+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student's spouse

Aikon

Jan 30, 2010
Hello!

My husband enrolled at university in Canada. What kind of visa I am (the wife) going to get?
I read that I can get an open work permit. Where and when and how I should apply for it? (outside Canada or inside?)
Couldn't find any info on cic.gc.ca
Plz help
Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are visa exempt, you can apply for your open work permit when you enter Canada. If not, you have to apply for a visa at the Canadian embassy where you live and it is possible that you could be denied if they think you are a risk of overstaying.

Prettyindian

Feb 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi

U can apply for TRV[ Visitor Visa] showing all ur husbands documents [study permit, proof of stay, funds etc.]
Once u come in to the country as visitor ,and need to wait for a month and then ur spouse can apply open work permit for u ,it will be valid until his study permit validity.

P

pniroula

Hi Aikon
I am an international student and my wife applied for TRV last year but was rejected with plenty of reasons. So I am dilemma that when and how should she apply again. First thing is that, you must get TRV to enter then comes about open work permit.
Thanks

Prettyindian

Feb 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

Email me
Im an International student and even my spouse's and dkid [2 year old] TRV was rejected for plenty of reasons saying that no ties up in back home, no travel history..etc...Second time he reapplied , he got visa and after coming here he got open work permit too, Even now my kid got Visa

If u need any details mail me payingguest01@gmail.com

P

pniroula

Prettyindian said:
Hello

Email me
Im an International student and even my spouse's and dkid [2 year old] TRV was rejected for plenty of reasons saying that no ties up in back home, no travel history..etc...Second time he reapplied , he got visa and after coming here he got open work permit too, Even now my kid got Visa

If u need any details mail me payingguest01 @ gmail.com
Hi Thanks for your reply. I have emailed you for more information.
Regards

gautam0597

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2011
Doc's Request.
All Docs except PCC sent along with Initial Application
AOR Received.
31-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with Initial Application
File Transfer...
04-04-2011
My Wife is planning on going to Toronto to pursue a 1 Year Post Graduate Diploma this September. Upon completion of her study, she wishes to work there as she will get a 1 Year work permit upon completion of the PG Diploma.
The intention is permanent residency in Canada.
I would also like to migrate to Canada along with her or slightly after.
Can I migrate based on the fact that my Spouse is an international student in Canada?

Firstly, I want to travel with her in September to Toronto. Should I apply for an Open Work Permit for MYSELF in India or Canada?
Also, should I apply for my TRV after she gets her student visa?
How long will my Open Work Permit be valid for? Only till the end of her course or through the 1 year work permit she would be getting after her diploma?

Any valuable feedback will be appreciated.

s.gupta1487

Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2013
LANDED..........
18 Jan 2014
Hi gautam,

I also in same confusion...have you got any info regarding that??

ananya

May 17, 2010
hi Gautam, Am also wondering the same. Should i and my husband apply for visa together or seperately? PMM - can u please advise.

May 1, 2011
Gautam,

Since your spouse is going as a student you can accompany her as dependant.
You can apply 2 ways.
1) Apply together - Student Visa appl + Temp Visa Appl
2) Get the Student Visa, then later you apply for Temp Visa

CHC strongly recommends Option 1.

Note: You cannot say to CHC that your intention is to work after studies or you are planning to migrate, your Visa will be rejected. Refer the embassy website will find more information on this.

Regards,
SumanthShruhti

Aleya

May 5, 2011
Mr. Gautam

I like to share some experience, I'm not expert. One of my relatives applied for visit visa to visit his wife(she got student visa). And unfortunately VO refused him, also mention that he will not return. He applied for 2 times. This thing happened with many people whose wife in Canada with student visa. So careful about that and consult with a experienced immigration lawyer. I am not discouraging you but possibility is too low. Another thing if spouse is female(when principal applicant is male) then possibility of getting a visa is high but reverse is little bit unusual.

Thank you and all the best.

kavya

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10//06/2010
Doc's Request.
30/10/2010
AOR Received.
15/01/2011
Hi friends,
I am new in this section. I applied a year ago for PR. Its very uncertain and time consuming to get PR soon. I want to apply for study permit. Can you guide me for the following questions:

a) Do we need to pay first year's fees in advance?
b) Is that ok If I show my husband or My father in law's bank statments as a proof of fund with my own bank statment
c) How long it generaly takes to get study permit from ND VO?
d) Do we need to show PCC from how long. I mean after 18 all where we traveled for more than 6 months?
e) How long it takes to get admission latter from university?

Many thanks to all of u

Kavya

May 1, 2011
Hi friends,
I am new in this section. I applied a year ago for PR. Its very uncertain and time consuming to get PR soon. I want to apply for study permit. Can you guide me for the following questions:

Strongly Recommended

b) Is that ok If I show my husband or My father in law's bank statments as a proof of fund with my own bank statment

i) If you have a joint account with your husband it is recommended, otherwise I suggest you to make it joint it is a 1 day process in Banks
ii) If you do not have joint account still you may show your husbands savings account statement and he has to sign a affidavit as a deponent stating that he will be supporting you and he has XXX amount in his bank account.
iii) For father in law same as point ii

I am not sure whats ND means ... Now India - Canada relation is renewed especially for Indian students it is easy, so with all the documents submitted 100% and medicals done too, you should get within 20 Days.

d) Do we need to show PCC from how long. I mean after 18 all where we traveled for more than 6 months?

PCC??

It takes 1 month to get your Acceptance letter from any university to India.

Many thanks to all of u

Kavya

kavya

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10//06/2010
Doc's Request.
30/10/2010
AOR Received.
15/01/2011
sumanthshruthi said:
Hi friends,

Strongly Recommended

i) If you have a joint account with your husband it is recommended, otherwise I suggest you to make it joint it is a 1 day process in Banks
ii) If you do not have joint account still you may show your husbands savings account statement and he has to sign a affidavit as a deponent stating that he will be supporting you and he has XXX amount in his bank account.
iii) For father in law same as point ii

I am not sure whats ND means ... Now India - Canada relation is renewed especially for Indian students it is easy, so with all the documents submitted 100% and medicals done too, you should get within 20 Days.

PCC??

It takes 1 month to get your Acceptance letter from any university to India.

Many thanks to all of u

Kavya
Thank you very much indeed. PCC- is police clearance certificate.

May 1, 2011
kavya said:
Thank you very much indeed. PCC- is police clearance certificate.
For Student Visa they will not ask for Police Clearance certificate, only if they suspect they might ask .. But it's very rare or never :)

Good Luck