+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa To Permanent Visa

dope46

Apr 18, 2020
Hey Everyone,

I am writing because I will need an extra information from you guys. I am a Swedish citizen and will be moving to study in Toronto this year as an international student(2 years study permit),
the main reason am moving to Canada is because my girl friend is a Canadian,
and thought it will be easier to move to Canada as a student.
Basically I read online if we can show that we being living together then she can sponsor me for a permanent permit. Please can someone on the forum enlighten me if its possible to change from student permit to permanent permit after one year living together.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sure why not although you will need to live together as common law for minimum one year, preferably a couple months over before applying through spouse sponsorship which could take upto a year after that to get approved. Although generally less than that if straight forward application but with the current emergency who knows what long term impacts there may be to immigration for next couple years.

Generally recommended to apply as an outland applicant given the flexibility to make occasional short trips outside of the country. Given you are likely to be studying throughout the process doesnt seem applying as an inland applicant would be of any benefit with a work permit that you could not use anyway unless you abandoned your studies. Inland applications can be restrictive as far as travel outside of Canada is concerned

For common law read plenty of posts here on what proof you will need such as shared lease, shared bills, photos etc... Basically anything that shows in all but reality as common law you are like a married couple

Obvious point your study permit application is to actually study not to gain PR even though that is the plan. Has to be said as some people do say that in their applications and could go either way with approval

Last edited:

dope46

Apr 18, 2020
Sure why not although you will need to live together as common law for minimum one year, preferably a couple months over before applying through spouse sponsorship which could take upto a year after that to get approved. Although generally less than that if straight forward application but with the current emergency who knows what long term impacts there may be to immigration for next couple years.

Generally recommended to apply as an outland applicant given the flexibility to make occasional short trips outside of the country. Given you are likely to be studying throughout the process doesnt seem applying as an inland applicant would be of any benefit with a work permit that you could not use anyway unless you abandoned your studies. Inland applications can be restrictive as far as travel outside of Canada is concerned

For common law read plenty of posts here on what proof you will need such as shared lease, shared bills, photos etc... Basically anything that shows in all but reality as common law you are like a married couple

Obvious point your study permit application is to actually study not to gain PR even though that is the plan. Has to be said as some people do say that in their applications and could go either way with approval

Hey thanks for your reply, we are on the process of getting a home together and I think we I will be applying while in Canada (Inland). I don't think I will be able to stand the long flight back to Sweden after one year living together with my partner.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey Everyone,

I am writing because I will need an extra information from you guys. I am a Swedish citizen and will be moving to study in Toronto this year as an international student(2 years study permit),
the main reason am moving to Canada is because my girl friend is a Canadian,
and thought it will be easier to move to Canada as a student.
Basically I read online if we can show that we being living together then she can sponsor me for a permanent permit. Please can someone on the forum enlighten me if its possible to change from student permit to permanent permit after one year living together.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Hey thanks for your reply, we are on the process of getting a home together and I think we I will be applying while in Canada (Inland). I don't think I will be able to stand the long flight back to Sweden after one year living together with my partner.
You can apply outland while in Canada and it really would be the better option in your situation.

dope46

Apr 18, 2020
But that will require me to travel back and forth, what if i apply inland will i be denied since am already in the country. One other thing, how long does it take for a decision to be made.

@Bs65
@canuck_in_uk

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But that will require me to travel back and forth, what if i apply inland will i be denied since am already in the country. One other thing, how long does it take for a decision to be made.

@Bs65
@canuck_in_uk
Not sure why you think that you would be required to travel back and forth. You can remain in Canada for the entire outland process.

Posted processing times for both inland and outland are 1 year. Outland does tend to be faster.