+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit applying for fall 2020

Sabrina88

Apr 27, 2020
Me I got an admission for my master degree starting in fall 2020 and I want to apply for visa but because of the situation related to covid 19 I understood that many of canadians centers where students permits application are processed are now closed until further notice. Moreoever canada have closed their borders since March. So I wonder how I will be able to travel do my master there ? Maybe in january 2021 it will be possible I hope.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You apply for permit online doesnt matter that center is closed, no one knows the future but there is already talk on plans to reopen things at least locally so hopefully by September flights will be allowed or they might allow students in because school would be crippled without the income from international students for so long.
Worst case you can just move your acceptance to the next intake if the ban is still on.

Sabrina88

Apr 27, 2020
Yes, I already planned to start my program online for fall semester and try to come in winter semester starting in january 2021 but seeing the current situation caused by the covid19 I'm afraid that the borders will remains closed even on january 2021. I wonder if there is any hope to go there as I heard in the news that they are waiting for a vaccin to be developped to loosen many restriction but a vaccin won't be available before the next 12 months ( so maybe until september 2021).

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yes, I already planned to start my program online for fall semester and try to come in winter semester starting in january 2021 but seeing the current situation caused by the covid19 I'm afraid that the borders will remains closed even on january 2021. I wonder if there is any hope to go there as I heard in the news that they are waiting for a vaccin to be developped to loosen many restriction but a vaccin won't be available before the next 12 months ( so maybe until september 2021).
Nobody here can of course predict anything but this should not stop you from applying for a permit using the online option. Seems unlikely they will continue to ban travel into the country for such a long time given the economy simply could not recover without air travel. It may well be mandatory isolation will still be required and maybe social distancing for some time. It is obviously impossible to predict any what ifs so can only go with what is known now which only has restrictions through June 30.

Also as sure you are aware the press like to create sensational headlines and speculation so should only refer to official sources such as IRCC. In fact not even rely on advice here without fact checking IRCC

Reactions: david2020

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Me I got an admission for my master degree starting in fall 2020 and I want to apply for visa but because of the situation related to covid 19 I understood that many of canadians centers where students permits application are processed are now closed until further notice. Moreoever canada have closed their borders since March. So I wonder how I will be able to travel do my master there ? Maybe in january 2021 it will be possible I hope.
what center are you talking about?
where in Canada are you going to study?
which country are you applying from?

Man2020

May 9, 2020
Please kindly educate me on this thanks
I'm international student and have received admission into two different institutions in Canada, one for PhD program and the other for masters program. I received scholarship for the PhD program but no scholarship for the masters program but the masters program is a professional program and would like to do the masters program than the PhD and later may decide to do PhD.
Please can I use the PhD documents to apply for student visa so that after arriving in Canada decide to switch to the other institution to do the master program? What are the implications?
The visa application for the masters program require huge financial documentation since there is no scholarship, my fear is that they may refuse me the visa base on inadequate funds to finance the program.
Please should I go ahead and use the documents for the masters program to apply and if they refuse my application, can I quickly follow it up with the PhD documents for that institution? What are the implications?
I sincerely like to do the masters program but it appears that the PhD documents will help me secure the Visa easily. I'm confuse please kindly help me. Thanks.

Sabrina88

Apr 27, 2020
Please kindly educate me on this thanks
I'm international student and have received admission into two different institutions in Canada, one for PhD program and the other for masters program. I received scholarship for the PhD program but no scholarship for the masters program but the masters program is a professional program and would like to do the masters program than the PhD and later may decide to do PhD.
Please can I use the PhD documents to apply for student visa so that after arriving in Canada decide to switch to the other institution to do the master program? What are the implications?
The visa application for the masters program require huge financial documentation since there is no scholarship, my fear is that they may refuse me the visa base on inadequate funds to finance the program.
Please should I go ahead and use the documents for the masters program to apply and if they refuse my application, can I quickly follow it up with the PhD documents for that institution? What are the implications?
I sincerely like to do the masters program but it appears that the PhD documents will help me secure the Visa easily. I'm confuse please kindly help me. Thanks.

Well, that's a little bit tricky. But in my opinion (according to what I think), it's better that you accept your Phd admission and use these documents to go to Canana and do your Phd program as you have a scholarship in there and it give you more chance to get the visa. And then while you would be there completing your Phd , you may try to do at the same time the master program if you can.

Sabrina88

Apr 27, 2020
what center are you talking about?
where in Canada are you going to study?
which country are you applying from?
I was talking about the centers where srudents permit applications are processed and treated ( for Canada ) There are many around the worlds.

Sabrina88

Apr 27, 2020
Wd
Nobody here can of course predict anything but this should not stop you from applying for a permit using the online option. Seems unlikely they will continue to ban travel into the country for such a long time given the economy simply could not recover without air travel. It may well be mandatory isolation will still be required and maybe social distancing for some time. It is obviously impossible to predict any what ifs so can only go with what is known now which only has restrictions through June 30.

Also as sure you are aware the press like to create sensational headlines and speculation so should only refer to official sources such as IRCC. In fact not even rely on advice here without fact checking IRCC
Well, thanks. Let's hope that everything will end up being altight.

Man2020

May 9, 2020
Well, that's a little bit tricky. But in my opinion (according to what I think), it's better that you accept your Phd admission and use these documents to go to Canana and do your Phd program as you have a scholarship in there and it give you more chance to get the visa. And then while you would be there completing your Phd , you may try to do at the same time the master program if you can.
Thanks and grateful. Please what about switching to the masters program after arriving in Canada?

Sabrina88

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks and grateful. Please what about switching to the masters program after arriving in Canada?

For this, I' m not sure. It's better to get good informations about the laws and regulations of the canadian provinces where you are planning to go. If you want to change the program upon your arrival, make sure that it is allowed there and that it won't cause you troubles in the future.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will likely have refuse and accept each program during the processing time. It would clearly look bad if during processing they followed up and discovered you had rejected the program. Yes you can switch programs if you get accepted. Getting admitted to a PhD takes a lot of commitment so it would be really awful for both the school and other students if you withdraw from a PhD program at the last minute. You will certainly close doors if you do that to a program and attend a masters course instead.

Man2020

May 9, 2020
I
You will likely have refuse and accept each program during the processing time. It would clearly look bad if during processing they followed up and discovered you had rejected the program. Yes you can switch programs if you get accepted. Getting admitted to a PhD takes a lot of commitment so it would be really awful for both the school and other students if you withdraw from a PhD program at the last minute. You will certainly close doors if you do that to a program and attend a masters course instead.
I see