+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studies under Work Permit - Disclosure with Letter of Explanation?

sharonyys

Mar 10, 2017
Hi all,
I took a part-time CPA program (2 years) while I was working with a valid PGWP. The program never asked me to submit a study permit and the program itself does not provide PGWP upon graduation. Now I am close to completion of the program and I have one year of NOC B experience. Should I include the studies so that I can get extra points for multiple university-level studies or is it too risky?
Thanks ahead to anyone applies!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If the study program was at a college or university, and you were awarded a degree/diploma upon completion, then you should have had a study permit.

If the program was a professional development program or run by the certifying body (as I suspect it was), then it does not count as "education," since it is not offered by an accredited college/university.

sharonyys

Mar 10, 2017
:-X It is a professional development program but is also offered by a university under their continuing education department and I will be receiving a diploma in May upon passing all my finals...
The programs consists of a combination of night classes and distance (online) learning, so it is part-time in nature. Plus I received the offer without condition based on a valid study permit so I did not bother to apply for one. My bad I know...
[/quote]
If the study program was at a college or university, and you were awarded a degree/diploma upon completion, then you should have had a study permit.

If the program was a professional development program or run by the certifying body (as I suspect it was), then it does not count as "education," since it is not offered by an accredited college/university.
[/quote]

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/consider.asp

See the "Professional Training Programs" info at the bottom.

Then contact your institution - try to find out why they didn't require a study permit (it appears they should have), hopefully they have some useful explanation.

If not, I'm not sure what to advise.