+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa refused - Financial reasons (error?)

darrendm

May 29, 2014
Hi.

Rejected for the following points:

Pursuant to Section 219 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, I am not satisfied that you:
have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue have sufficient and available financial resources, without working

You are a member of an inadmissible class of persons described in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. As a result, you are inadmissible to Canada pursuant to the following Section(s):
For financial reasons:
A39: You are or will be unable or unwilling to support yourself or any other person who is dependent on you, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other that those that involve social assistance, have been made.

I provided a bank statement showing in excess of £10,000, along with UK Student Finance documents showing I would receive £8000+ in student loans and grants during the year.

Why was I rejected?

I am a student at the University of Leeds studying Civil Engineering (currently in 2nd year), I have been accepted by McMaster University to spend my 3rd year studying in Canada.

"IMM1294E:

The cost of my studies will be:

Tutition: $0
Room and board: $10,000
Other: $3,000
Funds available for my stay: $33,000
My expenses in Canada will be paid by: Myself"

I put $0 for the "Tuition fee" part of the visa application form as Exchange students do pay our HOME institutions the £1350 tuition fee, NOT the abroad university.

darrendm

May 29, 2014
Regina said:
Did you get proof from your school in UK that they will pay you grant? Did you get a loan approval? Did you attach all that to your SOP? Did you write a SOP?
I believe it may have been because the funds I showed were in an ISA (Individual Savings Account) account and it did not say anywhere on the uploaded documentation that this account is 'instant access' (allowing me to withdraw money at any time) - many other ISA accounts in the UK having higher interest rates but "lock up" funds for 2-3 years.

Yes my loan is fully approved with payment dates stated.

I did not have a SOP, my application just requires:

IMM1294
Student Exchange Letter
Proof of Means of Financial Support
Digital Photo
Letter of Acceptance

All of which I submitted appropriately.

Is it likely for the rejection be due to my £10,000+ cash funds are stored in an ISA which they did not realise is accessible to me at any time (not locked)?