+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit - 150 days gap

Aliahmad27

Jan 2, 2020
I had some queries about my NEW study permit which I received mid January. I completed my Business Administration Diploma on December 7, 2020 at Okanagan College, Kelowna, British Columbia. Mid 2020, I applied for admissions to the University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan and received an admission to start at either January 2021, May 2021, or September 2021 for Bachelor of Business Administration. Please note, I intend to start in September since I have applied for transfer credits from Okanagan College which are yet to be processed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html

I have certain queries under the points mentioned in the link provided above.

Under Point C. in the link above,

“A student should begin or resume their studies at their new institution within 150 days from the day that they ceased or completed their studies at the previous institution.”
My understanding was that the student can start on the date mentioned in their admission letter.
Under Point D. in the link above,
“For the purpose of assessing if a student is actively pursuing their studies, any leave taken from a program of studies in Canada should not exceed 150 days from the date the leave commenced and must be authorized by their DLI."
“A student on leave who begins or resumes their studies within 150 days from the date the leave commenced (that is, the date the leave was granted by the institution) is considered to be actively pursuing studies during their leave.”
My understanding is that since I haven't started any courses, I would be on a leave.

Additional Details: I applied for my study permit extension on Dec 8, 2020.

What can I do to avoid any issues? Please note that my offer letter from the University of Regina states that I can either start my program there either during the Winter 2021, Spring 2021 (May), or Fall 2021.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I had some queries about my NEW study permit which I received mid January. I completed my Business Administration Diploma on December 7, 2020 at Okanagan College, Kelowna, British Columbia. Mid 2020, I applied for admissions to the University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan and received an admission to start at either January 2021, May 2021, or September 2021 for Bachelor of Business Administration. Please note, I intend to start in September since I have applied for transfer credits from Okanagan College which are yet to be processed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html

I have certain queries under the points mentioned in the link provided above.

Under Point C. in the link above,

“A student should begin or resume their studies at their new institution within 150 days from the day that they ceased or completed their studies at the previous institution.”
My understanding was that the student can start on the date mentioned in their admission letter.
Under Point D. in the link above,
“For the purpose of assessing if a student is actively pursuing their studies, any leave taken from a program of studies in Canada should not exceed 150 days from the date the leave commenced and must be authorized by their DLI."
“A student on leave who begins or resumes their studies within 150 days from the date the leave commenced (that is, the date the leave was granted by the institution) is considered to be actively pursuing studies during their leave.”
My understanding is that since I haven't started any courses, I would be on a leave.

Additional Details: I applied for my study permit extension on Dec 8, 2020.

What can I do to avoid any issues? Please note that my offer letter from the University of Regina states that I can either start my program there either during the Winter 2021, Spring 2021 (May), or Fall 2021.

Your options are to enrol within 150 days.
If not, you need to change your status to a visitor and re-apply when it's closer to enrolment.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
The 150-day rule begins when you stop studying at your previous DLI. It is the student's responsibility to be in compliance with the conditions.