+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit expires same week my Master program End

bbk431

Oct 30, 2014
i am international student . i will finish my program of study by Dec, 22 2015 and my visa and study permit is going to expire by Dec, 31 2015,
now i need to know how to apply for the renewal of the study permit and Visa or extention of my visa and study permit cos i cant apply for post graduate work permit until my result is out by january. what do you think i can do

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you get a letter from your school that you will graduate on Jan, 2015 or so.
think you can apply for PGWP with it.

you can renew your student permit and have to send app before it is expired with proof that you are registered next semester as full time student.

P.S if it is last semester of your degree, you cannot renew a student permit, but apply for PGWP.

correct me if I am wrong.

bbk431

Oct 30, 2014
thanks for your comment, based on what you said is it possible to apply for PSWP when my final result is not ready? from what i read cic website part of the documents i need to submit is letter of confirmation of studies which should be issued by my school. and i am not sure if school can issue this until my results are out

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was able to get it before I got grade but it is few years ago and not sure how it works for your school.
so I would ask student service and international student centre at your school, if you can.

if they could not get you, then you might wanna ask your profs to get early result for your test then you can get the letter.

Good luck.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
bbk431 said:
i am international student . i will finish my program of study by Dec, 22 2015 and my visa and study permit is going to expire by Dec, 31 2015,
now i need to know how to apply for the renewal of the study permit and Visa or extention of my visa and study permit cos i cant apply for post graduate work permit until my result is out by january. what do you think i can do
u can talk to ur international students office they normally give a letter for CIC which u can use to get a 3 month extension on ur study permit. see if ur college/university has this procedure

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
bbk431 said:
Hi BBK,

I had the same problem. My masters program finished on Aug 31 and my study permit and visa also expired on the same day - Aug 31. I had to apply for a study permit extension - this is called a "bridge extension". Be sure to attach a cover letter with your online application, explaining that you need the three months extension so that you can apply for a PGWP after your graduation (and after you receive a letter from your university confirming that you have completed all requirements for graduation/or a final transcript). Hope this helps!

rabrakha

Champion Member
Dec 4, 2013
chandigarh
Visa Office......
chandigarh
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Ainp applied 18 may 2016, File No July,15, 2016. PR applied 29 dec 2016
Doc's Request.
August 22, 2016
Nomination.....
28 Sep 2016
AOR Received.
AOR PR 15 feb 2017
IELTS Request
6(R-5.5,W-6,S-6,L-6.5)
File Transfer...
5-dec-2013-GENERAL-UNIERSITY
Med's Request
pre medical done
Med's Done....
PR Med 8 Jan 2018
Interview........
Study visa 31-dec-2013
Passport Req..
PPR PP req and DM: sep 12, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
31-dec-2013
LANDED..........
13-january-2014, PR Landing: 7 Oct,2018
apply for bridging study permit

bbk431

Oct 30, 2014
NaomiA said:
Hi BBK,

I had the same problem. My masters program finished on Aug 31 and my study permit and visa also expired on the same day - Aug 31. I had to apply for a study permit extension - this is called a "bridge extension". Be sure to attach a cover letter with your online application, explaining that you need the three months extension so that you can apply for a PGWP after your graduation (and after you receive a letter from your university confirming that you have completed all requirements for graduation/or a final transcript). Hope this helps!
Thanks for your reply,please i will like to know the documents you submit along with your bridge extension and i will like to know if you have apply for your PSWP

Did you submit financial documents along with it

Thanks

Jaymin007

Oct 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NaomiA said:
Hi BBK,

Hi!

I am in the same situation but i am in my first semester now and still i have one more semester left. but my study permit expire on same day as my last day of last semester. So can u advise me should i apply bridge extension now? or wait ? and can you send me your letter of explanation so i can edit mine. Thank you

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
bbk431 said:
Thanks for your reply,please i will like to know the documents you submit along with your bridge extension and i will like to know if you have apply for your PSWP

Did you submit financial documents along with it

Thanks
Hi BBK

Well I first filled out to the Come to Canada tool and put in my information. It then showed that I was eligible for a bridge extension and generated a code, which in turn generated a personalized document checklist for my application. The document checklist will vary for different applicants - so do make sure to follow your own check list so as not to miss out important documents.

I can give you information about the documents I needed to submit (though there is no guarantee that you need to submit the same - you might need to submit more or less documents, depending on your own status). In my case, I submitted a copy of my passport, copy of current study permit, letter of registration from my uni along with current transcript, digital photo, proof of funds, proof of medical examination conducted when I first applied for the study permit from outside Canada and the completed form.

I also needed to submit other supporting documents for my husband (since he was also extending his work permit).

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Jaymin007 said:
Hi!

I am in the same situation but i am in my first semester now and still i have one more semester left. but my study permit expire on same day as my last day of last semester. So can u advise me should i apply bridge extension now? or wait ? and can you send me your letter of explanation so i can edit mine. Thank you
Hi Jaymin,

It really depends on exactly when your study permit is expiring.

My one was expiring in August 2015, so I applied in April 2015. The processing times greatly vary, when I had applied the CIC website had said that it usually take 30 days to extend study permit but the processing time started increased as I applied during a rush season. It eventually took 85 days for my extension to arrive and I was glad I applied early because I got it in time (in spite of the crazy delays).

I could share the outline of my cover letter with you - would you like to leave your email address in my inbox?

AABH

Sep 8, 2013
NaomiA said:
Hi BBK

Well I first filled out to the Come to Canada tool and put in my information. It then showed that I was eligible for a bridge extension and generated a code, which in turn generated a personalized document checklist for my application. The document checklist will vary for different applicants - so do make sure to follow your own check list so as not to miss out important documents.

I can give you information about the documents I needed to submit (though there is no guarantee that you need to submit the same - you might need to submit more or less documents, depending on your own status). In my case, I submitted a copy of my passport, copy of current study permit, letter of registration from my uni along with current transcript, digital photo, proof of funds, proof of medical examination conducted when I first applied for the study permit from outside Canada and the completed form.

I also needed to submit other supporting documents for my husband (since he was also extending his work permit).
(" copy of current study permit ")
I applied online for SP extension inside Canada , they didn't ask me for copy of my current study permit or proof of medical examination

bbk431

Oct 30, 2014
NaomiA said:
Hi BBK

Hi NaomiA ,

I am trying to create a checklist on cic website but i cant see the bridge extension. i don't mind if you can give me the link to get to the bridge extension application. secondly i will be applying along with my husband and daughter, am kind of wondering how long it took your husband open work permit to come out. thanks

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
AABH said:
(" copy of current study permit ")
I applied online for SP extension inside Canada , they didn't ask me for copy of my current study permit or proof of medical examination
Strange. They asked for proof of the medical exam carried out from my country of origin (before I came to Canada). Also my husbands. I guess the checklist varies from case to case and depends on the country of origin...

NaomiA

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
bbk431 said:
Hi NaomiA ,

I am trying to create a checklist on cic website but i cant see the bridge extension. i don't mind if you can give me the link to get to the bridge extension application. secondly i will be applying along with my husband and daughter, am kind of wondering how long it took your husband open work permit to come out. thanks
Sorry BBK - I wasn't clear in my first post. When I filled out the Come to Canada questionnaire, it showed that I was eligible for a study permit extension and then pointed me to the relevant form. So I don't have a link that I can forward to you...

My husband and I applied together and our applications were approved at the same time too...