+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit expires before getting letter of graduation

taranvirmodi

Oct 15, 2017
Question number 7 on page 1 of imm 5710e. It asks for current country of residence and status and status from and expiry date.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Question number 7 on page 1 of imm 5710e. It asks for current country of residence and status and status from and expiry date.
Your status is no longer student, you should probably be selecting Other there and putting your implied status in the explanation box. If you select Other then the dates are not required.

May 1, 2017
Hello, Need your help, my wife is on a student permit and her visa is until Mar 2021. I am with her on an OWP and it is valid until the end of 2020. We would like to stay and continue working here. How can we go about it?

bishalPodder

Jun 10, 2020
You should have applied for an extension about 4 months ago. You should apply now with an explanation as to why you need the extension and any supporting docs, unfortunately it was taking 3-4 months for extension before Covid-19 so you have a long wait ahead. If your permit expires then its even worse, you would need to apply for restoration + study permit + pgwp and restoration has no given time frame.
Hello,
I am facing same kind o issue now. My study permit expiring on 31st Dec and my course is about to complete in middle of December. But I am not expecting documents from university before 31st dec so that I can apply for PGWP before that. I started application for visitor record to extend my status as visitor after 31st December but confused with some of the fields:
1. What should be my purpose of extension? (No specific dropdown list available stating my cause)
2. How much amount I should show in my account since currently I am studying as student and my current semester fee has been cleared by parents

Thanks

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello,
I am facing same kind o issue now. My study permit expiring on 31st Dec and my course is about to complete in middle of December. But I am not expecting documents from university before 31st dec so that I can apply for PGWP before that. I started application for visitor record to extend my status as visitor after 31st December but confused with some of the fields:
1. What should be my purpose of extension? (No specific dropdown list available stating my cause)
2. How much amount I should show in my account since currently I am studying as student and my current semester fee has been cleared by parents

Thanks
Again you should be applying for SP extension not visitor, see my other post in this same thread.

bishalPodder

Jun 10, 2020
I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I applied for study permit extwnsion and they obviously rejected it because i didnt have any pending study. But i had applied for visitor visa as well. When we are applying for work permit, in the application they ask if we have stayed more than our visa(like without status in canada). With visitor visa you will save that status. And once you receive your graduation lettwr apply for wp on the same day. But do it online. Do not go to border. They get limited number of people to process suchh applications so they do more enquiries and have more chances of rejection there(thats also if they accept your application there, as they recommend you to apply online). I was told by cic to apply for visitor visa nd then apply for wp
Hello,

Thanks

Oct 10, 2020
You should have applied for an extension about 4 months ago. You should apply now with an explanation as to why you need the extension and any supporting docs, unfortunately it was taking 3-4 months for extension before Covid-19 so you have a long wait ahead. If your permit expires then its even worse, you would need to apply for restoration + study permit + pgwp and restoration has no given timeframe.
Hi,
I am currently in the same situation. My visa expires on 31/12/2020 and I will not be getting my results until Jan 2021, which is problematic for my PGWP application. On the website it states :

If your study permit will expire before you get your marks, you have 2 options. You can
You have mentioned that a good option would be to apply for a study permit extension. However in a previous comment on this thread, avn2992 mentioned that they applied for an extension of the study permit but it was rejected.

If I went for the Visitor Record option, it requires me to have Guarantor and details of means of travel out of Canada, etc. It seems like to Visitor record is a more general application catered for many use cases, which makes it a bit ambiguous.

I would prefer to apply for the study permit extension because it's catered to students. Can you share your thoughts on this? Can you confirm that the extension is a viable solution to my situation?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi,
I am currently in the same situation. My visa expires on 31/12/2020 and I will not be getting my results until Jan 2021, which is problematic for my PGWP application. On the website it states :

If your study permit will expire before you get your marks, you have 2 options. You can
You have mentioned that a good option would be to apply for a study permit extension. However in a previous comment on this thread, avn2992 mentioned that they applied for an extension of the study permit but it was rejected.

If I went for the Visitor Record option, it requires me to have Guarantor and details of means of travel out of Canada, etc. It seems like to Visitor record is a more general application catered for many use cases, which makes it a bit ambiguous.

I would prefer to apply for the study permit extension because it's catered to students. Can you share your thoughts on this? Can you confirm that the extension is a viable solution to my situation?
You should be able to get 3 months "bridging" study permit, this doesnt actually exist as a thing but they do grant them as they did mine, you need to explain what it is you want and why in the letter.
You can also switch to visitor but if you apply for pgwp with a visitor status then you cant work until the pgwp is granted.

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
You should be able to get 3 months "bridging" study permit, this doesnt actually exist as a thing but they do grant them as they did mine, you need to explain what it is you want and why in the letter.
You can also switch to visitor but if you apply for pgwp with a visitor status then you cant work until the pgwp is granted.
What bongoman said.

If you apply for a study permit extension (SPE), you'll have to add an additional letter of explanation stating why you applied for a SPE even though you will be finishing your studies at the end of December. The issue is that, technically speaking, you will not be "continuing your studies" into 2021.

I would advise that you check to see if there is an immigration consultant available for students at your education institution - they can provide advice for free. If not, consult with a paralegal. You don't want to end up having your SPE rejected and end up out of status in Canada during this pandemic.

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Also, read this thread. It will be a helpful reference if you decide to go the SPE extension route, and it ends up getting rejected in the future. It looks like you would get an order to leave the country. But you MAY still be eligible to stay in Canada if you try to restore your status as a visitor. Strongly advise you speak with an immigration consultant at school/university, or pay a paralegal for advice.:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-visitor-visa-restoration-after-refusal-of-student-visa-extension.705393/

Oct 10, 2020
Thanks I will do that then. Could you tell me what the requirements for proof of means of support for my case then?

Oct 10, 2020
Also, read this thread. It will be a helpful reference if you decide to go the SPE extension route, and it ends up getting rejected in the future. It looks like you would get an order to leave the country. But you MAY still be eligible to stay in Canada if you try to restore your status as a visitor. Strongly advise you speak with an immigration consultant at school/university, or pay a paralegal for advice.:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-visitor-visa-restoration-after-refusal-of-student-visa-extension.705393/
Hi, Yes I just read that. Seems like the applicant applied too early, and that he did not apply for a PGWP while his application was in process. I am quite certain that it played a big part in his refusal. Quite clearly he does not require a Study Permit extension in the officer's eyes, as he hasn't shown any indication that the study permit was for PGWP nor has he made an application for it.

I have spoken to IRCC and their suggestion was to apply for the extension. But these forums confuse you sometimes

hbj

Nov 12, 2020
Hi,
so I am in a similar case as you guys, but I also have a part time job that I do not wish to lose.

I read that I can apply for an extension of my Study permit before the end of the term, however my CAQ also expires on the same date (31/12/2020).
Do I have to re apply for both CAQ and Study permit or just the study permit is enough while explaining that I will be graduating and need the PGWP.

Thanks for helping as this is stressing me quite a lot

vahid_mh

Jan 9, 2021
Your status is no longer student, you should probably be selecting Other there and putting your implied status in the explanation box. If you select Other then the dates are not required.
Hello, I am facing the same issue. I wonder if your problem was solved with the selection of "Other"?