Study after PR in Canada

Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone plan to study after PR ?? I want to know if I can get admission in Masters based on indian bachelor degree in computer field.

prasenjit1986

Star Member
Jul 16, 2016
Hi,

You are confusing a PR status with admission into an MS program in a Canadian university. By virtue of being a PR, the only benefits you get are:
1. Reduced tuition fee - PR holders pay fee as locals, while non-PR/non-citizen pay international student fee. Big savings!
2. Ease of finding internship/job - PR holders don't need a company to sponsor their work permit, so finding jobs is much much easier.

Other than these above benefits, you don't get any other incentives.

For a foreign university graduate to study at a Canadian university, the basic requirements are GRE/GMAT score, IELTS score, essays/statement of purpose and letters of recommendation (in general).

Hope this solves your query.

Reactions: Syed Faizan Ali

Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

You are confusing a PR status with admission into an MS program in a Canadian university. By virtue of being a PR, the only benefits you get are:
1. Reduced tuition fee - PR holders pay fee as locals, while non-PR/non-citizen pay international student fee. Big savings!
2. Ease of finding internship/job - PR holders don't need a company to sponsor their work permit, so finding jobs is much much easier.

Other than these above benefits, you don't get any other incentives.

For a foreign university graduate to study at a Canadian university, the basic requirements are GRE/GMAT score, IELTS score, essays/statement of purpose and letters of recommendation (in general).

Hope this solves your query.
Thank you for your response, and I received PR already so I know what PR is.

Let me rephrase my question. I actually wanted to know how to get admission based on foreign degree. Do I have to re-evaluate the degree even though I have already done it once from WES for EE. What would be the IELTS score requirement?

prasenjit1986

Star Member
Jul 16, 2016
Hi,

Every university has a different IELTS requirement, so you'll have to read up on individual university websites. However, if you've already got a PR and your CRS score is pretty good - I'm assuming you have alteast 8+ IELTS, so you are well covered there.

Now, as for the WES evaluation - the WES evaluation done for PR clearly states for immigration purposes. So again, the best policy is to ask the university's admissions team directly. They'll be more than happy to answer your query and I think you might not need to get an evaluation done again, maybe just pay some fee to WES so that they send an official copy to the university.

medwiz

May 25, 2014
Just a quick note that any Canadian postgraduate program would definitely need Academic IELTS results...not the General Training IELTS used for immigration.. should aim for at least a 7 .

As for the bachelor degree I believe no actual equivalancy examis required... working in IT in Canada does not require a formal license..but the Canadian uni might need your degree to be sent directly from ur original university or at least have it in a sealed envelope similar to what WES require

As the previous poster mentioned GRE test could be required although not mandatory for all institutions...the statement on intent is important and also good references from previous professors

Deltocan

May 21, 2018
I am also planning to do study after landing in Canada. Now I got my PR, so do I have to give IELTS academic in order to get the admission in any college even after being a Permanent Resident?

regina.marian

Nov 19, 2018
What are your statuses as of now? Anyone applied and got into a study program after PR? I also want to study once I go there.. will we be able to apply as a domestic student if we have COPR but not yet landed there??