+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit after a very long gap! Seniors pls advise

Grv15

Oct 7, 2015
Hello friends,

I'd like to get your valuable suggestions, views, thoughts, inputs and your priceless knowledge which you've gained from personal experiences on the following points.
First of all, I'd like to give you a brief introduction about myself. My name is Gaurav and my profile is as follows:

1999 : 10th - 62%
2002 : 12th - 48% (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)
2005 : BSc. - 64% (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)

2005-07 : Job as an Office coordinator in a steel foundry
2007-09 : Diploma in 3d animation & computer graphics from MAAC (private institute, not recognised)
2009-11 : Job as a Video editor & designer in a regional production house
2011-12 : Job as a Graphic designer in a small IT company
2012-15 : Job as an IT Support Executive in a local establishment

I switched from being a designer to IT Support profile because I felt that I have keen interest in Computer Technologies rather than designing.
Now, I want to pursue Information Technology or Computer Network Engineering/Technology program in Canada and I've shortlisted some programs as below:

1. PG Diploma in Information Technology, College of New Caledonia, 2 years course
2. Information Technology Diploma at SAIT, 2 years but not a PG program
3. Network Engineering Technology at NAIT, 2 years but not a PG program
4. Network & System Security at George Brown College, 1 year PG Certificate

My questions are:

1. How relevant are these program to my profile?
2. What are my chances of getting a LOA & Study Permit, especially, at this age and with this kind of profile?
3. Can I opt for an under grad. diploma or should I go for a PG diploma only?
4. What are job & PR prospects in BC during & after graduation?

Actually, I've consulted with quiet a few consultants both official & unofficial and almost everyone have told me that you stand a slim to none chance to get a study permit with this kind of profile. So that's why I am asking you guys to clear my doubts on this issue.
I'll be highly honored to receive any sort of guidance and support from experienced members on this forum.

Thank you
Gaurav

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. you have work experience in IT field 2 for years so i see relevant of perspective study in Canada.

correct me if I am wrong.
it seems like your degree is not much related to your work (design and IT) and you changed your interest of study couple of time.
that might bring some concern to VO, so you would need to explain your purpose of study in Cover letter with your future plan in home country etc.

2. Age is not concerned. if you are qualified , you would get LOA.

3. I would apply for upper level of study.

4. don't know, hope other member would give you more insight.

Grv15

Oct 7, 2015
floomy said:
1. you have work experience in IT field 2 for years so i see relevant of perspective study in Canada.

correct me if I am wrong.
it seems like your degree is not much related to your work (design and IT) and you changed your interest of study couple of time.
that might bring some concern to VO, so you would need to explain your purpose of study in Cover letter with your future plan in home country etc.

2. Age is not concerned. if you are qualified , you would get LOA.

3. I would apply for upper level of study.

4. don't know, hope other member would give you more insight.
Yes you are right here, my Bachelor of science degree is not inline with my work exp., but Math is one of the prerequisite to get admission in these programs.
An agent told me that you should target to achieve ielts score of 7.5 or 7 atleast to stand a good chance of getting the visa. Will it help in eradicating VO's concerns?
So, should I apply for visa under SPP or general category? In which way I can explain my case in a better way to VO?

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even though you have good score on ILETS, still VO might question about your purpose of study.

as mentioned , you study in Canada is related to your work experience, so you might wanna focus on that on your cover letter.

not sure, what kind of general category you meant.

if you wanna study in Canada more than 6 months, you must have Study permit .

Grv15

Oct 7, 2015
People (consultants) here are telling me that you can get LOA fairly easily but you won't get study permit because Canadian VO's don't give study permits to people with long study gaps rather they like to issue SP to fresh pass outs.

By general I meant non-SPP study permit.

Grv15

Oct 7, 2015
I see lots of views on this thread (close to a century :eek:) but still just one person replied, Its sad people don't wanna share their knowledge here.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Grv15 said:
People (consultants) here are telling me that you can get LOA fairly easily but you won't get study permit because Canadian VO's don't give study permits to people with long study gaps rather they like to issue SP to fresh pass outs.

By general I meant non-SPP study permit.
you would get LOA if you are qualified by the school, but getting LOA does not guarantee study permit.

what I read from the forum, there are some common reason for rejection of study permit
:purpose of study, financial support and lack of family tie in home country.

you have long study gap and you can explain all gaps with proofs.
so you might wanna work on others.