+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

STUDENT & SYPHILIS - am I INADMISSIBLE???

sunny878

Nov 11, 2013
Hi all..

i applied to for a Student visa in Sept! received my medical letter and got done on by the end of the previous month. but i got a call on a few days ago from IOM (where i gave my medical) that that they got my VDRL slightly positive! and i have to do a confirmation TPHA test. I got done with that the same day! they told me they will inform me about the results, but still waiting for that.. i was worried and never knew if i had syphilis, so i went and had my VDRL test and got 1:2 positive. My private TPHA result will come on later this month. but i am so worried. would i be inadmissible if i am found positive with syphilis? my classes start in Jan.. would i be able to make it till then?? :'( :-[ :-[ :-[

Mia A S

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2013
Med's Request
29-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
soon...sana with my family
Syphilis is a communicable disease. It is likely that they will require you to finish a course of medication and get yourself treated first. Canada is very particular with sexually transmitted disease and are hesitant to accept foreigners who might have a communicable disease.

sunny878 said:
Hi all..

i applied to for a Student visa in Sept! received my medical letter and got done on by the end of the previous month. but i got a call on a few days ago from IOM (where i gave my medical) that that they got my VDRL slightly positive! and i have to do a confirmation TPHA test. I got done with that the same day! they told me they will inform me about the results, but still waiting for that.. i was worried and never knew if i had syphilis, so i went and had my VDRL test and got 1:2 positive. My private TPHA result will come on later this month. but i am so worried. would i be inadmissible if i am found positive with syphilis? my classes start in Jan.. would i be able to make it till then?? :'( :-[ :-[ :-[

sunny878

Nov 11, 2013
Mia A S said:
Syphilis is a communicable disease. It is likely that they will require you to finish a course of medication and get yourself treated first. Canada is very particular with sexually transmitted disease and are hesitant to accept foreigners who might have a communicable disease.

thank you for your response! so u mean, if i get positive with syphilis... i will need to get the treatment first? that is what i am not sure of.. should i get it treated on my own or should i wait for the IOM to contact me and give me the treatment??? i have heard its a 3 weeks treatment and an on going checkup after 3, 6, 12 and 24 months!! 3 weeks treatment includes the antibiotic shots in the back!! all i know is what i researched from the internet!! thank you again for your response! i am just worried that only 1.5 month is left and would be granted visa? how many chances do i have to get refused/rejected? :'(

Mia A S

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2013
Med's Request
29-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
Even if you are not after a visa, you need to get treatment as soon as possible. Syphillis if left untreated can do damage in the brain. Do not wait for the IOM to contact you. Go to a physician as soon as possible. The course of treatment will depend on the severity or strain of the infection. Might be a slim chance of getting a visa but then again that is not a main priority as your health is.

sunny878 said:
thank you for your response! so u mean, if i get positive with syphilis... i will need to get the treatment first? that is what i am not sure of.. should i get it treated on my own or should i wait for the IOM to contact me and give me the treatment??? i have heard its a 3 weeks treatment and an on going checkup after 3, 6, 12 and 24 months!! 3 weeks treatment includes the antibiotic shots in the back!! all i know is what i researched from the internet!! thank you again for your response! i am just worried that only 1.5 month is left and would be granted visa? how many chances do i have to get refused/rejected? :'(

sunny878

Nov 11, 2013
thank you Mia!! i will just get my reports of TPHA test that i did privately. But there is still more then a week. i will take it to some good doctor for the treatment. thanks for your help and advise!! really appreciate it.

Mia A S

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2013
Med's Request
29-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
Ok, sunny878!

I hope all's well.
:)

sunny878 said:
thank you Mia!! i will just get my reports of TPHA test that i did privately. But there is still more then a week. i will take it to some good doctor for the treatment. thanks for your help and advise!! really appreciate it.

Jacinta

Nov 29, 2013
Hi guys sorry if i used this topic just want to know a friend of mine applying for ainp and she is worried because she have herpes and she got it from her boyfriend in canada. If she need to do her medical do you think it will show up to her medical result? Though we know that there is no cure for herpes but it can be treated?

Thank you

marco0331

Nov 1, 2021
hi sunny,

how are you? how is your TPHA result and your student visa?