+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Amendment

moomin

Sep 4, 2022
Hi there.
I recently got my study permit and it has missing condition which states I can work on and off campus during study period. Because of this I couldn't get SIN number and can't legally work in Canada. For the study permit amendment, can I go to airport and get it done in a day or it takes 1 month to get it?
Please help it's urgent

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
You can't go to the immigration counter at the airport, and ServiceCanada doesn't amend study permits.

According to this link (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html),

Changing the conditions on your study permit
You’ll need to apply for a new study permit from within Canada.

When you apply online, your personalized checklist will include the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]. On that form, check the box to Apply for a study permit for the first time or extend my study permit and fill out the rest of the required fields.

Include a letter with your application explaining why you need the condition removed from your study permit.

happyhumanbean

Jul 24, 2022
Hi there.
I recently got my study permit and it has missing condition which states I can work on and off campus during study period. Because of this I couldn't get SIN number and can't legally work in Canada. For the study permit amendment, can I go to airport and get it done in a day or it takes 1 month to get it?
Please help it's urgent
Do you know why that condition is missing? Isn't it meant to be included in all study permits?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You can't go to the immigration counter at the airport, and ServiceCanada doesn't amend study permits.

According to this link (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html),

Changing the conditions on your study permit
You’ll need to apply for a new study permit from within Canada.

When you apply online, your personalized checklist will include the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]. On that form, check the box to Apply for a study permit for the first time or extend my study permit and fill out the rest of the required fields.

Include a letter with your application explaining why you need the condition removed from your study permit.
Poster DOESNT need to apply new study permit but can request to ammend valid study permit. see below link with forms and process

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you know why that condition is missing? Isn't it meant to be included in all study permits?
Working In Canada is not guaranteed. It may not be included in original permit for several reasons: DLI, private/public, program, length of program etc.

OP, you need to amend your conditions. Expect it to take several months.

happyhumanbean

Jul 24, 2022
Working In Canada is not guaranteed. It may not be included in original permit for several reasons: DLI, private/public, program, length of program etc.

OP, you need to amend your conditions. Expect it to take several months.
Thanks, but are you sure about that? I've read through previous threads here and on Reddit. Apparently, it's something that happens quite often and something that can be easily resolved at the airport itself.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks, but are you sure about that? I've read through previous threads here and on Reddit. Apparently, it's something that happens quite often and something that can be easily resolved at the airport itself.
It happens quite often nowaday, provided your course is not ESL as bridge to main program, you should be able to work as prescribed under SP condition. You need to ammend your SP first.

Reactions: happyhumanbean

happyhumanbean

Jul 24, 2022
It happens quite often nowaday, provided your course is not ESL as bridge to main program, you should be able to work as prescribed under SP condition. You need to ammend your SP first.
I actually haven't got my SP yet. Just want to make sure that I don't end up in the same position as OP -- it's a scary place to be in. But it seems that we can resolve it at the airport itself, so I'll double check and sort it out then and there if it should happen to me.

vww

Aug 27, 2022
Hello,
I applied for my study permit but what happens when you get it late and the date of admission has changed?

Sep 8, 2022
I actually haven't got my SP yet. Just want to make sure that I don't end up in the same position as OP -- it's a scary place to be in. But it seems that we can resolve it at the airport itself, so I'll double check and sort it out then and there if it should happen to me.
Hello happyhumanbean,

Which Airport/Port of Entry are you talking about specifically? Is it the Toronto Pearson Airport?
Or can we show up at any Canadian Airport and they will amend our Study Permits without hassles?

happyhumanbean

Jul 24, 2022
Hello happyhumanbean,

Which Airport/Port of Entry are you talking about specifically? Is it the Toronto Pearson Airport?
Or can we show up at any Canadian Airport and they will amend our Study Permits without hassles?
Hi, I was referring to the Toronto Pearson Airport because that is where I will be getting my permit from, but I don't know if it applies to people who left the airport days or weeks ago.

Maybe try calling the airport you got your permit from to confirm if it's possible before going?