+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit expedite

sha121

May 5, 2020
Hi. I would like to apply study permit but my course in starting in 8 weeks. However, IRCC mentioned that it will take 11 weeks to process from Singapore. Do you think there is a chance I could get permit in less than 8 weeks?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. I would like to apply study permit but my course in starting in 8 weeks. However, IRCC mentioned that it will take 11 weeks to process from Singapore. Do you think there is a chance I could get permit in less than 8 weeks?
If you check online processing times, it's 13 weeks right now for Singapore. There is always some chance yours will be processed faster. However generally speaking, everything is delayed right now due to COVID-19.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

tanxa

Jun 29, 2020
As of right now you cant travel even if you get the permit.
I've been a little confused by the situation now. It seems to me earlier that if you are traveling directly from the US, and you are traveling for an essential purpose, you can actually enter Canada now.

The IRCC website previously defined "essential" and included study/work as essential. However, when I checked the website today, I couldn't find that description anymore. The definition of "essential travel" went back to: "Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation, or entertainment."

Instead of defining what is essential, IRCC ambiguously gives us examples of non-essential travel. My question is: if someone gets his/her study permit approved now, and travels from the US, can he/she enter Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've been a little confused by the situation now. It seems to me earlier that if you are traveling directly from the US, and you are traveling for an essential purpose, you can actually enter Canada now.

The IRCC website previously defined "essential" and included study/work as essential. However, when I checked the website today, I couldn't find that description anymore. The definition of "essential travel" went back to: "Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation, or entertainment."

Instead of defining what is essential, IRCC ambiguously gives us examples of non-essential travel. My question is: if someone gets his/her study permit approved now, and travels from the US, can he/she enter Canada?
It will ultimately be up to the CBSA officer to show your travel is essential.

You'll want to show that your class is going to be delivered in person and not online. Many programs have temporarily moved online in which case there is no need for someone to travel to Canada right now. I would also recommend waiting until closer to the start of classes before you travel if possible (i.e. ideally not now).

Make sure you already have an approved study permit since they aren't taking applications at the POE.

tanxa

Jun 29, 2020
It will ultimately be up to the CBSA officer to show your travel is essential.

You'll want to show that your class is going to be delivered in person and not online. Many programs have temporarily moved online in which case there is no need for someone to travel to Canada right now. I would also recommend waiting until closer to the start of classes before you travel if possible (i.e. ideally not now).

Make sure you already have an approved study permit since they aren't taking applications at the POE.
Make sense! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this