+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa full-time job?

Jul 6, 2020
Hello,

I came to Canda on an open work permit in march, recently got it converted to study permit (college starts from September 2020). I have read somewhere that due to covid college students are allowed to work full time. Please let me if it's true? Can I work full time at least until college starts?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I came to Canda on an open work permit in march, recently got it converted to study permit (college starts from September 2020). I have read somewhere that due to covid college students are allowed to work full time. Please let me if it's true? Can I work full time at least until college starts?

Thanks in advance.
Some exceptions have been made but it's not quite that wide open.

You can only work full time if you are working in a job that is classified as an essential services. Otherwise it's still restricted to 20 hours per week.

I don't believe any exceptions have been made to starting work early. To the best of my knowledge, you have to wait until your program starts before you will be eligible to work (either part time or full time). The requirement to be "in an academic session" still applies. You won't be in an academic session until September.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html

Jul 6, 2020
Some exceptions have been made but it's not quite that wide open.

You can only work full time if you are working in a job that is classified as an essential services. Otherwise it's still restricted to 20 hours per week.

I don't believe any exceptions have been made to starting work early. To the best of my knowledge, you have to wait until your program starts before you will be eligible to work (either part time or full time). The requirement to be "in an academic session" still applies. You won't be in an academic session until September.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Jul 6, 2020
Sounds like you were unaware that you had to stop working when you got the study permit.
Yes, because I was never working as everything was shut down due to Covid since we came in March. In the meantime, I got my student visa. As many places are opening now I wanted to start looking for a job.
Thank you for replying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, because I was never working as everything was shut down due to Covid since we came in March. In the meantime, I got my student visa. As many places are opening now I wanted to start looking for a job.
Thank you for replying.
You can’t start working until the first day of classes even if online. For essential workers I believe you have to eligible to work before being able to qualify to work full-time versus part-time.