+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

student visa application without study permit, Quebec!

Chris94

Jul 25, 2019
CAN I APPLY FOR A STUDENT VISA WITH JUST CAQ, WHILE MY STUDY PERMIT IS IN PROCESS?
THE SESSION WILL BEGIN SOON
I have admission in McGill, Can I apply for a student visa without a study permit as I only have CAQ at the moment? before my study permit will be granted the fall session might have begun. However, it is possible I have my study permit already at my time of travel.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CAN I APPLY FOR A STUDENT VISA WITH JUST CAQ, WHILE MY STUDY PERMIT IS IN PROCESS?
THE SESSION WILL BEGIN SOON
I have admission in McGill, Can I apply for a student visa without a study permit as I only have CAQ at the moment? before my study permit will be granted the fall session might have begun. However, it is possible I have my study permit already at my time of travel.

Your questions doesn't really make sense. A study visa and a study permit are effectively the same thing.

Chris94

Jul 25, 2019
strange, as far as i know
study permit is permission to study in canada, while study visa is permit to live in canada
so it is possible you have a visa but no study permit and still be allowed into the country

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A study permit authorises you to study in Canada , Temporary Resident VISA (TRV) authorises you to travel to Canada and allows you entry for the duration of your studies. If you are visa exempt then you just have a study permit and an ETA which allows you to board a plane.

There is no such thing really as a study visa it is a study permit.

If you only have a TRV or are visa exempt and no study permit then sure you can travel to Canada but may be restricted to a max 6 month visitor stay by default until you have a study permit which you will need to obtain at a POE. Also although no way to predict travelling with a one way ticket without a study permit approval may be a challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris94

Chris94

Jul 25, 2019
thanks alot! now i understand
i have started applying for study permit online, if it comes back positive, what happens from there? do i go to the embassy to pick it up or an electronic verson which can be printed and shown at Point of entry?

Chris94

Jul 25, 2019
thanks alot! now i understand
i have started applying for study permit online, if it comes back positive, what happens from there? do i go to the embassy to pick it up or an electronic verson which can be printed and shown at Point of entry?