+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Expiry and PGWP Application

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pinch and would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation or advice

So backstory is that I am an international student that graduated this year and my study permit expires on July 31 (less than 2 weeks). I haven't applied for my work permit because I still owe tuition from last semester, and due to this they won't release my transcript and credential. My tuition hasn't been paid for completely because our family business has been closed due to the pandemic, so this is a really financial strain on us. I'm going to apply for my work permit next week after the final payment (before the permit expires).

My question is can my study permit expire while my work permit is being processed so I'm on 'implied status' and still be able work? I was told I might have to leave the country if it expires before I get my work permit or pay $600 to extend my stay while i wait for the permit. I have extended my study permit before, and been on implied status because my permit expired but I was still going to school and working so I thought it also applies when getting PGWP. Now I'm just anxious and worried since I've been trying to contact CIC to confirm and get the accurate information I need.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pinch and would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation or advice

So backstory is that I am an international student that graduated this year and my study permit expires on July 31 (less than 2 weeks). I haven't applied for my work permit because I still owe tuition from last semester, and due to this they won't release my transcript and credential. My tuition hasn't been paid for completely because our family business has been closed due to the pandemic, so this is a really financial strain on us. I'm going to apply for my work permit next week after the final payment (before the permit expires).

My question is can my study permit expire while my work permit is being processed so I'm on 'implied status' and still be able work? I was told I might have to leave the country if it expires before I get my work permit or pay $600 to extend my stay while i wait for the permit. I have extended my study permit before, and been on implied status because my permit expired but I was still going to school and working so I thought it also applies when getting PGWP. Now I'm just anxious and worried since I've been trying to contact CIC to confirm and get the accurate information I need.
If you apply for a PGWP while your study permit is still valid you are on implied status as a worker. You do not need to leave and can begin working full-time while you wait to receive your work permit.

If you are not going to be able to apply before your study permit expires, you need to apply to change your status to visitor beforehand, or leave Canada. You would still be eligible to apply for a PGWP up to 180 days from your date of program completion, but in this case would not benefit from implied status as a worker.

If your permit expires and you have done nothing, that's when you have to start paying additional fees to apply to restore your previous status.

Note that in the time between graduating and applying for a PGWP you are not allowed to work at all, so if you have this could present problems going forward.

Reactions: Jasmin Singh

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
I have submitted my application for PGWP. Now that I wait for my work permit can I work even after it expires in a week with no issues since I’m I’m on implied status now?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I have submitted my application for PGWP. Now that I wait for my work permit can I work even after it expires in a week with no issues since I’m I’m on implied status now?
Yes, you can begin working full-time under implied status. Your study permit expiry is no longer relevant.

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
I submitted my application without my transcript, completion of studies letter and job offer (I don’t have one yet). I was told with confidence by someone that ircc will contact me within 2 weeks to send the documents missing to them and my application won’t be rejected. She said it happened to her during her PR application. I wrote a letter to them, explaining my financial situation and how I’m still in the process of paying my fees and have one more payment left so because of that I don’t have access to the documents I need to submit. I’m kinda scared The more I think of it now but I already submitted it.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
They're not refusing applications outright for missing documents due to COVID, so your application will be on hold until you can submit your transcript and letter. You don't need a job offer as it's an open work permit.

Oluwablessed

Jul 30, 2020
Hi there,
I have a different kind of issue here, I applied for my PGWP and in the application there was an slight error where I chose my duration of work as 1 year instead of 3years, I just graduated from a post grad program and prior to that last year I completed my first program at a different college but because of the duration selected I was granted just a year of open work permit. I wanted to find out if I can apply for amendment and or apply for extension

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
I’m not sure of an amendment but I’m very sure you can apply for an extension by the time your PGWP would be expiring. I’m sure that extension for study permit and work permit are kind of similar. I have applied for a study permit extension while I was still in school. If you are still employed and you can apply for an extension.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can only apply to extend a PGWP if it was issued short due to passport expiry. If you made an error on the application you should seek to correct it now, not later. File for an amendment.

SomeoneAsking

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Just wanted to update you guys that I got approved for my PGWP on Feb 20th.
It took awful long, but just happy that I got it!
Thanks everyone :)

inandani

Mar 2, 2021
Hi,

I have got a PPR request, and after that there was an update from CIC regarding that they have received LOA for my new term . Initially I applied for an 2021 now they have sent me a PPR on 22 Feb and I submitted my passport after that they updated my account that they have got LOA? Will this impact my visa?