is still in process or not. OR call the client support centre.
link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html.
Otherwise, Get the letter of support from your school co-op office which states that co-op is part of your study and re-apply. But make sure to add the letter of explanation that you have applied earlier as well for co-op. By using a letter of explanation, the immigration officer will try to process your co-op application in a priority sequence.

Appleapple

Aug 1, 2020
Firstly, send the web form to confirm if your co-op work permit is still in process or not. OR call the client support centre.
link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html.
Otherwise, Get the letter of support from your school co-op office which states that co-op is part of your study and re-apply. But make sure to add the letter of explanation that you have applied earlier as well for co-op. By using a letter of explanation, the immigration officer will try to process your co-op application in a priority sequence.
Thank you so much for your time to reply to me.
I was forgetting that I saw my study permit and Co-Op work permit were approved simultaneously on the IRCC website. I am so embrrassed.
But I still have a question. I have not received approved Co-Op permit. Is there a possibility that these are mailed to my address separately?

If you could tell me something about it, that would be appreciated.
Appleapple

Harjas1997

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Thank you so much for your time to reply to me.
I was forgetting that I saw my study permit and Co-Op work permit were approved simultaneously on the IRCC website. I am so embrrassed.
But I still have a question. I have not received approved Co-Op permit. Is there a possibility that these are mailed to my address separately?

If you could tell me something about it, that would be appreciated.
Appleapple
They will mail you the hard copy for both study permit and co-op work permit. I think it will be mailed along with your study permit.