+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit expires before approval of Post Graduate Work Permit

sadiqmech68

May 11, 2020
Hi,
Hope you are well.
I was hoping any one could help me with my query.
I recently completed my post graduation and my study permit expires in 50 days. Can I apply for PGWP or should I first extend my study permit and then apply for PGWP as PGWP approval takes 90 to process. If I can apply for PGWP, am I allowed to work full time during the processing time (eventhough my study permit shall expire).

Last edited:

zwsea19

Nov 10, 2019
you do not need to extend your study permit (if you do, it is likely to be denied as you already graduate). You could work fulltime after applying PGWP on implied status. But you got to start your full-time work before your study permit (and sin) expiration date.

sadiqmech68

May 11, 2020
you do not need to extend your study permit (if you do, it is likely to be denied as you already graduate). You could work fulltime after applying PGWP on implied status. But you got to start your full-time work before your study permit (and sin) expiration date.
Thanks for the reply. so I start working before study permit expiry or I should start working after I get work permit

Ishan5557

Star Member
Apr 7, 2020
I don't think there's any such condition that you got to start working before your study permit or sin expires. You could start work full-time even your study permit expired and you're on implied status as all the rules are still applicable that were in your study permit.

pemyrie

May 15, 2009
Hi,
Hope you are well.
I was hoping any one could help me with my query.
I recently completed my post graduation and my study permit expires in 50 days. Can I apply for PGWP or should I first extend my study permit and then apply for PGWP as PGWP approval takes 90 to process. If I can apply for PGWP, am I allowed to work full time during the processing time (eventhough my study permit shall expire).
Once you get your letter of completion from your College/ University you can go ahead and apply for your PGWP. Once you have submitted that application you can go ahead and start working as you will be under implied status once your study permit expires.

pemyrie

May 15, 2009
you can read:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html#after

and also, here's an excerpt:
Working after you complete your study program

After you complete your study program, there are 2 ways you may be able to work full-time:
  • you already applied for a work permit before your study permit expired or
  • you’re starting a new study program
You need to meet all the requirements listed below to work full-time. If we refuse your work or study permit application, you must stop working and leave Canada.

If you already applied for a work permit

You can work full-time if you meet all of these requirements:
  • You were already able to work off campus during your studies
  • You applied for a work permit or post-graduation work permit (PGWP) before your study permit expired
  • You’re waiting for a decision on your work permit application

zwsea19

Nov 10, 2019
Thanks for the reply. so I start working before study permit expiry or I should start working after I get work permit
just in case of sin expiration. We cannot work with valid sin, sin expires with study permit in most cases. Correct me if I am wrong

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
just in case of sin expiration. We cannot work with valid sin, sin expires with study permit in most cases. Correct me if I am wrong
You are wrong. You can continue to work on an expired SIN as long as you have legal status to work.

zwsea19

Nov 10, 2019
You are wrong. You can continue to work on an expired SIN as long as you have legal status to work.
I mean to start a new job after applying PGWP, you need to have a valid sin. You can continue work in the same position even your study permit and sin expired.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I mean to start a new job after applying PGWP, you need to have a valid sin. You can continue work in the same position even your study permit and sin expired.
Incorrect. Provided the employer is satisfied of your legal right to work, you can start a new job with an expired SIN.