+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit expires before getting letter of graduation

taranvirmodi

Oct 15, 2017
Hi friends
My study permit expires on 30th april,2020 and i am completing my studies on 14 april but the thing is my college takes a month to get a graduation letter. We need transcripts and graduation letter to apply for PGWP. If i am expecting graduation letter in mid May, my study permit will expire.
please let me know how can i apply for PGWP after my study permit has expired.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should have applied for an extension about 4 months ago. You should apply now with an explanation as to why you need the extension and any supporting docs, unfortunately it was taking 3-4 months for extension before Covid-19 so you have a long wait ahead. If your permit expires then its even worse, you would need to apply for restoration + study permit + pgwp and restoration has no given timeframe.

avn2992

Aug 30, 2019
Ontario
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-08-2019
Hi friends
My study permit expires on 30th april,2020 and i am completing my studies on 14 april but the thing is my college takes a month to get a graduation letter. We need transcripts and graduation letter to apply for PGWP. If i am expecting graduation letter in mid May, my study permit will expire.
please let me know how can i apply for PGWP after my study permit has expired.
I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I applied for study permit extwnsion and they obviously rejected it because i didnt have any pending study. But i had applied for visitor visa as well. When we are applying for work permit, in the application they ask if we have stayed more than our visa(like without status in canada). With visitor visa you will save that status. And once you receive your graduation lettwr apply for wp on the same day. But do it online. Do not go to border. They get limited number of people to process suchh applications so they do more enquiries and have more chances of rejection there(thats also if they accept your application there, as they recommend you to apply online). I was told by cic to apply for visitor visa nd then apply for wp

avn2992

Aug 30, 2019
Ontario
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-08-2019
Thanks fo the help guys. I really appreciate it. I will apply for visitor visa.
I requested my college's international center to send me the transcripts earlier due to my status They did it the very next day of my final exam. U must try that too. No harm in trying right.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Thanks fo the help guys. I really appreciate it. I will apply for visitor visa.
Do not apply for visitor, get an extension if you explain that it is for pgwp they will grant you a 3 months extension, if you apply with any other permit you cant work until you get pgwp. Also there is no nore flag polling at all now due to covid. You should of course ask your college if you can get proof of graduation immediately that is the best option.

taranvirmodi

Oct 15, 2017
I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I applied for study permit extwnsion and they obviously rejected it because i didnt have any pending study. But i had applied for visitor visa as well. When we are applying for work permit, in the application they ask if we have stayed more than our visa(like without status in canada). With visitor visa you will save that status. And once you receive your graduation lettwr apply for wp on the same day. But do it online. Do not go to border. They get limited number of people to process suchh applications so they do more enquiries and have more chances of rejection there(thats also if they accept your application there, as they recommend you to apply online). I was told by cic to apply for visitor visa nd then apply for wp
could you please let me know if you applied for PGWP before study permit got expired or after.

avn2992

Aug 30, 2019
Ontario
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-08-2019
After. As my study permit expired the same day final exam was. I had already applied for visitor visa before that. when I got my transcripts & graduation letter (my college was very helpful), i applied for work permit.

taranvirmodi

Oct 15, 2017
After. As my study permit expired the same day final exam was. I had already applied for visitor visa before that. when I got my transcripts & graduation letter (my college was very helpful), i applied for work permit.
Can you clear one thing please. Did you apply for work permit on an applied status of visitor visa or you applied work permit after visitor visa got approved.

Jay Parekh

Feb 17, 2020
I'm currently in the same situation my study permit is expiring on 30th april 2020. Although I have applied for Study permit extension with requesting time to apply for PGWP, today I ask my professor and university to release my documents as early as possible and they accepted my request too. So I would suggest you to request your institution to do so.

taranvirmodi

Oct 15, 2017
my visitor visa was in process.
Hi
I need your help again, as my study permit expired on 30th april, i applied for visitor visa but now i received my graduation letter and i want to apply for my work permit. While filling the imm 5710e they ask for study permit expiry date.m and i filled 30th April but it shows error and says that expiry date should be in future. What did you do in this situation.

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hi
I need your help again, as my study permit expired on 30th april, i applied for visitor visa but now i received my graduation letter and i want to apply for my work permit. While filling the imm 5710e they ask for study permit expiry date.m and i filled 30th April but it shows error and says that expiry date should be in future. What did you do in this situation.
Which page and question number is that?