+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Students becoming Immigrants while studying, under new law?

Sadruddin

Jul 21, 2008
Experts:
I would like to confirm my understanding: If I have three years experience in my own country and now going to canada for my PhD ( and I have points over 80 already) , can I just apply for immigration under Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration class immediately after completion of FIRST year of Ph.D based on my previuous work experience (not in Canada)? I read the same in website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp
That means in that case I can be immigrant even when I am studying, my study visa will be converted to PR?

The rule is more strict in Canadian Experience class, where graduates have to have one year work exp in CANADA follwoing their two years of education there.

Is there any success case under the Category 3 of Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration class ?

Kind thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right, you can after 1 year in Canada apply as a skilled worker under category 3 based on previous work experience and education. If you qualify, you will get PR.

They do not just change your study visa to PR. They will give you a PR visa and you will be able to go to the border and "land" as a PR there or you can call CIC about making an appointment to land in the local CIC office.