+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Permit Application just got denied and I have no one to turn to, HELP!

Samantha Saw

Jun 8, 2012
Dear all,

I am a Malaysian and plan to go Canada for getting study abroad experience but my student permit application just got rejected as they mentioned in the letter that they are not convinced I will return after a year when my study and internship program finishes. I have submitted every documents they asked for, the only thing I can think of being a reason of the refusal is probably my open-dated ticket, but it was the ticketing office who was having difficulty in fixing a date for my returning after one year as next year calender yet to show on their booking system! However, the open-dated ticket itself could have proved the one-year validity and I thought it could do the trick to have them convinced but it happened otherwise :(
Worst thing is they do not accept appeal and I need to re-apply again but will attach a ticket with a returning date printed on this time (tentative date which the ticketing office could see on their system and book for my returning).
I need to know if there is any more thing I could submit along to prove I am surely be returning after the completion of my study (language class)?

Any one please help. The immigration does not even entertain calls or write-in, I am in dire need of help for my application.

Thank you in advance,
Sam

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
Samantha Saw said:
Dear all,

I am a Malaysian and plan to go Canada for getting study abroad experience but my student permit application just got rejected as they mentioned in the letter that they are not convinced I will return after a year when my study and internship program finishes. I have submitted every documents they asked for, the only thing I can think of being a reason of the refusal is probably my open-dated ticket, but it was the ticketing office who was having difficulty in fixing a date for my returning after one year as next year calender yet to show on their booking system! However, the open-dated ticket itself could have proved the one-year validity and I thought it could do the trick to have them convinced but it happened otherwise :(
Worst thing is they do not accept appeal and I need to re-apply again but will attach a ticket with a returning date printed on this time (tentative date which the ticketing office could see on their system and book for my returning).
I need to know if there is any more thing I could submit along to prove I am surely be returning after the completion of my study (language class)?

Any one please help. The immigration does not even entertain calls or write-in, I am in dire need of help for my application.

Thank you in advance,
Sam
Sorry to hear about your refusal :(
1. They are not satisfied with your home ties that you will return back to your home country. So you need to show your property/ buisness/ family/ any job that will be offered to you when you return etc. If you show these things the VO will believe that you are well establish in your home country and you will return back.

2. I think the open ticket was not an issue.

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
In the end, it is all luck. God has a final say in things. Just try one more time, perhaps show some travel history or property/business on your name and write a strong statement of purpose if you did not write one before. And, Hoping for the best.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
What YOU thought doesn't matter, miss... what THEY thought does. "Won't return after studies" is a standard reason. There must be a more specific reason on there - tell us that. Also, what's your profile like?

Samantha Saw

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks to those have replied trying to help me out! Appreciate lot!

I got the idea from some of you that the immigration officer was not convinced that I would be returning after the completion of my english language class is not just because of my open-dated ticket but some other things else, could have been something to do with my home ties.. But I did attach the sales and purchase (S&P) to show I am the owner of my apartment (sharing with my dad) and also clearly mentioned in the work history section of the application that I have worked with an international agency, thinking it shows enough "home ties" and there is no reason I would stay in Canada after the completion of school.
However, I am quitting my job just to allow myself to have one year study abroad experience in Canada and that has always been my dream..
To be more precise, the documents I attached are: financial pledge letter from my dad, sponsor letter by my friend who is a canadian mentioning my housing will be taken care of, LOA from school, my bank statement that shows I have enough money to support myself (min 10,000 cad is what I know, right?), sales and purchase of my apartment, study plan clearly mentioned my purpose to learn english is to help my career, recent medical report.
So what else can i show them so to convince them I will surely return?

Please help?

PS: or would it be risky to apply a visitor visa this time though it would be a waste that I supposed to be there for a year but only could spend 3 months top on visitor visa but my departure flight date is approaching, and I yet to figure out which option is the best for me.

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
Samantha Saw said:
Thanks to those have replied trying to help me out! Appreciate lot!

I got the idea from some of you that the immigration officer was not convinced that I would be returning after the completion of my english language class is not just because of my open-dated ticket but some other things else, could have been something to do with my home ties.. But I did attach the sales and purchase (S&P) to show I am the owner of my apartment (sharing with my dad) and also clearly mentioned in the work history section of the application that I have worked with an international agency, thinking it shows enough "home ties" and there is no reason I would stay in Canada after the completion of school.
However, I am quitting my job just to allow myself to have one year study abroad experience in Canada and that has always been my dream..
To be more precise, the documents I attached are: financial pledge letter from my dad, sponsor letter by my friend who is a canadian mentioning my housing will be taken care of, LOA from school, my bank statement that shows I have enough money to support myself (min 10,000 cad is what I know, right?), sales and purchase of my apartment, study plan clearly mentioned my purpose to learn english is to help my career, recent medical report.
So what else can i show them so to convince them I will surely return?

Please help?

PS: or would it be risky to apply a visitor visa this time though it would be a waste that I supposed to be there for a year but only could spend 3 months top on visitor visa but my departure flight date is approaching, and I yet to figure out which option is the best for me.
1. What is this about "sponsor letter by my friend who is a canadian mentioning my housing will be taken care of"?
2. Minimum bank statement should be greater than "1 year fee of your course + 1000 CAD+ 3000"
3. Don't apply on visitor visa, as it would creat ambiguity in your case and will result in refusal. You would prove the VO point that you are not a genuine student.

Lize

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
My opinion is:

If I were the visa officer I would think:

-He is a going to canada willing to spend 10K in English classes. with such amount of money you could easily start a business in your country. Why is he going to spend such amount of money?, as well according with your profile , you are not a rich person sue where you live , where you work , etc. therefore I conclude that he is doing all this effort just to try to get in to canada and then stay illegally. Also showing sponsors that are Canadians/PR it's not an advisable thing to do.

My advice is to apply for a professional program , an advance postgraduate diploma, a bachelors , etc.

Good luck. I recommend you to work more in your profile (changing the date in your ticket is useless, don't apply again just with this change)

Think you are the visa officer, think you are allowing someone to stay IN YOUR HOUSE temporarily, Think you are reviewing some stranger's application.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
What's your programme exactly? English course or internship? I am confused ???

Samantha Saw

Jun 8, 2012
Hi Inam89,

1. What is this about "sponsor letter by my friend who is a canadian mentioning my housing will be taken care of"?
2. Minimum bank statement should be greater than "1 year fee of your course + 1000 CAD+ 3000"
3. Don't apply on visitor visa, as it would creat ambiguity in your case and will result in refusal. You would prove the VO point that you are not a genuine student.
[/quote]

1. Is a letter I got from my family friend that stay in Canada to prove to the immigration officer that I will have a place to stay and also is a way I can save my money for other living expenses.
2. I have the deposit for the school paid and the balance I will have to settle after I get my visa. Besides, I have my bank statement showing my saving with the amount that is in accordance with the requirement hopefully can convince the officer i have adequate financial support.
3. I am on the same page with you on that, but I just thought if it would be difficult and time consuming for me to go for student permit, then I can settle with being in Canada on visitor visa for only 3 months, I just need the "living abroad" experience and take a break from work, and attending english class can help me better my english speaking (been my dream for years) and help me to immense the culture there. But I guess they have my student permit application record already, eh? so they will be suspicious if I am now going for visitor visa, though I just want to do it to save the cost on changing my flight.. Sigh

Samantha Saw

Jun 8, 2012
Hello Lize,

My opinion is:

If I were the visa officer I would think:

-He is a going to canada willing to spend 10K in English classes. with such amount of money you could easily start a business in your country. Why is he going to spend such amount of money?, as well according with your profile , you are not a rich person sue where you live , where you work , etc. therefore I conclude that he is doing all this effort just to try to get in to canada and then stay illegally. Also showing sponsors that are Canadians/PR it's not an advisable thing to do.

My advice is to apply for a professional program , an advance postgraduate diploma, a bachelors , etc.

Good luck. I recommend you to work more in your profile (changing the date in your ticket is useless, don't apply again just with this change)

Think you are the visa officer, think you are allowing someone to stay IN YOUR HOUSE temporarily, Think you are reviewing some stranger's application.

[/quote]

Thanks to your reply. I have my saving of about 10k just to support my living expenses there not for the English class and 10k is not really that much especially my plan is to stay there for a year. My purpose to go there is very simple, that is to better my english at the same time having a short term study abroad experience which has always been my dream, I didn't have chance to do it when I was supposed to but now I have some money saved so I just thought I wanna make it happen. Well, further study like what you recommended is for sure a good call, but that is only when I have more financial support.. My saving could only allow me to go for the english class, but I am happy with it (if that could even happen..).

What would be your suggestion for me to work more on my profile?
Looking forward to hear from you..

Samantha Saw

Jun 8, 2012
Hello World.Citizen,

world.citizen said:
What's your programme exactly? English course or internship? I am confused ???
The programme that I am taking is a co-op programme which allow me to attend half year of English Communication classes and another half year doing internship (placement fee included for the internship). This type of programme is for those who is interested in bettering their English and at the same time gaining "Canadian working experience", and that is what I wanted.

Any suggestion to help for my second try on student permit application? What else do you think I shall submit to convince the officer I will be surely returning?

The first time my submission was totally based what was on required by the Canada High Comm in Malaysia but since they just moved the operation to Singapore, I need to submit more supporting documents which I did not the first time, for example: police clearance certificate, my highest academic certificate, the appointment letters I got from my company, etc, do you need the extra supporting documents like what I mentioned could help to show the "ties" with my home country?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Programs like the one you want to attend are coming under greater scrutiny these days because the courses are not offered by government recognized schools and because too many people have been using these programs as a means of trying to come to Canada permanently (rather than just as students).

If you wish to come to Canada to study, I think your best option would be to apply for a course offered by a government recognized college or university.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
The way the Canadian visa process is set up, it doesn't matter if your own intentions are genuine. What you need to do is prove to the officer that your intentions are genuine from his/her perspective. Do what everyone does and be a stereotype... once you get your visa, enter Canada and change your course to whatever you want. Take scylla's advice.