+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit application with intent to be sponsored in the future.

djein

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
My wife is applying for a study permit. I am a canadian born citizen living in canada and she lives in the Philippines. She has been accepted into my local college. The big question I have is if we say in our letter of explanation since she is married to me our intentions are after her studies to apply for permanent residency through sponsorship will we be automatically denied the study permit? She has no real proof of ties in the philippines right now but has more than enough financial backing to prove up to 4 years of study in canada with tuition paid in full as well as living expenses. I realize they want students to go back to their country of origin but they will realize that she is married to me as we are fully disclosing this.

Should we state in our letter of explanation the intentions will be to apply for sponsorship after completion of studies? Will they deny the study permit and tell us just to go through sponsorship from the start?
One lawyer recommends we say to the government in the LoE that we intend to apply for a sponsorship in the future...another lawyer wants us to lie about being married (NONO!!). Another lawyer wants us to prove ties and stay in the grey area without being to open in regards to future plans.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would write a cover letter that she has enough financial proof and also Canadian husband (she might wanna send marriage cert. with app)
but more focus on her study, why she wanna study that field and future after graduate the school. she can briefly mention that she plan to apply for family sponsorship while she is going to school (up to you)

I agreed with you that do not lie about being married.

you (husband) might wanna write a letter like even though she is financial solid, you would support her while she is in school and looking forward to have your wife live with you in Canada etc.

hope it helps

HARSH131010190

Star Member
Aug 28, 2015
but you are married to her so why dont you apply for her work permit?
it will be easy option to bring her in canada with you...

djein

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
Her main goals right now are continued education so we are focusing on that. She has a bachelors in teaching but would like to expand it into student social working hence the bachelors degree in social working in Canada. We will be submitting the study permit within the next 48 hours if anyone wants to help critique the letter of explanation we have drafted send me a PM. We are so worried about the lack of ties in the Philippines and that we will get rejected solely because of our marriage. She is accepted into the college, 1 years tuition is paid in full, and she is being sponsored by a relative with proof of more than enough funds. It would be a travesty if we were declined due to our union.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. she cannot apply for work permit without job offer and company without LMIO.
2. not sure why you are worried about her tie in Philippine.
if you are not Canadian citizen and both of you are not landed immigrant then you should be worried about that.
but she is married to Canadian so your letter should focus on her study and future plan and briefly mention that apply for sponsorship.
Also solid financial support and your support too.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No.
Applying for study permit and sponsorship is different and deal with different Visa office.

what i do not understand is you are her husband so she should stay with you after study (either in Canada or Philippine)
you(husband) are her family now.

are you really married or common law partner?

if you are worried about the letter in the future for sponsorship, VO might have question about it sounds like she will come back after school without you…. (sounds like she only staying with you for her school)

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My best advice would be writing a good cover letter which contains her future plan after school and why she wanna study that field (especially she has university degree and not study master program: assume different study from her degree)
she might wanna say she wanna come back for her mom after (to take care of her etc)

wish you and your wife have a good luck.