+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student permit's spouse, PGWP and CEC application

tp_marina

Star Member
Nov 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends.

If my husband has a study permit for a postgraduate certificate of 1 year, I can get an open work permit, correct? Then, once his study permit is expiring, he can apply for PGWP of 1 year. Can I extend my open work permit for the same amount of time? Do I have to wait for him to get his PGWP so I can extend my open work permit or how does that work?

One more question: Am I eligible to apply for CEC by working during this open work permit time? Am I allowed to ask for the BOWP, even though I only got the open work permit because my husband was on a study permit and PGWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply for an open work permit if your husband is studying in Canada - however there is of course no guarantee the OWP will be approved.

To extend your work permit once your husband is getting a PGWP, he must have a full time job that is NOC A, B or 0.

If you meet the requirements - you can apply for CEC.

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tp_marina said:
Hi friends.

If my husband has a study permit for a postgraduate certificate of 1 year, I can get an open work permit, correct? Then, once his study permit is expiring, he can apply for PGWP of 1 year. Can I extend my open work permit for the same amount of time? Do I have to wait for him to get his PGWP so I can extend my open work permit or how does that work?

One more question: Am I eligible to apply for CEC by working during this open work permit time? Am I allowed to ask for the BOWP, even though I only got the open work permit because my husband was on a study permit and PGWP?
We had a similar situation. My wife's is currently studying (Master's) and I am working on an open work permit. I completed 1 Year of Canadian work experience and applied under EE CEC ( I have foreign work experience too). Still awaiting decision. Hope that helps.

CASE005

Jan 2, 2014
Hi Guys need your advise.
My wife is about to apply for her study permit and we have two little kids.
Can we all apply together while at the same time i apply for the Open Work Permit
Or does she apply first with the kids and then i join her on a visitors visa and change to an Open work permit while in canada?
Anyone with valuable experience should please share.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
CASE005 said:
Hi Guys need your advise.
My wife is about to apply for her study permit and we have two little kids.
Can we all apply together while at the same time i apply for the Open Work Permit
Or does she apply first with the kids and then i join her on a visitors visa and change to an Open work permit while in canada?
Anyone with valuable experience should please share.
You can all apply together.thats what we did and we got approved together.

pochfaye0704

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
BC, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CIO
NOC Code......
NOC B 1241
Job Offer........
Yes
Nomination.....
11-10-2018
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Passport Req..
28-08-2019
hi,

i'm planning to apply for a student visa, and i read here that you can apply altogether if you want your spouse to be included. my question is, I am already here in Canada and my husband is still in the Philippines, when i apply here in canada, what should i do, so that my husband can have his OWp?

thank you in advance

Linzar

Star Member
Dec 29, 2015
@excitedme

Does applying together mean building single application from an id.
Little confused. Can you please share some more information?

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Linzar said:
@excitedme

Does applying together mean building single application from an id.
Little confused. Can you please share some more information?
Our application was put together my study permit,spouse work permit, daughters visitor permit. The application was processed together. We got the medical request at the same time and decision at the same time.

Hope this helps

Linzar

Star Member
Dec 29, 2015
@excitedme
Thanks for the reply.
Can u plz share what all documents were requested for spouse work permit. The eligibility tools mentions proof of travel as required document for the accompanying family member.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Linzar said:
@excitedme
Thanks for the reply.
Can u plz share what all documents were requested for spouse work permit. The eligibility tools mentions proof of travel as required document for the accompanying family member.
For my spouse we provide the following:
Education certificates
Proof of employment
Proof of funds
Resume
Passport and copies of visas

Reactions: hopefulnomad

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Linzar said:
thanks excitedme
One more thing, my spouse wrote a statement of purpose. A simple letter stating why he wud accompany me and his chances of getting a job to support me whiles in Canada.

I also included in my letter, that he would be accompanying me.

All the best

Reactions: hopefulnomad

CASE005

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for your reply it helped. I do need more information. Can you give me a rough idea of how much in CDN you had in your bank statement when you applied as proof of funds and asides bank statement did you show any other documents as proof of funds?

Thank you