+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student permit - Permanent Resident travel document

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.

You should not renounce your PR status. You can study anywhere as a PR and you'll be paying domestic tuition fees instead of international fees.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
You should not renounce your PR status. You can study anywhere as a PR and you'll be paying domestic tuition fees instead of international fees.
Okay, that's great. So if I spend two years in British Columbia and come back to Ontario once I am done with my Masters I would have to spend 700 days( approx) within 3 years in order to retain my PR?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Okay, that's great. So if I spend two years in British Columbia and come back to Ontario once I am done with my Masters I would have to spend 700 days( approx) within 3 years in order to retain my PR?
its 2 years out of the 5 years for maintaining residency. So 2 years in Canada and the remaining 3 years you can live outside Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unless you have a valid PR card, you will need a PRTD to travel to Canada. You should apply now, as it can take a while to process. You would apply for H&C consideration for being removed as a child, but, given you are currently 21, your chances are significantly lower than if you had applied at 18. A lot will depend on your previous establishment in Canada as well. You need to have a back up plan, as there is the risk they will refuse your PRTD, at which point you can appeal or renounce. Appeals will take at least 8-12 months, if not longer. As you haven't been in Canada in the last 365 days, it is unlikely they will provide you with a PRTD or temporary PR card (things to be considered if you are planning to continue your education in the near future).

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
Unless you have a valid PR card, you will need a PRTD to travel to Canada. You should apply now, as it can take a while to process. You would apply for H&C consideration for being removed as a child, but, given you are currently 21, your chances are significantly lower than if you had applied at 18. A lot will depend on your previous establishment in Canada as well. You need to have a back up plan, as there is the risk they will refuse your PRTD, at which point you can appeal or renounce. Appeals will take at least 8-12 months, if not longer. As you haven't been in Canada in the last 365 days, it is unlikely they will provide you with a PRTD or temporary PR card (things to be considered if you are planning to continue your education in the near future).
Okay so even if I renounce my PR rn. It shouldn’t affect my future application no. I am worried about that. ( If I apply for it after my studies )

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Okay so even if I renounce my PR rn. It shouldn’t affect my future application no. I am worried about that. ( If I apply for it after my studies )
Renouncing won't affect future applications for either a visa or PR. If you've paid your fees, you might want to consider deferring until next semester.....a PRTD can take a while to process. Alternately, renouncing and applying for a student visa can take a while too......you're cutting it really close for this semester.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No way that PRTD with H&C will come through before September. I would speak to the program director at SFU and ask whether you could defer until next year and mention you will likely be a domestic student. See what they say. Whether schools admit it or not international and domestic students are admitted in 2 separate pools. Schools reserve a certain number of spots for international students who pay more. The entrance average may be lower for these students vs domestic students. Renouncing your PR and getting a student visa may delay things as well and you may have to consider a January start.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
No way that PRTD with H&C will come through before September. I would speak to the program director at SFU and ask whether you could defer until next year and mention you will likely be a domestic student. See what they say. Whether schools admit it or not international and domestic students are admitted in 2 separate pools. Schools reserve a certain number of spots for international students who pay more. The entrance average may be lower for these students vs domestic students. Renouncing your PR and getting a student visa may delay things as well and you may have to consider a January start.
Yeah I guess deffering is the best option and giving it a shot for getting back my PR.