+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Material - TCF/TEF

camila447

Sep 20, 2018
Hi all,

I'm currently level A2 on French, I've been studying on my own for a couple of months, and realized my points increase a lot if I achieve a B2 level on TEF or TCF (haven't taken the test yet), so I want to study even harder until the end of the year, and hopefully take the TEF or TCF Canada by Jan-Feb 2020 to achieve the B2 level. (unless I get an ITA before that :rolleyes:)

What are the suggestions for studying for the test? I already have an online course I paid for which covers B1 and B2, but I want to have more options, too. Podcasts, websites, etc.

Thank you!

vvik33

Star Member
Aug 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Hello, please state the name of online course.
I'm currently in A1 using duolingo and prepmyfuture. Thanks :)

titititi

Oct 12, 2019
Hi all,

I'm currently level A2 on French, I've been studying on my own for a couple of months, and realized my points increase a lot if I achieve a B2 level on TEF or TCF (haven't taken the test yet), so I want to study even harder until the end of the year, and hopefully take the TEF or TCF Canada by Jan-Feb 2020 to achieve the B2 level. (unless I get an ITA before that :rolleyes:)

What are the suggestions for studying for the test? I already have an online course I paid for which covers B1 and B2, but I want to have more options, too. Podcasts, websites, etc.

Thank you!
I think after reaching at least B1 it`s time to think about the exam. for now try to improve your general knowledge by listening podcasts such as InnerFrench which I found really helpful and RFI or TV5monde. Each day try to read yahoofr. to improve your comprehension ecrite as well.

Har12345678

Star Member
Nov 3, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I think after reaching at least B1 it`s time to think about the exam. for now try to improve your general knowledge by listening podcasts such as InnerFrench which I found really helpful and RFI or TV5monde. Each day try to read yahoofr. to improve your comprehension ecrite as well.
Please anybody assist me.....I need support....I have to learn french but I am working and don't have time to attend classes.Can anybody advise me whether I shall go for youtube videos or online tutor..Can I reach at B1 or B2 level by just having online training? If so also please recommend any useful sources online.

titititi

Oct 12, 2019
Please anybody assist me.....I need support....I have to learn french but I am working and don't have time to attend classes.Can anybody advise me whether I shall go for youtube videos or online tutor..Can I reach at B1 or B2 level by just having online training? If so also please recommend any useful sources online.
I had the same problem when I started learning french, it`s not like learning English and there are not many online training courses, try to find an online tutor, it could be as helpful as attending a class. self-study or using YouTube videos or something like that are not enough to reach high levels. you need to be trained by a teacher especially if you want to learn from scratch.

Har12345678

Star Member
Nov 3, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I had the same problem when I started learning french, it`s not like learning English and there are not many online training courses, try to find an online tutor, it could be as helpful as attending a class. self-study or using YouTube videos or something like that are not enough to reach high levels. you need to be trained by a teacher especially if you want to learn from scratch.
Thank you so much for replying.....so according to it will more beneficial to me if I would be attending live classes ....
Also plz tell me can one reach at b1 b2 l3vel after 3 months of training ?

titititi

Oct 12, 2019
Thank you so much for replying.....so according to it will more beneficial to me if I would be attending live classes ....
Also plz tell me can one reach at b1 b2 l3vel after 3 months of training ?
my point is that you need someone to work with and to be able to check your wok with, it could be a real or online class but online courses without the possibility to check your progress cannot be enough.
these two levels (b1 and b2) are really different and it is a long way from B1 to B2, even when you reach b2 it`s important to know which CLB you need, CLB6 or CLB7, both of them are B2 but each one brings you different points and as well needs different work to achieve. In addition to that, it`s important if you need it in all 4 skills or not, it all depends on the score you need. BTW it took me 9 months to achieve clb7(B2+) in four skills, although people have different learning abilities I believe it`s too optimistic to expect a clb7 in 4 skills in 3 months from scratch. it`s worth mentioning that I got a CLB9 in IELTS in 3-4 months in my first attempt but I studied English many years.

Reactions: Vinami and suga-san

ramneek9288

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
my point is that you need someone to work with and to be able to check your wok with, it could be a real or online class but online courses without the possibility to check your progress cannot be enough.
these two levels (b1 and b2) are really different and it is a long way from B1 to B2, even when you reach b2 it`s important to know which CLB you need, CLB6 or CLB7, both of them are B2 but each one brings you different points and as well needs different work to achieve. In addition to that, it`s important if you need it in all 4 skills or not, it all depends on the score you need. BTW it took me 9 months to achieve clb7(B2+) in four skills, although people have different learning abilities I believe it`s too optimistic to expect a clb7 in 4 skills in 3 months from scratch. it`s worth mentioning that I got a CLB9 in IELTS in 3-4 months in my first attempt but I studied English many years.
Did you took any online help from tutor or self study...plz guide about your resources

titititi

Oct 12, 2019
Did you took any online help from tutor or self study...plz guide about your resources
I started with self study which I found time-consuming so I tried an online tutor who planned the whole these 9 months for me. The first 6 months I studied french in general using different books among which I found CLE books very helpful. Then 3 months of intensive work for the exam, actually she had prepared some sample questions and tests for CO and CE skills which were very similar to the exam and helped me to achieve two C1 in these skills. For the two other skills we worked on exam topics and some techniques to manage them. That was really useful and I believe for such a short time it was the best way to go.

ramneek9288

Star Member
Nov 27, 2019
I started with self study which I found time-consuming so I tried an online tutor who planned the whole these 9 months for me. The first 6 months I studied french in general using different books among which I found CLE books very helpful. Then 3 months of intensive work for the exam, actually she had prepared some sample questions and tests for CO and CE skills which were very similar to the exam and helped me to achieve two C1 in these skills. For the two other skills we worked on exam topics and some techniques to manage them. That was really useful and I believe for such a short time it was the best way to go.
Thnks for reply....can you share details of your tutor and his/her fee structure....tia

yashiharu

Star Member
Jun 13, 2018
FYI
there're:
A1.1 A1.2
A2.1 A2.2
B1.1 B1.2 B1.3
B2.1 B2.2 B2.3

I think if you could master B2.2 at least, you have a chance to get ALL CLB7 in French test

Apoorva_1987

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-Sep-2019
IELTS Request
12-Nov-2019
Hi all, I am planning to learn French from scratch. I already have CLB 9 in English. I am a working woman with a 1.5 year old, so time is a critical factor. However I am willing to give in as much as I can to learn French.
Please suggest on below-
1. Most effective and useful books to refer - Please share names.
2. Online course or coaching classes? Please share reference to both so that I can speak with them
3. Time required per week to attain an CLB 7 - Will the weekend learning work?
4. Links for sample questions and mock test.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: suga-san

yashiharu

Star Member
Jun 13, 2018
Hi all, I am planning to learn French from scratch. I already have CLB 9 in English. I am a working woman with a 1.5 year old, so time is a critical factor. However I am willing to give in as much as I can to learn French.
Please suggest on below-
1. Most effective and useful books to refer - Please share names.
2. Online course or coaching classes? Please share reference to both so that I can speak with them
3. Time required per week to attain an CLB 7 - Will the weekend learning work?
4. Links for sample questions and mock test.

Thanks in advance.
1. depends on what style of material you like, some like grammar book, some like real-world usage.
2. starting from scratch - go for the cheap online group class, save time save money. (you should be able to google it)
3. Someone spend 40 hrs a week and got low C1 in a year. It could take you 2 years to reach a high B2 ...
4. too early to ask ...

The learning curve may look likes:
A: 200 hrs
B1: 250 hrs
B2: 300 hrs

Reactions: Apoorva_1987

Apoorva_1987

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
New Delhi, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-Sep-2019
IELTS Request
12-Nov-2019
1. depends on what style of material you like, some like grammar book, some like real-world usage.
2. starting from scratch - go for the cheap online group class, save time save money. (you should be able to google it)
3. Someone spend 40 hrs a week and got low C1 in a year. It could take you 2 years to reach a high B2 ...
4. too early to ask ...

The learning curve may look likes:
A: 200 hrs
B1: 250 hrs
B2: 300 hrs
Thanks. Noted.

zoexxy

Mar 5, 2020
Did you start from scratch to receive CLB7 in French for 9 months?