+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa & Dependant Visa for family

Mihir Joshi

Mar 13, 2023
Category........
WP
Hey..

My wife has applied for PG certificate course(1.5 yr) in Ontario for Sept'23 intake.
Me and our child want to accompany her. Where I get Work permit and child (2.5-3 yrs) gets dependant visa.

How should we apply the visas?

1. Her's first through SDS then our dependant visas.
2. Apply together through SDS.

Going further, if we choose Option 1 do we need to create 2 GIC certificates? or Only one made under her name of 20k CAD will suffice for our visa application also?

We are extremely confused in option-1 & 2.

Option-1-
- We are at least sure that her visa will get approved.
- But then our child being a toddler, my wife cannot stay apart for too long (we are pointing this out in our SOP.
- Our visas might get rejected and she will have to go alone.
- How long do we wait before applying our visa? (Do we have to wait till approval of her visa?)

Option-2
- Faster processing through SDS
- We are sure to go together.
- We can list of family ties in India as
We both are single child to our parents.
We have 2 houses of our own in India
We intend to get experience there and start business back in india.
and so on..

We we actually fear is visa rejection and she being there and child being here.
Hence want some expert advices.

We personally are inclined towards Option-2. But IDP fellow advised us against it saying there's 50% rejection chance in Option-2 and only 20% in Option-1.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey..

My wife has applied for PG certificate course(1.5 yr) in Ontario for Sept'23 intake.
Me and our child want to accompany her. Where I get Work permit and child (2.5-3 yrs) gets dependant visa.

How should we apply the visas?

1. Her's first through SDS then our dependant visas.
2. Apply together through SDS.

Going further, if we choose Option 1 do we need to create 2 GIC certificates? or Only one made under her name of 20k CAD will suffice for our visa application also?

We are extremely confused in option-1 & 2.

Option-1-
- We are at least sure that her visa will get approved.
- But then our child being a toddler, my wife cannot stay apart for too long (we are pointing this out in our SOP.
- Our visas might get rejected and she will have to go alone.
- How long do we wait before applying our visa? (Do we have to wait till approval of her visa?)

Option-2
- Faster processing through SDS
- We are sure to go together.
- We can list of family ties in India as
We both are single child to our parents.
We have 2 houses of our own in India
We intend to get experience there and start business back in india.
and so on..

We we actually fear is visa rejection and she being there and child being here.
Hence want some expert advices.

We personally are inclined towards Option-2. But IDP fellow advised us against it saying there's 50% rejection chance in Option-2 and only 20% in Option-1.
Would your wife study in Canada alone? What is her education and work history? Is she currently working? What degree is she applying for?

Mihir Joshi

Mar 13, 2023
Category........
WP
Would your wife study in Canada alone? What is her education and work history? Is she currently working? What degree is she applying for?
Yes she will be studying alone. SHe has master's degree in engineering from India. She just got accepted at Durham College, Oshawa for Project Management course.
I will apply for work permit along with the dependant visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes she will be studying alone. SHe has master's degree in engineering from India. She just got accepted at Durham College, Oshawa for Project Management course.
I will apply for work permit along with the dependant visa.
She will need a very strong reason to project management course if she already has a masters in engineering. She will need to prove that a project management degree will lead to career progression and makes sense based on her education and work history. Has she been working since having a child?

Mihir Joshi

Mar 13, 2023
Category........
WP
She will need a very strong reason to project management course if she already has a masters in engineering. She will need to prove that a project management degree will lead to career progression and makes sense based on her education and work history. Has she been working since having a child?
Yes she has been working full time since 2015 without break and right now she's a Assistant project manager. So we think we can prove she is well eligible for the course and the course will come handy for her progress her career.

But the main thing we are afraid of is Visa processing in terms of Family ties in India. if you go through my post and Option -1&2

Mr_Kumar

Feb 2, 2023
Ghaziabad
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2022
Med's Done....
21 Nov 2022
Dear @Mihir Joshi

First of all, I am no expert at all. But I can tell you what I learned from experts about my case.

My age is 42 yrs, and my child is in 10th grade (today was his last board exam). I am a businessman and a postgraduate. When I started I was not aware of the importance of choosing the right course and I took admission in business administration diploma.

I too wanted to apply VISA for all three of us together. Thankfully, advisors at my university suggested applying just for me alone (study permit). Also, warned me about the wrong selection of course. So, now everything was dependent on SOP. Luckily I got succeeded in writing an awesome SOP resulting in Passport Request on my study permit application. Got approval.

In your case..... I think (based on what college advisors said during my discussion with them) if you all 3 apply for visas together then visa officers will take it as you'll not return back. Being a single child of your parents (at your age; which I believe is quite young) seems not sufficient as strong ties because your parents can take care of themselves (they are not dependent on you). Having a property is also not a very strong tie, although property should be owned by you personally (not belonging to your parents and you'll descend it as being a single child).

In conclusion.... to be on the very safe side (to make your profile strong), which is highly recommended, you should first apply for your wife's study permit only.

In my case... I know... the best situation will be when I apply for OWP for my wife & study permit for my child after reaching Canada. This is the safest for me. But I am exploring the chances of taking them together. So, I don't know.... how all 3 can go together when got a visa for only one.

I hope this will help a bit in taking your decision.

Reactions: Mihir Joshi

Mihir Joshi

Mar 13, 2023
Category........
WP
Dear @Mihir Joshi

First of all, I am no expert at all. But I can tell you what I learned from experts about my case.

My age is 42 yrs, and my child is in 10th grade (today was his last board exam). I am a businessman and a postgraduate. When I started I was not aware of the importance of choosing the right course and I took admission in business administration diploma.

I too wanted to apply VISA for all three of us together. Thankfully, advisors at my university suggested applying just for me alone (study permit). Also, warned me about the wrong selection of course. So, now everything was dependent on SOP. Luckily I got succeeded in writing an awesome SOP resulting in Passport Request on my study permit application. Got approval.

In your case..... I think (based on what college advisors said during my discussion with them) if you all 3 apply for visas together then visa officers will take it as you'll not return back. Being a single child of your parents (at your age; which I believe is quite young) seems not sufficient as strong ties because your parents can take care of themselves (they are not dependent on you). Having a property is also not a very strong tie, although property should be owned by you personally (not belonging to your parents and you'll descend it as being a single child).

In conclusion.... to be on the very safe side (to make your profile strong), which is highly recommended, you should first apply for your wife's study permit only.

In my case... I know... the best situation will be when I apply for OWP for my wife & study permit for my child after reaching Canada. This is the safest for me. But I am exploring the chances of taking them together. So, I don't know.... how all 3 can go together when got a visa for only one.

I hope this will help a bit in taking your decision.
Hello,

Congratulations to you on getting the Passport request.

Yes I am 32 years old. We are also being advised the same i.e. let her go and then apply for my OWP and son's dependant visa.

You are right being single child and property were our only remaining ties in India. We have a property solely on our name, but yes we do understand the concern of going into the rejection loop.

We were only wondering about one thing which is; Will the child being 2.5 yrs make the case stronger as we can portray that child & mother need each other.

Otherwise we have also arrived at same conclusion of getting her there first.

Also request you to let me know if you find find out any way of travelling together.

Thank you.

Reactions: Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar

Feb 2, 2023
Ghaziabad
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2022
Med's Done....
21 Nov 2022
Hello,

Congratulations to you on getting the Passport request.

Yes I am 32 years old. We are also being advised the same i.e. let her go and then apply for my OWP and son's dependant visa.

You are right being single child and property were our only remaining ties in India. We have a property solely on our name, but yes we do understand the concern of going into the rejection loop.

We were only wondering about one thing which is; Will the child being 2.5 yrs make the case stronger as we can portray that child & mother need each other.

Otherwise we have also arrived at same conclusion of getting her there first.

Also request you to let me know if you find find out any way of travelling together.

Thank you.
So far, I don't have any genuine way to travel together.
You also let me know if you got some clues about traveling together.

Cheers!