+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

student VISA refused - need advice pretty please.

Oct 11, 2018
Hello,

I have been studying at Concordia in Montréal as an international (Australian) student and precisely one day after university cutoff date for fees due I received notice my student visa was refused on grounds of applying within Canada.

I was originally given the impression Australians could apply from within Canada, as I was here with my Canadian girlfriend and it was indicated to me that my application would be processed via the Sydney office. Here is a timeline of events:

22 Feb - Day 1 visitor in Canada
20 Apr - Concordia Acceptance
12 July - Application for CAQ received by office
14 Aug - CAQ granted
15 Aug - Application finalised and sent for student visa
4 Sep - Day 1 at Concordia
7 Sep - Received read receipt from Immigration - advised they do not require biometrics, medical testing or further information.
17 Sep - Cutoff date for courses at Uni.
26 Sep - Paid university fees in full.
30 Sep - Final date due for uni fees payment.
1 Oct - Rejected by Immigration.

I have been advised I have 90 days to apply for an extension of my tourist visa.

I am hoping I will be able to have a $ credit applied to be used for deferment to next semester.

So.... How long do I need to leave Canada now to reapply? Where do I need to go? If I need to be outside of the country at the time of my application, does that mean only for the duration of the application or may I come back in the country for the duration of the process? Must I be in my country of origin or may I stay in the US to submit my application?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have been studying at Concordia in Montréal as an international (Australian) student and precisely one day after university cutoff date for fees due I received notice my student visa was refused on grounds of applying within Canada.

I was originally given the impression Australians could apply from within Canada, as I was here with my Canadian girlfriend and it was indicated to me that my application would be processed via the Sydney office. Here is a timeline of events:

22 Feb - Day 1 visitor in Canada
20 Apr - Concordia Acceptance
12 July - Application for CAQ received by office
14 Aug - CAQ granted
15 Aug - Application finalised and sent for student visa
4 Sep - Day 1 at Concordia
7 Sep - Received read receipt from Immigration - advised they do not require biometrics, medical testing or further information.
17 Sep - Cutoff date for courses at Uni.
26 Sep - Paid university fees in full.
30 Sep - Final date due for uni fees payment.
1 Oct - Rejected by Immigration.

I have been advised I have 90 days to apply for an extension of my tourist visa.

I am hoping I will be able to have a $ credit applied to be used for deferment to next semester.

So.... How long do I need to leave Canada now to reapply? Where do I need to go? If I need to be outside of the country at the time of my application, does that mean only for the duration of the application or may I come back in the country for the duration of the process? Must I be in my country of origin or may I stay in the US to submit my application?

Thanks!
Your application needed to be sent to a visa office outside of Canada. Unfortunately the fact you are Australian and have a Canadian girlfriend is irrelevant.

Did you start studying before you had an approved study permit? If you did - that means you violated the terms of your stay in Canada and studied illegally (you can't start studying until you actually have an approved study permit). This complicates your situation and means it may be more difficult to restore your status / obtain a study permit.

Yes - you have 90 days from the time of refusal to apply to restore your status. Processing of the restoration application can take anywhere from a few days to several months. So not possible to say if your status will be restored in time for the start of the next semester.

If you are going to leave Canada rather than applying for restoration, you should leave within 30 days of receiving the refusal.

Last edited: