+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa refused because of family ties in Canada and country of residence and immig status

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Hi everyone. I applied for a study permit for Canada but unfortunately got refused last week. I am really sad as I worked on my application for about a year and I just don't know if I should reapply. I don't know what went wrong. Can anyone please help me?

My refusal grounds were:
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on the purpose of your visit
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your immigration status

I am an Indian citizen but I was born and raised in the Philippines. My family and I are all permanent residents of the Philippines. I have never lived in India. I provided copies of my PR card (as well as my parents and my sister's) so I'm not sure what I did wrong. We don't have any relatives in Canada.

For my reasons for returning to the Philippines, I said that my parents are both senior citizens and seeing as my sister is already married (and lives in the US), it will be my responsibility to take care of them. I provided a ton of pictures of my family and friends. I also said I plan to start an NGO upon my return so I submitted a 2-page NGO plan, a letter of support from my friend who is a licensed teacher here (saying that she plans to build the NGO with me) and my dad's bank certificate and a letter of support from him (saying that he plans to donate funds to help establish my NGO). I also said that I fully embrace the culture here and even teach Filipino to non-native speakers.

I don't have anything else to show as my home ties. As I am not a citizen here, I cannot buy properties. I am also only 25. My parents do have a house in India but I don't even know if that's something I should mention as I kept reiterating that we consider the Philippines as our home as we have lived here for decades. I am just completely at a loss. What should I do? Is it even worth trying again? Moving to Canada has been my dream since I was 16 and my heart is just completely shattered :(

• Sad
Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Order GCMS notes because purpose of visit can mean anything - funds, program not relevant, ties to country of citizenship, no travel history etc. Your biggest issue is you are an Indian citizen with no ties to the country. VOs are concerned that you want to immigrate to Canada rather than return. What program did you apply to, and what type of NGO. What is your full profile - education, work experience, funds, program applied.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone. I applied for a study permit for Canada but unfortunately got refused last week. I am really sad as I worked on my application for about a year and I just don't know if I should reapply. I don't know what went wrong. Can anyone please help me?

My refusal grounds were:
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on the purpose of your visit
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your immigration status

I am an Indian citizen but I was born and raised in the Philippines. My family and I are all permanent residents of the Philippines. I have never lived in India. I provided copies of my PR card (as well as my parents and my sister's) so I'm not sure what I did wrong. We don't have any relatives in Canada.

For my reasons for returning to the Philippines, I said that my parents are both senior citizens and seeing as my sister is already married (and lives in the US), it will be my responsibility to take care of them. I provided a ton of pictures of my family and friends. I also said I plan to start an NGO upon my return so I submitted a 2-page NGO plan, a letter of support from my friend who is a licensed teacher here (saying that she plans to build the NGO with me) and my dad's bank certificate and a letter of support from him (saying that he plans to donate funds to help establish my NGO). I also said that I fully embrace the culture here and even teach Filipino to non-native speakers.

I don't have anything else to show as my home ties. As I am not a citizen here, I cannot buy properties. I am also only 25. My parents do have a house in India but I don't even know if that's something I should mention as I kept reiterating that we consider the Philippines as our home as we have lived here for decades. I am just completely at a loss. What should I do? Is it even worth trying again? Moving to Canada has been my dream since I was 16 and my heart is just completely shattered :(
What is your educational background and what level of studies did you apply in Canada

Reactions: Naturgrl

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Order GCMS notes because purpose of visit can mean anything - funds, program not relevant, ties to country of citizenship, no travel history etc. Your biggest issue is you are an Indian citizen with no ties to the country. VOs are concerned that you want to immigrate to Canada rather than return. What program did you apply to, and what type of NGO. What is your full profile - education, work experience, funds, program applied.
I already ordered GCMS notes but they will arrive in December. Do you think it's worth reapplying without it? I was going for Winter 2022 intake but the next available is in September 2022. I really don't want to wait another year :( I applied for a 2-year diploma in Early Childhood Education. I am currently an online teacher and have extensive volunteer experience with children. My Study Plan was 6 and a half pages long and 2 of the pages were used to defend my program and school of choice. I explained how each class would help me with my NGO (it will focus on providing education to children).

As for my background, I have a bachelor's degree in diplomatic relations (basically international relations). Afterwards, I worked for an NGO and then became a teacher. I think I have sufficient funds (around $79k CAD).

Where did I mess up? :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I already ordered GCMS notes but they will arrive in December. Do you think it's worth reapplying without it? I was going for Winter 2022 intake but the next available is in September 2022. I really don't want to wait another year :( I applied for a 2-year diploma in Early Childhood Education. I am currently an online teacher and have extensive volunteer experience with children. My Study Plan was 6 and a half pages long and 2 of the pages were used to defend my program and school of choice. I explained how each class would help me with my NGO (it will focus on providing education to children).

As for my background, I have a bachelor's degree in diplomatic relations (basically international relations). Afterwards, I worked for an NGO and then became a teacher. I think I have sufficient funds (around $79k CAD).

Where did I mess up? :(
That may be another issue. You have a degree in IR and applying for a diploma program (ECE) that only requires high school education. Why do you need to come to Canada to take an ECE course. Doesn’t the Philippines have ECE programs. Study plan is way too long…keep it to 2 pages. You shouldn’t have to “defend” anything.

You can apply again but what are you changing to address the issues especially when you don’t know the reasons behind purpose of visit. Purpose of visit may mean that VO doesn’t think you are a genuine student with degree now taking a diploma. Plus processing is 14 or so weeks so you will not get a decision by January.

Reactions: YVR123 and Simba112

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
That may be another issue. You have a degree in IR and applying for a diploma program (ECE) that only requires high school education. Why do you need to come to Canada to take an ECE course. Doesn’t the Philippines have ECE programs. Study plan is way too long…keep it to 2 pages. You shouldn’t have to “defend” anything.

You can apply again but what are you changing to address the issues especially when you don’t know the reasons behind purpose of visit. Purpose of visit may mean that VO doesn’t think you are a genuine student with degree now taking a diploma. Plus processing is 14 or so weeks so you will not get a decision by January.
Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I mentioned that the education system in Canada differs vastly from the one we have in the Philippines. It is more progressive and hands-on, which is why I want to learn how to be an effective educator by studying ECE in Canada. Almost everyone from the Philippines chooses a 2-year diploma over a postgraduate diploma or a master's degree because it's cheaper and it's already 2 years so it helps with the whole PGWP thing down the line. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue here by choosing a diploma despite already having a degree (I think the visa officers here in the Philippines are so used to seeing this so they don't even question it, but then again, I am just assuming here so you're right that there is definitely a possibility that I got refused because of that). :( I just don't know what to do. ECE definitely is my main interest. I spent months deciding on my program, and this is really what I see myself doing in the future.

I was thinking of showing pictures of my dad's uncle and his family to show that I do have other family members besides my parents, so it's not really as weak as they think it is. I was also thinking of availing a life insurance plan, but I don't know if that would work. Do you have any suggestions? :(

As for the processing time, I think it's faster here. Many have gotten approved in 30 days through the regular stream, but again, this is probably just wishful thinking. I am just so tired of waiting. I was supposed to start last September, but I had to move it to January, and now I might have to move it again to September. I feel like I'm wasting away my life :(

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have a bachelor's degree in diplomatic/international relations and applied for a 2-year diploma in Early Childhood Education :(
Choice of program and i assume lengthy of your SOP raised other questions.. 6pages SOP with tons of pictures? I also believe ECE curriculum is based on Canadian Legal regulatory framework, but you want to take that to other Country which may not have that similarity. Its same as applying to do Canadian Business Law or Taxation and convincing VO you’ll return back to your home country. That brings purpose of visit. But order gcms notes

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Choice of program and i assume lengthy of your SOP raised other questions.. 6pages SOP with tons of pictures? I also believe ECE curriculum is based on Canadian Legal regulatory framework, but you want to take that to other Country which may not have that similarity. Its same as applying to do Canadian Business Law or Taxation and convincing VO you’ll return back to your home country. That brings purpose of visit. But order gcms notes
Thank you so much for your response. If I reapply, do I shorten my SOP or just address the refusal grounds on the first page? The SOP doesn't have any pictures. I just included the pictures with my other documents further below (as part of my Client Information file). ECE is definitely regulated there, but I checked all my classes and it would be super relevant as I plan to work with a vulnerable population (they have classes like trauma-sensitive practices, intro to special needs, etc.) I actually mentioned some of the classes I'll be taking and how I plan to utilize what I learn from those classes for my NGO. I thought that would help, but I guess not? I guess I really messed up by making my SOP super long, huh? Maybe the VO got bored and didn't bother reading everything? :(

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you so much for your response. If I reapply, do I shorten my SOP or just address the refusal grounds on the first page? The SOP doesn't have any pictures. I just included the pictures with my other documents further below (as part of my Client Information file). ECE is definitely regulated there, but I checked all my classes and it would be super relevant as I plan to work with a vulnerable population (they have classes like trauma-sensitive practices, intro to special needs, etc.) I actually mentioned some of the classes I'll be taking and how I plan to utilize what I learn from those classes for my NGO. I thought that would help, but I guess not? I guess I really messed up by making my SOP super long, huh? Maybe the VO got bored and didn't bother reading everything? :(
Could be combination of both. But we are trying to address purpose of visit and you had 3 reasons to address, which are both major one... I mean they apply to your situation. Summarizing below and pay attention when you address them if you choose to reapply. We both know toward end your study is to apply PGWP, not returning home and work on what was on your SOP, and most trained VO knows that too. I can be wrong if this doesnt apply to your situation. You also mentioned about affordability and lengthy of studies..

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence: Family Ties in Canada may not apply to your situation, but in your country of residence. You are Foreign National born, raised and holder of Phillipines Permanent residence. This may seems to weaken ties to your home country
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on the purpose of your visit: Choice of program and career progression could be the reason
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your immigration status: Your Immigration status in the Phillipines

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
Could be combination of both. But we are trying to address purpose of visit and you had 3 reasons to address, which are both major one... I mean they apply to your situation. Summarizing below and pay attention when you address them if you choose to reapply. We both know toward end your study is to apply PGWP, not returning home and work on what was on your SOP, and most trained VO knows that too. I can be wrong if this doesnt apply to your situation. You also mentioned about affordability and lengthy of studies..

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence: Family Ties in Canada may not apply to your situation, but in your country of residence. You are Foreign National born, raised and holder of Phillipines Permanent residence. This may seems to weaken ties to your home country
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on the purpose of your visit: Choice of program and career progression could be the reason
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay based on your immigration status: Your Immigration status in the Phillipines
Thank you for the advice. It definitely brought some clarity. Yes, I did mention that another advantage of studying in Canada was that the program was only 2 years long, in comparison to the Philippines where it would be 4 years long. I never talked about it being more affordable because we both know Canada is expensive as heck lol.

I am honestly just super confused. I have never lived in India so it would definitely be impossible to convince the VO that I'd return to India. I was reading about the immigration status refusal ground, and I noticed that it's mainly people living in UAE who have this issue (since the UAE doesn't grant permanent residency). At this point, they should be reassured that I am able to return to the Philippines seeing as I became a PR when I was a baby and have studied and worked here my whole life, and would be able to continue doing so in the future. I just don't know how to go about defending that. If I reapply, what do I even say to address this point? :(

You're right. The purpose of visit can definitely be the choice of my program. I tried my best to defend it by saying that studying international relations in college helped me develop an interest in human rights, which is why I worked and volunteered with NGOs that helped provide education to youth after I graduated. I then became inspired to be a teacher. I just don't understand why they have a problem with that. It's beyond frustrating. :(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I mentioned that the education system in Canada differs vastly from the one we have in the Philippines. It is more progressive and hands-on, which is why I want to learn how to be an effective educator by studying ECE in Canada. Almost everyone from the Philippines chooses a 2-year diploma over a postgraduate diploma or a master's degree because it's cheaper and it's already 2 years so it helps with the whole PGWP thing down the line. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue here by choosing a diploma despite already having a degree (I think the visa officers here in the Philippines are so used to seeing this so they don't even question it, but then again, I am just assuming here so you're right that there is definitely a possibility that I got refused because of that). :( I just don't know what to do. ECE definitely is my main interest. I spent months deciding on my program, and this is really what I see myself doing in the future.

I was thinking of showing pictures of my dad's uncle and his family to show that I do have other family members besides my parents, so it's not really as weak as they think it is. I was also thinking of availing a life insurance plan, but I don't know if that would work. Do you have any suggestions? :(

As for the processing time, I think it's faster here. Many have gotten approved in 30 days through the regular stream, but again, this is probably just wishful thinking. I am just so tired of waiting. I was supposed to start last September, but I had to move it to January, and now I might have to move it again to September. I feel like I'm wasting away my life :(
That may be happening to other people but you are not a citizen of the Philippines. Your ties to a country are a job, investments, property and family. Uncle is not a tie. Neither is an insurance plan. An I am confused because you say you want to set up an NGO but then want to move to Canada. What is it? I believe that purpose of visit may show that officer doesn’t believe you are a genuine student with course of study, job opportunities and no ties to country of citizenship. Again it is up to you if you want to reapply without really know reasons for refusal. You must address the reasons in the letter. Some advice:

- select another program that is a post grad or masters (education progression)
- with the program, show career opportunities (promotion, higher pay - you need to justify spending tens of thousands of dollars and taking an ECE program doesn’t get your money back in Canada, ECEs are poorly paid in Canada)
- funds, properties, investments, family
- show travel history

It is not an issue to change careers but then study ECE in the Philippines first and then reapply to expand on your ECE education with a post-grad program.

justbeelieve

Apr 18, 2021
That may be happening to other people but you are not a citizen of the Philippines. Your ties to a country are a job, investments, property and family. Uncle is not a tie. Neither is an insurance plan. An I am confused because you say you want to set up an NGO but then want to move to Canada. What is it? I believe that purpose of visit may show that officer doesn’t believe you are a genuine student with course of study, job opportunities and no ties to country of citizenship. Again it is up to you if you want to reapply without really know reasons for refusal. You must address the reasons in the letter. Some advice:

- select another program that is a post grad or masters (education progression)
- with the program, show career opportunities (promotion, higher pay - you need to justify spending tens of thousands of dollars and taking an ECE program doesn’t get your money back in Canada, ECEs are poorly paid in Canada)
- funds, properties, investments, family
- show travel history

It is not an issue to change careers but then study ECE in the Philippines first and then reapply to expand on your ECE education with a post-grad program.
I honestly mainly just have my family as my ties. I feel that they shouldn't be expecting those in their 20s to already have properties to their name. It's just super unrealistic. I am not really sure what to invest in either. I am still trying to figure life out. I told the visa officers that I want to set up an NGO (I definitely plan to do this after being able to afford to do so), but my plan is to move to Canada first. I'll build the NGO once I have the capability to do so. For the job opportunities, I included some international NGOs operating in the Philippines to explain to them that I plan to work there first to gain more experience before building my NGO. It's just not possible to start one as soon as I return and I understand that doing this is not an easy feat, so I explained that to them.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try to see if there are other programs out there that would be better suited for me. For the ties, I can show the funds I have available, but I don't I'd be able to purchase a property any time soon. Should I show the one my parents have in India? Do you have any advice as to what to invest in? I really have no clue. Should I show government contributions for like pension?

Thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I honestly mainly just have my family as my ties. I feel that they shouldn't be expecting those in their 20s to already have properties to their name. It's just super unrealistic. I am not really sure what to invest in either. I am still trying to figure life out. I told the visa officers that I want to set up an NGO (I definitely plan to do this after being able to afford to do so), but my plan is to move to Canada first. I'll build the NGO once I have the capability to do so. For the job opportunities, I included some international NGOs operating in the Philippines to explain to them that I plan to work there first to gain more experience before building my NGO. It's just not possible to start one as soon as I return and I understand that doing this is not an easy feat, so I explained that to them.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try to see if there are other programs out there that would be better suited for me. For the ties, I can show the funds I have available, but I don't I'd be able to purchase a property any time soon. Should I show the one my parents have in India? Do you have any advice as to what to invest in? I really have no clue. Should I show government contributions for like pension?

Thank you!
I think the “setting up an NGO” furthered complicated your SOP. You say move to Canada first but then you state can’t set up the NGO because your need more experience on your return to a country you are not a citizen of. So the ECE program really doesn’t allow you to set up your NGO on your return, so the program is not relevant. Don’t say what the NGO is but if you are running it shouldn’t you be doing a business degree, MBA or post grade in business? Ties your parents have are not your ties. You can show government pension if you have it.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thank you!
I hope you didn't actually put "move to Canada first" in your SOP.