+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit and Spousal Visa...

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
When someone is about to apply for Study Visa, do we complete also and send in the same envelope the spousal application for the open work permit??? or she has to apply after i settle in Canada???

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

evanstp9 said:
When someone is about to apply for Study Visa, do we complete also and send in the same envelope the spousal application for the open work permit?? or she has to apply after i settle in Canada???

1. No, you get only TRV for spouse, separate application but in the same envelope. OWP, apply in Canada.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
enfield said:
Hi,

1. No, you get only TRV for spouse, separate application but in the same envelope. OWP, apply in Canada.
Dear Enfield,
Could we apply for spousal OWP outside Canada, right after my study permit is approved?
Is it better/safer/faster the way you suggested???

peggiechua

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
enfield said:
Hi,

Hi. I just have a question. Isn't it the application should be open work permit for the spose? Though the spose will not be given an OWP in the country of the applicant and it will be given in the port of entry. The last time i read something about this, the student applied for TRV and the embassy sent him a letter asking if he has an intention to work in Canada and he replied by saying he will after 3 months in Canada. The embassy sent a letter asking him to fill up IMM (i forgot what it's called) but it's an application for OWP. I will look for the link of the forum here. I'm using my cellphone right now and will for the link using my laptop as soon as I get home.

peggiechua

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/anyone-applied-a-student-permit-from-philippines-t111111.15.html

This is the link where the spouse applied for TRV but was asked to submit Application Permit Made Made Outside Canada. His name is Showdog.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
evanstp9 said:
Dear Enfield,
Could we apply for spousal OWP outside Canada, right after my study permit is approved?
Is it better/safer/faster the way you suggested???
Could we have an answer on this one???
Seniors if you could please provide us with an experience or opinion on it... would be appreciated!!!

peggiechua

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
evanstp9 said:
Could we have an answer on this one???
Seniors if you could please provide us with an experience or opinion on it... would be appreciated!!!

You can do either. You can include your spouse in your application and apply for OWP. You do also have a choice of going first to Canada as a student and let your spouse follow you later.

Some says it's better to go first, but for others they took the risk and brought their family with them. Some were granted a visa and some were not fortunate to get a visa. Others say getting a longer course, like 3 years or master degree/PhD, will get you a higher chance to bring your family with you. IMHO NO ONE can predict what will happen in your spouse's application. It all depends on the VO who will handle your case. You might get a strict VO. If luck is in your side, you will get a lenient VO. It will also depends on the documents you will show. Apparently having strong ties in your own country will grant you or your spouse a visa. In cic website, it clearly states that a student or international student can bring his/her family with him/her. But again, everything will depend on the documents you will show. Sad to say, no matter how sincere we are, the Visa Officers in Canadian Embassies around the world have the last say.

kuldeep7

Nov 29, 2015
Could you please tell me what's processing time for Spouse Open work permit,
I applied inside Canada on 15 Dec 2015.
Thanks

eFaith

Oct 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OINP App - 23-01-2016
Nomination.....
25-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-12-2016
kuldeep7 said:
Could you please tell me what's processing time for Spouse Open work permit,
I applied inside Canada on 15 Dec 2015.
Thanks
Hi Kuldeep. I applied for SOWP on 27th Sept, 2015. It was approved on Jan 29th, 2016. I understand it took so long because there is usually congestion in Sept. In any case, it took me 125 frustrating days to get the SOWP...hopefully, yours will be earlier. Goodluck