+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa was rejected ! How can I improve my application?

Abhishake1

Jun 18, 2020
Hello,

I applied for Student visa, but it got rejected and they mentioned following reasons:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

I am from India, and I currently resides in Taiwan. I got my admission at Queen's University with full scholarship package.
In my last application, I already provide them with SOP, CV, Scholarship document, Admission letter, Travel history, my current work permit, my resident card, IELTS(7.5), Degrees/marksheets, my publications and proof that my family resides in India and their job certificate.
I couldn't understand why they still mention any of their above mentioned reasons and what can I do to satisfy them?

elyasjohn

Jun 8, 2020
It is because you already a overseas indian worker. I give an officer a stronge hint that you will not return back home after your studies.

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Your refusal letter talks of 3 things..

1. The Officer is not convinced that you will return back to India...been working in Taiwan and the immigration status, so less established facts to prove will return back after the purpose.
2. The Officer is not convinced that your purpose of visit is study..maybe check if you have enough supportings to prove that your study is related to what you have been doing, or adding value to your existing credentials and career....convincing for an officer, or did you chose something with intend to migrate and not related study..?
3. The Officer is not convinced that you have enough financial resources to meet your needs of your period of study. Scholarships are conditional, and hence need not be considered as basis for the visa approval. They need solid financial capacity proof establishing that one can meet the expenses of study and living for the full period of the stay.

IRPR 216 (1) refers to Study Permit and Issuance.
"Subject to subsections (2) and (3), an officer shall issue a study permit to a foreign national if, following an examination, it is established that the foreign national
(a) applied for it in accordance with this Part;
(b) will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay under Division 2 of Part 9;
(c) meets the requirements of this Part;
(d) meets the requirements of subsections 30(2) and (3), if they must submit to a medical examination under paragraph 16(2)(b) of the Act; and
(e) has been accepted to undertake a program of study at a designated learning institution."

Subsectdions IRPR 216 (2) & (3) are not applicable in your case, and you can ignore that part. (IRPR 216 (2) for refugees and other protected persons, and IRPR 216 (3) is for Study in Quebec .

Most rejections are because of (b) OR (c)

...And this includes Financial Resources. Under this "part" includes IRPR 220
"An officer shall not issue a study permit to a foreign national, other than one described in paragraph 215(1)(d) or (e), unless they have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to
(a) pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that they intend to pursue;
(b) maintain themself and any family members who are accompanying them during their proposed period of study; and
(c) pay the costs of transporting themself and the family members referred to in paragraph (b) to and from Canada "

You need to show you have sufficient liquid funds in your bank accounts and if married covering your family for the needs during the study period.

and I assume there is no medical inadmissibility 216(1)(d) situation OR any 215(1)(d) OR (d) scenarios for you....I also assume your specific program that you got enrolled and possess acceptance letter IRPR 216(1) (e) is an approved program DLI [IRPR 219(1)].

If you have been given time to respond (procedural fairness letter) to the letter, please provide those additional information and explanation, so they may reconsider based on the new information. Keep us updated of the outcome!

I am not a legal expert...so treat this as another view point.

Abhishake1

Jun 18, 2020
Your refusal letter talks of 3 things..

1. The Officer is not convinced that you will return back to India...been working in Taiwan and the immigration status, so less established facts to prove will return back after the purpose.
2. The Officer is not convinced that your purpose of visit is study..maybe check if you have enough supportings to prove that your study is related to what you have been doing, or adding value to your existing credentials and career....convincing for an officer, or did you chose something with intend to migrate and not related study..?
3. The Officer is not convinced that you have enough financial resources to meet your needs of your period of study. Scholarships are conditional, and hence need not be considered as basis for the visa approval. They need solid financial capacity proof establishing that one can meet the expenses of study and living for the full period of the stay.

IRPR 216 (1) refers to Study Permit and Issuance.
"Subject to subsections (2) and (3), an officer shall issue a study permit to a foreign national if, following an examination, it is established that the foreign national
(a) applied for it in accordance with this Part;
(b) will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay under Division 2 of Part 9;
(c) meets the requirements of this Part;
(d) meets the requirements of subsections 30(2) and (3), if they must submit to a medical examination under paragraph 16(2)(b) of the Act; and
(e) has been accepted to undertake a program of study at a designated learning institution."

Subsectdions IRPR 216 (2) & (3) are not applicable in your case, and you can ignore that part. (IRPR 216 (2) for refugees and other protected persons, and IRPR 216 (3) is for Study in Quebec .

Most rejections are because of (b) OR (c)

...And this includes Financial Resources. Under this "part" includes IRPR 220
"An officer shall not issue a study permit to a foreign national, other than one described in paragraph 215(1)(d) or (e), unless they have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to
(a) pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that they intend to pursue;
(b) maintain themself and any family members who are accompanying them during their proposed period of study; and
(c) pay the costs of transporting themself and the family members referred to in paragraph (b) to and from Canada "

You need to show you have sufficient liquid funds in your bank accounts and if married covering your family for the needs during the study period.

and I assume there is no medical inadmissibility 216(1)(d) situation OR any 215(1)(d) OR (d) scenarios for you....I also assume your specific program that you got enrolled and possess acceptance letter IRPR 216(1) (e) is an approved program DLI [IRPR 219(1)].

If you have been given time to respond (procedural fairness letter) to the letter, please provide those additional information and explanation, so they may reconsider based on the new information. Keep us updated of the outcome!

I am not a legal expert...so treat this as another view point.
My medical report is clear and its Queen's University, Kingston(they have DLI).
If I am able to show proof of 15000CAD in my account and gold/silver worth 15000 with my mom, will that help in terms of finances. I can provide my Income tax return too.
I am single and no one will accompany me.
May I know what can I provide, which can help me to prove that I have no intention to overstay in Canada and I will return to India!

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
My medical report is clear and its Queen's University, Kingston(they have DLI).
If I am able to show proof of 15000CAD in my account and gold/silver worth 15000 with my mom, will that help in terms of finances. I can provide my Income tax return too.
I am single and no one will accompany me.
May I know what can I provide, which can help me to prove that I have no intention to overstay in Canada and I will return to India!
If we provide all the proof at the first instance, that is the best case scenario. Now that it is already refused, it is an uphill task as every piece of it need to verifiable. But if you think that you will be able to provide them that verifiable proof, that maybe worth the try.
1. For the first reason regarding your immigration status, you need to prove that your family and all close relatives are in India, and you travel every quarter or half year, for every family function or celebration to India. The verifiable proofs can be your travel documents / boarding passes etc. If you can show that your current work is also on a temporary basis in Taiwan, that will help. (Finally, at this time if you say you will return back to Taiwan after your study, and not India..that will be adding to the doubts for any officer.)
2. You need to establish that what you have chosen to study, is closely related to what you have been working with/ particularly being Ph.D, you need solid proof to establish that it is related and so the intent is genuine to convince "administratively" assessing Visa officer. I would suggest strong letter of recommendation on your academic skills and research work by reputed professors from your college and mentors..... and detailed of published articles / documents related to the area of study will help.
3. Bank drafts, Fixed deposits, Cash balances in bank will all help...it should be in your name preferably to convince the officer. Paying your university fees upfront for the first quarter and that receipt also needs to be attached to establish that you can pay for your study period. The study period if 5 years, you should show that you have resources enough to meet that period of stay...it is a completely different matter that you may get scholarship, or even part time work once you start your program.

All the best!

Abhishake1

Jun 18, 2020
If we provide all the proof at the first instance, that is the best case scenario. Now that it is already refused, it is an uphill task as every piece of it need to verifiable. But if you think that you will be able to provide them that verifiable proof, that maybe worth the try.
1. For the first reason regarding your immigration status, you need to prove that your family and all close relatives are in India, and you travel every quarter or half year, for every family function or celebration to India. The verifiable proofs can be your travel documents / boarding passes etc. If you can show that your current work is also on a temporary basis in Taiwan, that will help. (Finally, at this time if you say you will return back to Taiwan after your study, and not India..that will be adding to the doubts for any officer.)
2. You need to establish that what you have chosen to study, is closely related to what you have been working with/ particularly being Ph.D, you need solid proof to establish that it is related and so the intent is genuine to convince "administratively" assessing Visa officer. I would suggest strong letter of recommendation on your academic skills and research work by reputed professors from your college and mentors..... and detailed of published articles / documents related to the area of study will help.
3. Bank drafts, Fixed deposits, Cash balances in bank will all help...it should be in your name preferably to convince the officer. Paying your university fees upfront for the first quarter and that receipt also needs to be attached to establish that you can pay for your study period. The study period if 5 years, you should show that you have resources enough to meet that period of stay...it is a completely different matter that you may get scholarship, or even part time work once you start your program.

All the best!
Thankyou so much!
It is very helpful. I will start collecting documents.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello,

I applied for Student visa, but it got rejected and they mentioned following reasons:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your immigration status.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

I am from India, and I currently resides in Taiwan. I got my admission at Queen's University with full scholarship package.
In my last application, I already provide them with SOP, CV, Scholarship document, Admission letter, Travel history, my current work permit, my resident card, IELTS(7.5), Degrees/marksheets, my publications and proof that my family resides in India and their job certificate.
I couldn't understand why they still mention any of their above mentioned reasons and what can I do to satisfy them?
The visa officer is not convinced that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay.