+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit expired while waiting for decision

tiffaany

Mar 29, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am now on study permit and it will expire on July 31 2016
I have been in a common law relationship with my boyfriend and now we are applying for the permanent residence. I haven't send my application yet but will do in these few weeks. and i will apply for the open work permit as well

Just wondering if I am legal to stay in Canada while waiting for the decision or i must leave Canada by then.

And one more question, for filling in the application to change condition form. Under details of intended work in canada i should put open work permit as the type of work permit im applying right? so do i have to fill in the following questions? and attach any original offer of employment?

Thanks so much!

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you are qualified, you can apply for post graduate work permit, then you can work when you are waiting for PGWP.

if you do not apply for pgwp, you are implied status in Canada after you apply for inland app and owp .

tiffaany

Mar 29, 2016
Ponga said:
Are you currently studying? If not, when did you stop?
My study permit is valid till July 31 2016
But i dropped off from school since July 2015
will there be any issue?

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
If you pulled out of your course then your study permit should have been voided by now.

Or do you mean that you are still enrolled in the study programme but are just not attending classes/going to the exams etc.?

tiffaany

Mar 29, 2016
canadausa#11 said:
If you pulled out of your course then your study permit should have been voided by now.

Or do you mean that you are still enrolled in the study programme but are just not attending classes/going to the exams etc.?
Yes I believe im still under the study programme, if i go back to college i can still take courses. i just didnt enroll for courses since 2015 july. will that be ok?

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
Not entirely sure about how that works for study permits, maybe it expires 90 days after the study permit expiration date and not 90 days after ceasing taking the course? Might be better off asking in the international students forum. But you can apply online to change your status to visitor anyway

tiffaany

Mar 29, 2016
canadausa#11 said:
Not entirely sure about how that works for study permits, maybe it expires 90 days after the study permit expiration date and not 90 days after ceasing taking the course? Might be better off asking in the international students forum. But you can apply online to change your status to visitor anyway
alright!! thanks so much for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
tiffaany said:
Yes I believe im still under the study programme, if i go back to college i can still take courses. i just didnt enroll for courses since 2015 july. will that be ok?
No, that's not OK.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

Your educational institution will report to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on your continued enrolment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status.

It's quite possible your study permit has already been revoked and you are here illegally.

tiffaany

Mar 29, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
No, that's not OK.

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

Your educational institution will report to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on your continued enrolment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status.

It's quite possible your study permit has already been revoked and you are here illegally.
Thanks for your reply!
Mmhm i didn't know about that, so do you think it will affect my application in spouse sponsorship? how do i know if my study permit is still valid or not?

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can check out your status on your account on cic (If you have one)

anyway, your illegal status in Canada would affect on your sponsorship app.

not sure if it is too late, you may wanna take care of your status first then apply for PR.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tiffaany said:
Thanks for your reply!
Mmhm i didn't know about that, so do you think it will affect my application in spouse sponsorship? how do i know if my study permit is still valid or not?
Yes! If CIC is aware that you stopped studying last year, they will know that you are out of status in Canada and you would NOT qualify for an OWP.

And...you run the risk of being removed from Canada.