+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa approved but i forgot to update DLI Letter of Acceptance

stuki

Nov 12, 2020
Hi guys,

i just got my student visa approved but i forgot to update DLI Letter of Acceptance ( start and end of the program ) in my CIC account. My studies supposed to start in October 2020 but DLI decided to postponed it until January 15th, 2021.

Visa is approved until 11/30/2022 but my studies will end (hopefully) in February 2023. I am applying for the first time and i am not sure what to do now. Is there a way to contact IRCC (or its too late now) and let them know about this change, or i can just bring new/updated LOA with me and show it to the officer at the port of entry?

Please advise

Thank you

Last edited:

stuki

Nov 12, 2020
I applied from Croatia on July 31, 2020
Date of Biometrics Enrolment: August 21, 2020
AIP: September 3, 2020
BVL: November 9,2020
Final decision: November 11,2020 Your application to study in Canada has been approved.

dishpan142

Sep 2, 2020
I think you can apply for an extension at a later date. Your approved permit will not get affected. IRCC clarifies that deferrals or leaves of absences don't affect their approval decisions.

stuki

Nov 12, 2020
Are you sure there is no way to contact them and change the permit expiry date? It should be a easy fix, at least i think so, correct me if i am wrong

dishpan142

Sep 2, 2020
Are you sure there is no way to contact them and change the permit expiry date? It should be a easy fix, at least i think so, correct me if i am wrong
I don't know. Maybe an immigration consultant or a subject matter expert can help out.

marmik1617

Jan 4, 2020
You have two options.
1) If you want to change dates then you have to reapply again.
2) Go there (1st time) at airport and when they will ask you for doc. then show them NEW OFFER LETTER so your study permit print according to NEW OFFER LETTER then you have to apply for extension after 1 year.

2nd option is worth and many students are doing that so don't worry. You have not made any mistake it is just for covid so don't worry.

GO there in winter 2021 and show your new offer letter when they print your study permit.

Reactions: stuki

stuki

Nov 12, 2020
If the difference is no more than 150 days, you do not have to update your LOA.
Thank you for the fast reply. What that means? If i show up with my new LOA they will give me a permit that is valid until February 2023 + 90 days?

stuki

Nov 12, 2020
You have two options.
1) If you want to change dates then you have to reapply again.
2) Go there (1st time) at airport and when they will ask you for doc. then show them NEW OFFER LETTER so your study permit print according to NEW OFFER LETTER then you have to apply for extension after 1 year.

2nd option is worth and many students are doing that so don't worry. You have not made any mistake it is just for covid so don't worry.

GO there in winter 2021 and show your new offer letter when they print your study permit.
Thank you, i appreciate it.

jmbits

Oct 19, 2020
Thank you for the fast reply. What that means? If I show up with my new LOA they will give me a permit that is valid until February 2023 + 90 days?
You can find the following text here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit.html
Deferred enrolment
After a study permit application is submitted (150 days or less)

If less than 150 days have passed since the intended program start date, officers should continue to process the study permit application.

stuki

Nov 12, 2020
You can find the following text here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit.html
Deferred enrolment
After a study permit application is submitted (150 days or less)

If less than 150 days have passed since the intended program start date, officers should continue to process the study permit application.
I am really sorry, don't want to be annoying but i think i don't understand it. Does this means i will get my visa permit until end of February 2023 ( like it says on my updated LOA ) + 90 days once i land in Canada and show updated documents to immigration officer? This part is confusing me ( officers should continue to process the study permit application ). My application is already processed and approved.

jmbits

Oct 19, 2020
I am really sorry, don't want to be annoying but i think i don't understand it. Does this means i will get my visa permit until end of February 2023 ( like it says on my updated LOA ) + 90 days once i land in Canada and show updated documents to immigration officer? This part is confusing me ( officers should continue to process the study permit application ). My application is already processed and approved.
As far as I know, your study permit is not your visa. And the letter you receive does not specify the expiration of your study permit. You just need to show the new LOA and the study permit approval when you get the visa.

Reactions: stuki

stuki

Nov 12, 2020
As far as I know, your study permit is not your visa. And the letter you receive does not specify the expiration of your study permit. You just need to show the new LOA and the study permit approval when you get the visa.
On the second page of the approval letter it says:

Validity (YYYY/MM/DD): 2022/11/30
Must enter Canada by (YYYY/MM/DD): 2022/11/30

PatrickT

Aug 27, 2020
The visa is only for travel purpose, and you will get the study permit when you land to the airport. Office will base on your LOA to issue the SP. In case the SP expires sooner than your program, you can always extend the SP so no worry. Study Permit is the one decided whether you can stay in Canada, not the visa.