+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Permit Applicants from USA( F1, OPT, H1-B), Let's Meet Here

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Well, if talking about countries that welcome people, I think Canada should be the best choice. Switzerland might be runner-up & UK should be the third with new score system (kind of similar with Canada)
Canada, indeed, is a good destination for international students.However, I'm not sure of Switzerland.The last time I checked, post graduation work permit lasts only for less than a year, after which students have to leave the country if they can't secure a job that fits their profile.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
I am here dude!!!

I graduated from university in USA, and I applied for graduate fellowship. I got 3 offers: 2 PhD (1 from Canada and 1 from US) and 1 Master (Canada). Weighting PhD fellowship, Canada offer looks better to me with higher paying & focusing on thesis & research than the offer from US (duties include: taking tons of courses, research, thesis....) although they have the same length (4-5 years). Talking about Master offer, I applied just for back-up plan, but I do not like living in Quebec. Another factor is I believe you mention about Canada immigration is smoothier than USA. Jobs finding might be a disadvantage for Canada compared to US (I heard from people graduating in Canada), but whatever reason I believe it is a better choice!!!
You have a nice profile, friend.Have you gotten an AIP?

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Please, let's all order for GCMS notes if we have not done that already.Despite the received AIP, it's also good to get the notes while waiting for the final approval.I have done mine already; it should be ready in two weeks.I will share with the house the information therein.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Another good point that makes Canada a better destination is the fact that the spouse of an international student can work while the student is studying.Now, having worked for one year in an NOC O, A or B for one year, the spouse can apply for the CEC expess entry stream.What that means is that the student can even become a permanent resident, through the spouse, while still studying.In USA, it's not possible.

Reactions: phuongdong

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
The question is of what use are the available jobs in the USA when international students are grossly discriminated against based on their visa status.Even, getting an OPT job is fast becoming a problem dueto visa status.Personally, I have been told several times that my competence is not in question but they want employees who will be with them for a long time, and they don't want to pass through the hassles of filling for H1-B visa.I have loads of friends with similar experience.

rajat2101

Aug 27, 2020
Hey Everyone,
I am on F1, applied on 22 July and received AIP on 19 Aug. I was wondering if anyone of you are leaving your college in US and then joining institutes in Canada. It seems that anyone who leaves his college in middle needs to leave US within 14 days. Is there any way to extend it till Canadian visa arrives

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
The question is of what use are the available jobs in the USA when international students are grossly discriminated against based on their visa status.Even, getting an OPT job is fast becoming a problem dueto visa status.Personally, I have been told several times that my competence is not in question but they want employees who will be with them for a long time, and they don't want to pass through the hassles of filling for H1-B visa.I have loads of friends with similar experience.
Only people who struggle under OPT know how good Canada is

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
I don't see how CEC is better than FSW program. You may get a few points extra for that 1 year Canadian work experience, but that's it. If your spouse is so close to the cutoff that those few points might make the difference then it's quite a risk you are taking. Much better for your spouse to aim for provincial nomination with a job offer imho.

Another good point that makes Canada a better destination is the fact that the spouse of an international student can work while the student is studying.Now, having worked for one year in an NOC O, A or B for one year, the spouse can apply for the CEC expess entry stream.What that means is that the student can even become a permanent resident, through the spouse, while still studying.In USA, it's not possible.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Nonsense. Anyone who has visited and fallen in love with Canada, not because it provides better economics than a sxxxhole country with a despotic leadership, knows how good Canada is. There is a difference between those who want to make Canada their new home and who would defend their new home with their own life if need be, and some economic migrants who jump ship each time someone else offers a dime more. Imho Canada immigrates way too many people from 2 countries and way too few from many others with a population and culture where a handshake is a deal and the spoken word a promise. Just my 2 cents.

Only people who struggle under OPT know how good Canada is

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
I don't see how CEC is better than FSW program. You may get a few points extra for that 1 year Canadian work experience, but that's it. If your spouse is so close to the cutoff that those few points might make the difference then it's quite a risk you are taking. Much better for your spouse to aim for provincial nomination with a job offer imho.
I wouldn't know if you understand the major differences between the FSW and the CEC.Anyway, with the CEC, ones spouse does not need to provide any POF. That is one of the areas CEC is preferred for people who don't have the POF for a large family size( up to five in my case).

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Nonsense. Anyone who has visited and fallen in love with Canada, not because it provides better economics than a sxxxhole country with a despotic leadership, knows how good Canada is. There is a difference between those who want to make Canada their new home and who would defend their new home with their own life if need be, and some economic migrants who jump ship each time someone else offers a dime more. Imho Canada immigrates way too many people from 2 countries and way too few from many others with a population and culture where a handshake is a deal and the spoken word a promise. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed

Reactions: Matt173

Chakravarty

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
This thread is meant for applicants for the study permits( Fall 2020 and Winter 2021) from the United States.International students on F1-Visa, OPT or even H1-B visa are encouraged to post their statuses here.This may help to analyse apllications from the USA, and possibly form a pattern.
I applied in the first week of last month( August), and got my AIP first week of September.My application is for Winter of 2021.I applied alongside with my family (wife (OWP)and kids)
Let's keep the ball rolling!
Hi..I have also applied for my SP from US for winter 2021 on Aug 8.When did u complete your biometric

sdan_mhspa

Sep 2, 2020
Hey Everyone,
I am on F1, applied on 22 July and received AIP on 19 Aug. I was wondering if anyone of you are leaving your college in US and then joining institutes in Canada. It seems that anyone who leaves his college in middle needs to leave US within 14 days. Is there any way to extend it till Canadian visa arrives
I am in the same situation, the school here dropped my courses today I’m so worried I don’t wanna waste my money here at all. What are your options? I don’t know when we’ll get the final decision.