+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Perm Extension (Implied Status) to apply for Post Graduate Work Permit

anshulc305

Apr 28, 2017
I have finished my studies and it was 2 years duration of program...I have applied for study permit on 24 march before the expiry date of my study permit which was 31st march...I am still waiting for my extended study permit which is suppose to expire on 30 july... As I have completed my studies this month I am looking forward to apply for post graduate work permit...But, I can't apply for work permit without receiving my extended study permit.. I don't know what should I do at this situation.. Can i apply for work permit before the expiry date of my extended study permit which I haven't received?

sheikhsadik

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
anshulc305 said:
I have finished my studies and it was 2 years duration of program...I have applied for study permit on 24 march before the expiry date of my study permit which was 31st march...I am still waiting for my extended study permit which is suppose to expire on 30 july... As I have completed my studies this month I am looking forward to apply for post graduate work permit...But, I can't apply for work permit without receiving my extended study permit.. I don't know what should I do at this situation.. Can i apply for work permit before the expiry date of my extended study permit which I haven't received?
Hi
I am pretty much on the same boat. Applied 18th April with renewed passport (expired 25th April). I am expecting to get extension at least up to end of august, given that they count the graduation day (June 20 in my case) plus 90 days.
Would appreciate if you let me know when you get back your approved permit, would help in tracking the processing speed for my application as well.

WaseemWasii

Mar 20, 2013
Same here..

Study Permit Expired on 20th March
Studies Completed on 7th April
Applied for Extension of Study Permit 16th March

No Update on Application Yet :'(

After some research I found that if you are in such situation just don't renew study permit if you don't have enough time for it. When it expires and you complete studies. Go for Restoration of Status + Plus Work Permit, That Costs 255$ :)

sheikhsadik

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Pretty sure they have already started processing the March applications.
Saw a post last week where someone already received his/her extension on the 28th April (applied 27th Feb)
I hope the volume of applications in March and April aren't a lot, so that ours may be processed early.

anshulc305

Apr 28, 2017
Well, my extended study permiy is going to be expired on 30th july and still i haven't received it yet. My education advisor told me that you can apply for work permit by providing the letter of explaination about your situation. In this way, they can access to your last submitted study permit extension. On the basis of which they can make approval of your work permit. I am going to call the immigration centre in order to take suggestions for any final decision regarding applying work permit at this situation.

sheikhsadik

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
anshulc305 said:
Well, my extended study permiy is going to be expired on 30th july and still i haven't received it yet. My education advisor told me that you can apply for work permit by providing the letter of explaination about your situation. In this way, they can access to your last submitted study permit extension. On the basis of which they can make approval of your work permit. I am going to call the immigration centre in order to take suggestions for any final decision regarding applying work permit at this situation.
I think based on the current processing speed, you will receive the permit this month so you have ample time to apply for PGWP. Make sure to update your SIN the moment you get your study permit, in case you want to start working while waiting for the PGWP. PGWP normally is taking 40-46 days, so hopefully you will have it before July 31.

stu2018

Dec 13, 2018
Hi I am in the same situation as you mentioned above. I wanted to understand did you follow this route and was it successful? Thanks