+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Vısa and OPW for Spouse

mberkayy

Oct 11, 2021
Hello everyone,

My wife got admission to 2-years public college in Toronto. She is going to apply for a student visa and I want apply to Open Work Permit on her student visa.
I want to ask you if we can both apply at the same time? Should we make an application separately or she can just include me in her student visa application?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021
Vancouver, BC
Hi mberkayy,

Yes, you can apply for your open work permit at the same time as your spouse.
There should be two separate application packages (one for a study permit for your spouse and one for your open work permit) in one application (if online, your wife should click "YES" when she is asked "Do you want to submit an application for a family member?" and if the paper application, put two application packages in one envelope)
Hope this helps :)

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Hello everyone,

My wife got admission to 2-years public college in Toronto. She is going to apply for a student visa and I want apply to Open Work Permit on her student visa.
I want to ask you if we can both apply at the same time? Should we make an application separately or she can just include me in her student visa application?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards.
Yes, you can can. But think about it, because we have seen that app gets delayed or rejected sometimes due to ties at home thingy. There is no sure way to tell that its bad but for Indian applications its risky. Thats why most of us dont apply SOWP during SP. First SP and then SOWP to reduce chances of rejection and reduce time it takes to approve the SP. But research more on this topic and then take decisions, its all subjective.

mberkayy

Oct 11, 2021
Hi mberkayy,

Yes, you can apply for your open work permit at the same time as your spouse.
There should be two separate application packages (one for a study permit for your spouse and one for your open work permit) in one application (if online, your wife should click "YES" when she is asked "Do you want to submit an application for a family member?" and if the paper application, put two application packages in one envelope)
Hope this helps :)
Thank you for your reply. We both are going to apply online that's why I was confused, now I figured it out.
Thanks a lot

mberkayy

Oct 11, 2021
Yes, you can can. But think about it, because we have seen that app gets delayed or rejected sometimes due to ties at home thingy. There is no sure way to tell that its bad but for Indian applications its risky. Thats why most of us dont apply SOWP during SP. First SP and then SOWP to reduce chances of rejection and reduce time it takes to approve the SP. But research more on this topic and then take decisions, its all subjective.
Hello, thank you for your advice. I researched it a lot, I know it's a bit risky.
I want to go to Canada together with her, that's the main reason why we apply together. What about if she gets a study permit, and then I will apply ETA so we can go together, and then I will apply for SOWP after. In this scenario, would it be faster to get the result for SOWP? or would it be the same?
We both are going to show employment in our home country, the license of the car that we have, also we have pets and I am going to add our pet's ID in the application so we can convince the visa officer that we will return back, I thought it would be enough, but you are right never know what is gonna happen.

Last edited:

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hello, thank you for your advice. I researched it a lot, I know it's a bit risky.
I want to go to Canada together with her, that's the main reason why we apply together. What about if she gets a study permit, and then I will apply ETA so we can go together, and then I will apply for SOWP after. In this scenario, would it be faster to get the result for SOWP? or would it be the same?
We both are going to show employment in our home country, the license of the car that we have, also we have pets and I am going to add our pet's ID in the application so we can convenience the visa officer we will return back, I thought it would be enough, but you are right never know what is gonna happen.
Both me and my spouse came this way. Hope for the best. Appply together and for the rest, leave it upto your luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance,

Best regards.
OWP isn’t guaranteed for spouses. If your spouse wouldn’t come to Canada without you then apply together. If she will still come to Canada without you and wants to try and get approval for January I would suggest she apply on her own.

Reactions: wonderbly

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
OWP isn’t guaranteed for spouses. If your spouse wouldn’t come to Canada without you then apply together. If she will still come to Canada without you and wants to try and get approval for January I would suggest she apply on her own.
The best suggestion to be followed. You are right.