+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa and then Immigration

HarkiratBhalla

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Friends i am 36 years old and planning to do 1 year diploma course in Canada and after that i wish to take PR . Do you think so this is right route to move to Canada.

Need expert advise on this.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HarkiratBhalla said:
Friends i am 36 years old and planning to do 1 year diploma course in Canada and after that i wish to take PR . Do you think so this is right route to move to Canada.

depends on what your educational qualifications are, and what your work experience is...
usually getting student visa on diplomas is quite hard anyways... FYI

jaymax

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
09-03-2016
LANDED..........
09-12-2016
HarkiratBhalla said:

You are 36 right now. After your diploma you will be 37. You will still need to make an EE profile where you ll lose points due to age.

Do a check on your CRS score at 37 age. How much does it become. If its below 450 this approach will only cost you money and wont bring any results.

Ioftenyell

Jun 29, 2016
HarkiratBhalla said:

Dear friend, I did exactly the same thing you did and here I am in Canada. Just make sure you apply for a decent program to maximize your chances of getting a job offer. Do not wait until you arrive to create your EE profile. Just take the IELTS, aim to get 9 in all the 4 components and you'll be golden. Nevertheless, previous work experience and education are paramount. You will be granted only one year of Post Graduation Work Permit and you'd have to be relentless to get a job and convey that year into meaningful work experience that counts towards your PR status.

Best of luck, and take most of the information from this blog with a pinch of salt. Many outland applicants saying dumb things to create discouragement among potential peers.

HarkiratBhalla

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Ioftenyell said:
Dear friend, I did exactly the same thing you did and here I am in Canada. Just make sure you apply for a decent program to maximize your chances of getting a job offer. Do not wait until you arrive to create your EE profile. Just take the IELTS, aim to get 9 in all the 4 components and you'll be golden. Nevertheless, previous work experience and education are paramount. You will be granted only one year of Post Graduation Work Permit and you'd have to be relentless to get a job and convey that year into meaningful work experience that counts towards your PR status.

Best of luck, and take most of the information from this blog with a pinch of salt. Many outland applicants saying dumb things to create discouragement among potential peers.

Thank you so much for encouraging me for the path i am in. Just to inform i am a MBA from India with work experience of 11 years. I am into product management and thinking to do something in the same stream.

Which programme to select is the main concern i am working on it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
HarkiratBhalla said:

Thank you so much for encouraging me for the path i am in. Just to inform i am a MBA from India with work experience of 11 years. I am into product management and thinking to do something in the same stream.

Which programme to select is the main concern i am working on it.

Best option would be to do another MBA

economicalindian

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Very Encouraging words

Ioftenyell said:

Ioftenyell

Jun 29, 2016
dell2 said:
Do 2 year program, don't waste PGWP with 1 year.

PGWP is one time thing only
This is important. However, not everyone has $30K to spare in 2 years of school. Perhaps, OP has only $15K. Who knows? only him/her. Hopefully he has the money to apply for an MBA which according to my own reseach the cheapest option would be Ryerson U starting at $20K.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Ioftenyell said:

Good for you. But I also know few ppl who did the same and ended up returning to their home country, regretting for wasted time and money. Completing course in Canada and even Canadian job experience doesn't guaranty PR. Trying getting PR through "student route" is a big risk considering age of applicant, education he wants to pursue and PGWP length.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
pfse said:
Good for you. But I also know few ppl who did the same and ended up returning to their home country, regretting for wasted time and money. Completing course in Canada and even Canadian job experience doesn't guaranty PR. Trying getting PR through "student route" is a big risk considering age of applicant, education he wants to pursue and PGWP length.
It really depends on the person. I found a job with a LMIA while I was a student, which got an automatic 600 points and qualified for PR. You need the skills, and they need to be in something where there is a shortage in Canada. It might mean going somewhere remote, but it's doable.

economicalindian

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
can you list down some skills which are in shortage

kateg said:
It really depends on the person. I found a job with a LMIA while I was a student, which got an automatic 600 points and qualified for PR. You need the skills, and they need to be in something where there is a shortage in Canada. It might mean going somewhere remote, but it's doable.

newmoon_h

Mar 10, 2012
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If it is possible try to go for a two years program. After one year you will get one year PGWP only, which is not often sufficient to get one year Canadian job experience. Try go get a high score in language test. By the time you will arrive, you will know how much extra points the immigration minister gives to the international students. Calculate your CRS and see how much points do you get in total. It will help you to make a better decision. Also, I don't want to discourage you, but considering your age this will be a very risky decision. Don't rely on the skill shortage only.