+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit amendment

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Hey everyone,
I landed on 7th of March. As soon as I left the airport I found out that the immigration officer did not print the paragraph stating that I "can accept employment on or off campus" on my study permit. I contacted IRCC and they said this was a mistake and I needed to return the document for amendment. I sent the study permit to Ottawa for amendment. After one and half months I received the new one. But it was too late and I missed university enrollment day and now I have to defer to September. There is a situation where my university might not accept the said deferral request.

1. As this was IRCC's mistake and not mine, how many days after 7th of March will I become out of status? Today is April 19th, how many days do I have left?

2. I might have to change my university to a college to avoid being out of status. Can I change my university undergraduate degree course to a one-year diploma college course? (the college has DLI)

3. What other strategies to you know for my situation so that I can prevent becoming out of status?

Reactions: Kishwor

maple007

Jan 18, 2019
Hey everyone,
I landed on 7th of March. As soon as I left the airport I found out that the immigration officer did not print the paragraph stating that I "can accept employment on or off campus" on my study permit. I contacted IRCC and they said this was a mistake and I needed to return the document for amendment. I sent the study permit to Ottawa for amendment. After one and half months I received the new one. But it was too late and I missed university enrollment day and now I have to defer to September. There is a situation where my university might not accept the said deferral request.

1. As this was IRCC's mistake and not mine, how many days after 7th of March will I become out of status? Today is April 19th, how many days do I have left?

2. I might have to change my university to a college to avoid being out of status. Can I change my university undergraduate degree course to a one-year diploma college course? (the college has DLI)

3. What other strategies to you know for my situation so that I can prevent becoming out of status?

Hi , can you tell me how did you send it for ammendment ?

Did you submit a new application for SP ?
Did you have to upload all documents again ?
Or you just mailed the old study permit ?

Please advise .

And what was the condition on your old Study Permit ?

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Hi , can you tell me how did you send it for ammendment ?

Did you submit a new application for SP ?
Did you have to upload all documents again ?
Or you just mailed the old study permit ?

Please advise .

And what was the condition on your old Study Permit ?
Hi
On CIC website everything is clear:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5218-request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

No, I did not need to submit again.
No, there is no need to upload again.
I mailed the defective SP and they sent me another one after 1.5 months.
The previous condition: There was no condition stating that I could accept employment on or off campus.
The new SP: IRCC added a paragraph clearly stating that I can now accept employment, secondly, they renewed my SP with a new issue date.

maple007

Jan 18, 2019
Hi
On CIC website everything is clear:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5218-request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

No, I did not need to submit again.
No, there is no need to upload again.
I mailed the defective SP and they sent me another one after 1.5 months.
The previous condition: There was no condition stating that I could accept employment on or off campus.
The new SP: IRCC added a paragraph clearly stating that I can now accept employment, secondly, they renewed my SP with a new issue date.

I had this on my study permit

This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada

Did you have the same thing ?

Because on the link you provided , it says

Note: If the following remark is printed on your study permit: This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada, and you have become eligible to work on or off campus without a work permit (e.g., you have transferred to an eligible program of study), you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.

Please let me know ,
Thanks .

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Same query ,

Did you have This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada
on your old permit ?

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019

This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada

Note: If the following remark is printed on your study permit: This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada, and you have become eligible to work on or off campus without a work permit (e.g., you have transferred to an eligible program of study), you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.

Please let me know ,
Thanks .
I my case, my SP had no conditions on it. That was why I immediately found out it was faulty.

Clearly, you have taken a program of study which does not allow you to work. Most ESL courses are like that.

If you think it is a mistake send a Web Form and ask for advice from IRCC then when you are sure apply for amendment.

If you are sure you have taken a program of study which does not allow you to work obviously you need to change your program of study.

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Same query ,

Did you have This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada
on your old permit ?
The answer is no. I had actually no condition mentioned on my SP. That tipped me off to figure out my SP was faulty. Then I contacted IRCC and found out about amendment process

maple007

Jan 18, 2019
I my case, my SP had no conditions on it. That was why I immediately found out it was faulty.

Clearly, you have taken a program of study which does not allow you to work. Most ESL courses are like that.

If you think it is a mistake send a Web Form and ask for advice from IRCC then when you are sure apply for amendment.

If you are sure you have taken a program of study which does not allow you to work obviously you need to change your program of study.

Hi , I did contact IRCC and they said since my program is eligible and I haven’t changed anything with regards to my course I should submit an application to amend the conditions .

I sent my application by mail yesterday .

How will I know about them receiving it or processing it ?
Any notifications?
How to track my application ?

Will I get any email or letter in my CIC Account?

Thanks

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Hi , I did contact IRCC and they said since my program is eligible and I haven’t changed anything with regards to my course I should submit an application to amend the conditions .

I sent my application by mail yesterday .

How will I know about them receiving it or processing it ?
Any notifications?
How to track my application ?

Will I get any email or letter in my CIC Account?

Thanks
1) 1.5 months
2) No
3) You cannot
4) Finally they send it to you via mail

prabhu gautam

Jul 4, 2019

Please let me know ,
Thanks .
how much is the fee for amendment

Chiya89

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Hi
I am inquiring this for a new student . On his study permit the CBSA officer put field of study which is COMPUTER/IT and the institution any designated learning institution.
Now this student wants to change the program. The new program is related to medical field and not the computer .
Can this student change the program and study on same study permit or does need to apply for new study permit . Since DLI is going to be same just the program changing .
Any info will be helpful
Thanks