+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Spouse OWP (Open Work Permit) when and where to apply?

pauline777

Nov 2, 2016
I obtained the study visa and the program starts in August.

Question:

1. We plan to go to Canada in June. Before my program starts, can my partner apply for the spouse OWP?

2. For OWP, better to apply online (CIC) or do the Flag-polling (apply in person at one of the Canadian boarder)?

Thank you in advance for the help :) :)

YWChen

Nov 11, 2016
1. yes. if you are a study permit hold, your partner can get spouse OWP. I don't know where you are from. I am from a visa-exemption country, so my spouse entered Canada as a visitor and he applied his OWP in Canada.
2. I don't know which one is better but my spouse got his OWP by doing flag-polling in 2012.
I spoke to the international student advisor from my university recently and he said that its not the boarder officers' duty to issue work permits or study permits. So you might have a small chance of being rejected to be granted the permit. They would think if you can do it online, why do you need to come to border to do it? For your information.

pauline777 said:
I obtained the study visa and the program starts in August.

Question:

1. We plan to go to Canada in June. Before my program starts, can my partner apply for the spouse OWP?

2. For OWP, better to apply online (CIC) or do the Flag-polling (apply in person at one of the Canadian boarder)?

Thank you in advance for the help :) :)