+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension 2024

ghimsu

Apr 22, 2024
Hello everyone,

My husband came to Canada for Masters study in 2021 December. He had a valid permit for 2 years 4 months. I came here in 2022 October. After finishing his Masters in 16 months he got fully funded PhD position at the same school and continued his study. He still had 1 year of valid permit and was within same school. We read this from ircc official website and continued study on same permit:

Moving to the next education level
If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels.

He has excellent academic records, 90% average and recipient of several awards without any breaks. More than two months before the permit expired, he applied for an extension along with my work permit. It has been more than normal time still it is showing background check in our account. Is this normal or there is anything we missed?
We are concerned about this delay, as my husband's PhD research is integral to his academic progression. We have submitted web forms to provide additional documentation, including his original study permit, transcripts, and a new enrollment letter for upcoming semester.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

My husband came to Canada for Masters study in 2021 December. He had a valid permit for 2 years 4 months. I came here in 2022 October. After finishing his Masters in 16 months he got fully funded PhD position at the same school and continued his study. He still had 1 year of valid permit and was within same school. We read this from ircc official website and continued study on same permit:

Moving to the next education level
If your study permit is still valid, you don’t need to change or apply for a new permit if you’re moving between school levels.

He has excellent academic records, 90% average and recipient of several awards without any breaks. More than two months before the permit expired, he applied for an extension along with my work permit. It has been more than normal time still it is showing background check in our account. Is this normal or there is anything we missed?
We are concerned about this delay, as my husband's PhD research is integral to his academic progression. We have submitted web forms to provide additional documentation, including his original study permit, transcripts, and a new enrollment letter for upcoming semester.
When did he apply for extension?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
He applied on January 27, 2024.
It could be normal and from experience they could be long processing time especially for incanada extension. you can raise webform explaining why you need decision as early as possible..