+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit doesn’t state that i’m allowed to work

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
hi everyone, i just got to canada today, and the officer didn’t put on my permit that i am allowed to work. I told him that I have read that students had issues because they didn’t have it on their permit, but he told me it was fine... i guess i have to call the number on the back of my visa? Thanks so much!

Dirki

Aug 2, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Hi,

Congratulations on your permit!

If you are eligible to work in Canada but your study permit states you "may not work" or "may not accept employment", you'll need to amend your study permit to get the right wording in order to work. In the case where it is left blank or does not necessarily mention anything about being restricted from working, then you're fine.

Document checklist and amendment form can be viewed here. [IMM 1436]

On page 2, leave all of Section B and question #1 in Section C.

In Section C question #2, write the following (as applicable):
Please amend my study permit to reflect my eligibility to work on and off campus in Canada so that I may apply for a Social Insurance Number. I am a full-time, degree-seeking student at the University of Windsor. Thank you.
Make sure you sign and date your application. It will be returned to you if it is not signed.

Upon completing the required documents and checklist, mail your documents to:

Temporary Resident Document Operation Support Centre (OSC)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1L1

Processing times vary from 1 to 2 months.

Best of luck!

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks so much. The problem is that it doesn’t state anything. There is nothing under conditions or remarks..

Esther li

Sep 27, 2019
Hi, I meet the same issue here. I am a high school international student, but it doesn't state anything about I cannot work in Canada or either that I can work on/off-campus. For this case, can I apply for a study permit amendment to change the condition? Can I work?

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hi, I meet the same issue here. I am a high school international student, but it doesn't state anything about I cannot work in Canada or either that I can work on/off-campus. For this case, can I apply for a study permit amendment to change the condition? Can I work?
Not sure whether high school students are allowed to work off campus, but if you sre, you can just get your study permit updated. It should be on the ircc website. It takes about 4 weeks to get the new one I think.

Esther li

Sep 27, 2019
Not sure whether high school students are allowed to work off campus, but if you sre, you can just get your study permit updated. It should be on the ircc website. It takes about 4 weeks to get the new one I think.
By updating the study permit, do you mean to amend?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
High school students aren't allowed to work. You cannot apply for an amendment.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
On a study permit you cannot work unless it is written in the comments section that you are allowed to work. If you are eligible to work then as has been pointed out by dirki , you need to go for amendment of your permit. It takes about 1 month for amendment to take place.

Reactions: Esther li

proactivejaf

Aug 17, 2015
Hi Experts,

I need help ASAP please.

My sister landed last week and we went to get her the SIN but her study permit doesnt state anywhere that she is allowed to work. There is nothing written under the "conditions".

I am wondering what to do now? Can anyone please guide us who went through a similar situation?

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hi Experts,

I need help ASAP please.

My sister landed last week and we went to get her the SIN but her study permit doesnt state anywhere that she is allowed to work. There is nothing written under the "conditions".

I am wondering what to do now? Can anyone please guide us who went through a similar situation?

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks
you need to amend the study permit. I suggest googling it. It’s all pretty well explained. Good luck!