+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Amendment - how long did it take to receive the document??

chuckluck

Oct 8, 2015
Hi all,

Long time follower first time posting.

I submitted my amendment for my study permit to have wording included that will allow me to obtain a SIN and work. I sent it on Aug 21st and they received it Aug 24th.

I phoned CIC and they said the application was approved on Sept 17th and they sent it out but I haven't received it and its been almost 3 weeks.

Can any of you guys who went through the same process provide some insight as to how long it took until you actually received the document?

I looked through similar threads and many people had similar problems where it took longer than anticipated.

Many thanks

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Obviously, I have no idea, because I am waiting more than 2 months except for the processing time to get the study permit amendment. (There is no mail for now.. which is waiting more than 3 months)

So, I am going to apply another study permit instead. CIC doesnt work properly, especially, the study permit amendment.

My suggestion is that keep calling to CIC and prepare the new study permit in case

Paquein

Oct 22, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-JUN-16
Doc's Request.
02-DEC-16
Nomination.....
20-MAY-16
AOR Received.
11-SEP-16
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-DEC-16
Med's Done....
23-DEC-16
Interview........
Not needed at this time
Passport Req..
23-FEB-17
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
INLAND
I'm in the same situation, do you have any update?

steakpie

Jul 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
dental15 said:
Obviously, I have no idea, because I am waiting more than 2 months except for the processing time to get the study permit amendment. (There is no mail for now.. which is waiting more than 3 months)

So, I am going to apply another study permit instead. CIC doesnt work properly, especially, the study permit amendment.

My suggestion is that keep calling to CIC and prepare the new study permit in case
Im sorry what is a study permit amendment?
Is it the approval email we get as soon as our visa is approved?

Thank you.

Julia.jenn4

Star Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hi I have an error in my study permit for place of birth . Did u get UR amended document?
Can I go directly to cic n give form or only by post . Do copies of documents need to be attested? Please inform me

aliciawonder

Nov 21, 2016
ME Too and I'm stuck here
i send my mail in August 23 by 2 day delivery. and still nothing happens
i was planning to apply a new study permit coz i got in a grad program.
BUT
i cannot do that my passport is expiring in between the grad school,
AND,
i cannot renew it in canada (because the embassy want study permit original)
i cannot travel because my TRV application want study permit original.
i cannot even go to cibc to get my driving licence because they want study permit original
i cannot even go home to meet my grandparent (grandpa just got his 3rd heart implant)
Thanks CIC, I'm taking sleeping pills every day to sleep, and anti-anxiety medication to complete school work.
sorry for the venting, and thank you for all my friend and roommate for food aid.

Paquein

Oct 22, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-JUN-16
Doc's Request.
02-DEC-16
Nomination.....
20-MAY-16
AOR Received.
11-SEP-16
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-DEC-16
Med's Done....
23-DEC-16
Interview........
Not needed at this time
Passport Req..
23-FEB-17
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
INLAND
Hi,

i sent my Study permit for amendment and after one and a half month called cic, and they told me I was already approved and they sent it. The total time I waited from the day I sent it by courier was around 2 and s half months for the new permit to arrive

kayacetinsu

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dental15 said:

I have the same situation now. i cannot extend my study permit as well, because my visa and my study permit will expire at the same time at the end of 2017. So, I need to get it amended. this process would cost me a long time. Actually I wanna ask if I get CIC to prepare my new study permit while my current study permit keep me stuck. anybody who has any idea or experience?

Paquein

Oct 22, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-JUN-16
Doc's Request.
02-DEC-16
Nomination.....
20-MAY-16
AOR Received.
11-SEP-16
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-DEC-16
Med's Done....
23-DEC-16
Interview........
Not needed at this time
Passport Req..
23-FEB-17
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
INLAND
kayacetinsu said:
I have the same situation now. i cannot extend my study permit as well, because my visa and my study permit will expire at the same time at the end of 2017. So, I need to get it amended. this process would cost me a long time. Actually I wanna ask if I get CIC to prepare my new study permit while my current study permit keep me stuck. anybody who has any idea or experience?
To be in the safe side, apply to ammend the study permit at least 3 months before it expires, mine took 2.5 months to get back from the day i sent it via mail.

kayacetinsu

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Paquein said:
To be in the safe side, apply to ammend the study permit at least 3 months before it expires, mine took 2.5 months to get back from the day i sent it via mail.
Thats why I asked. Could I reapply for new study permit instead of amending? It is like renewing it.

pliz89

Aug 26, 2017
Hello, I read your post. I have the same problems. I can't get my SIN number because "may work" doesn't appear on my study permit conditions (this box is empty). I have to do the amend (right?). Could you help me about that? Whic type of documents I need? Is it difficult to apply for that? I will get my amend?

dixit18

Jul 11, 2017
Hello, I read your post. I have the same problems. I can't get my SIN number because "may work" doesn't appear on my study permit conditions (this box is empty). I have to do the amend (right?). Could you help me about that? Whic type of documents I need? Is it difficult to apply for that? I will get my amend?
Hi I'm also in the same situation. Here is the instructions told by a CIC agent:

Conditions or remarks required on study permit to obtain SIN to work on or off campus

You can obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada if one of the following conditions or remarks is printed on your study permit (SP):

• May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
  • May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR.
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.
If none of these conditions/remarks appear on your SP, please apply for a Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents. We recommend reading the instruction guide first, it will assist you to fill out the form and it will give you the address where to mail it.

We also invite you to visit our website:

Hope it helps!

Reactions: pliz89

pliz89

Aug 26, 2017
Hi I'm also in the same situation. Here is the instructions told by a CIC agent:

Conditions or remarks required on study permit to obtain SIN to work on or off campus

You can obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada if one of the following conditions or remarks is printed on your study permit (SP):

• May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
  • May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR.
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.
If none of these conditions/remarks appear on your SP, please apply for a Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents. We recommend reading the instruction guide first, it will assist you to fill out the form and it will give you the address where to mail it.

We also invite you to visit our website:

Hope it helps!
Hello! I see. Are you working on that? I'm doing the procedure.. what do you think if we keep in touch?

pliz89

Aug 26, 2017
Why we don't get the state "may work" on our Study permit? Is it an error to the customers service when we got the study permit?