+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Approved :) Need Advice

powerpay

Dec 4, 2016
Good day to all,

I'm from a visa required country and I got approved recently to study starting in September 2017.

Now I want to bring my wife, child and mother in law with me (we all have Canadian visitor visa prior to my application to study. Based on information found on the CIC website my wife (can applied for OWP at port of entry and child can come since she's under 3 years of age. But no where does it say anything about grandparents or in laws. My mother in law takes care of our daughter so We would definitely like her to come not a just a visitor but would like for her to stay for the duration of my study.

I am planning to travel to Canada 1 month before my family then I would travel back home and come back with them. so my question is can you share with me from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

1) the process of my wife getting OWP at port of entry and what can I do so my mother in law is allowed to stay longer than the 6 months which visitors normally gets.

2) when I land in what MUST I show besides my letter of acceptance, study visa stamp with letter and passport.

3) If there a different study permit that I will get from the officer when I land at the airport etc as my student visa stamped in passport already. what exactly will I get from the officer

Reactions: shanzra

shanzra

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) OWP for ur wife is totally upto discreation of immigrtion officer at port of entry. Officer reserves right to deny or accept that request. OR u can apply later being there by entrying via visitor visa. Your mother in law can extend her stay upto 9 months maximum that to by informing cic through valid reason.
2) Carry GIC statement, LOA and passport with study visa stamp and letter.
3) Oficer will attached a page in ur passport that will be ur study permit. u just need to provide him with above mentioned documents and he will do the rest for u.

powerpay

Dec 4, 2016
1) OWP for ur wife is totally upto discreation of immigrtion officer at port of entry. Officer reserves right to deny or accept that request. OR u can apply later being there by entrying via visitor visa. Your mother in law can extend her stay upto 9 months maximum that to by informing cic through valid reason.
2) Carry GIC statement, LOA and passport with study visa stamp and letter.
3) Oficer will attached a page in ur passport that will be ur study permit. u just need to provide him with above mentioned documents and he will do the rest for u.
Ok thanks for the reply what's a GIC statement ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Based on information found on the CIC website my wife (can applied for OWP at port of entry and child can come since she's under 3 years of age. But no where does it say anything about grandparents or in laws. My mother in law takes care of our daughter so We would definitely like her to come not a just a visitor but would like for her to stay for the duration of my study.
It doesn't say anything about grandparents or in-laws because they are completely independent of your application/status. Your mother-in-law can enter as a visitor and provided she can show sufficient proof of funds, would most likely be granted the standard 6 months. She cannot be granted a longer stay based on your status. She needs to be very careful with what she says, as coming here to care for your child is actually considered to be working, which is illegal as a visitor.

She can apply for an extension of her visitor status but there are no guarantees that it will be approved. The longer that she tries to stay, the higher the chance of refusal.

Also note that as a visitor, she will not have healthcare coverage in Canada. She can purchase travel insurance that will cover emergencies but for any regular medical needs, she will have to pay out-of-pocket.

Puneeth14

Nov 9, 2015
Good day to all,

I'm from a visa required country and I got approved recently to study starting in September 2017.

Now I want to bring my wife, child and mother in law with me (we all have Canadian visitor visa prior to my application to study. Based on information found on the CIC website my wife (can applied for OWP at port of entry and child can come since she's under 3 years of age. But no where does it say anything about grandparents or in laws. My mother in law takes care of our daughter so We would definitely like her to come not a just a visitor but would like for her to stay for the duration of my study.

I am planning to travel to Canada 1 month before my family then I would travel back home and come back with them. so my question is can you share with me from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

1) the process of my wife getting OWP at port of entry and what can I do so my mother in law is allowed to stay longer than the 6 months which visitors normally gets.

2) when I land in what MUST I show besides my letter of acceptance, study visa stamp with letter and passport.

3) If there a different study permit that I will get from the officer when I land at the airport etc as my student visa stamped in passport already. what exactly will I get from the officer

Puneeth14

Nov 9, 2015
Hi, I am in the same situation as you but my wife is going to apply for student and I want to come with an open work permit. Is it best to apply her student visa first, get it done and then apply for open work permit or apply both together? Please suggest which is the best approach. Waiting for your reply.

powerpay

Dec 4, 2016
It doesn't say anything about grandparents or in-laws because they are completely independent of your application/status. Your mother-in-law can enter as a visitor and provided she can show sufficient proof of funds, would most likely be granted the standard 6 months. She cannot be granted a longer stay based on your status. She needs to be very careful with what she says, as coming here to care for your child is actually considered to be working, which is illegal as a visitor.

She can apply for an extension of her visitor status but there are no guarantees that it will be approved. The longer that she tries to stay, the higher the chance of refusal.

Also note that as a visitor, she will not have healthcare coverage in Canada. She can purchase travel insurance that will cover emergencies but for any regular medical needs, she will have to pay out-of-pocket.
Ok thanks for the response yeah I'm hoping that she'd be able to get a work permit or something so she can stay longer.

powerpay

Dec 4, 2016
Hi, I am in the same situation as you but my wife is going to apply for student and I want to come with an open work permit. Is it best to apply her student visa first, get it done and then apply for open work permit or apply both together? Please suggest which is the best approach. Waiting for your reply.
Hello from what I read you can do either of the two. For me personally I had a lot of travel history visited USA on more than 5 occasions with my wife & also a family trip . So when we all applied for a visa together, it was no hassle, all of us got our visitor visa last year. Now when it came time to applied for the study visa I decided to just do my application alone (applied Feb 2017) due to some missing documents it delayed my application time, got an approval message mid April 2017. I figured my wife can apply for OWP when she lands because she has a visitor visa already.

Puneeth14

Nov 9, 2015
Hello from what I read you can do either of the two. For me personally I had a lot of travel history visited USA on more than 5 occasions with my wife & also a family trip . So when we all applied for a visa together, it was no hassle, all of us got our visitor visa last year. Now when it came time to applied for the study visa I decided to just do my application alone (applied Feb 2017) due to some missing documents it delayed my application time, got an approval message mid April 2017. I figured my wife can apply for OWP when she lands because she has a visitor visa already.

Laulau

May 11, 2017
Hello I have question instead.
What if it's for a student permit and visa extension, how much should I show for financial support? Also, my parents are the one paying.
Is it possible for me to extend my letter of Acceptance validity? I am going to enter my second year of university next semester in another institution (University of Manitoba) and my current letter of acceptance (from International College of Manitoba) has already expired in April even though I am still studying there now (my last semester). I applied for the university of Manitoba but I haven't received a new letter of Acceptance yet but my study permit expires the 15th of june...do you know what I can do please? Thank you and sorry but I am very desperate right now :'(