+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Loan for MBA - Alberta or Ontario?

askme

Mar 31, 2014
Hi all

I plan to start my MBA soon. I wanted to know the process for getting a student loan from the govt.

Background:
I landed in Edmonton in Apr 2013 got my license, bank account, etc. done from there. Spent just a month and went back to my home country.
I came back in Sept 2013, and landed in Toronto, and have been living here since then. Only got the address on my bank account changed to my Toronto address. I will start my MBA either in BC or Ontario.

Request:
1) So now when applying for the provincial loan, who should I apply to - Alberta or Ontario?
2) Do the loan terms vary between these 2 provinces i.e. is it better I apply for the Ontario provincial loan for example because they give more bursaries?
3) Does any one have any suggestions on how to get need-based scholarships/bursaries from government?

Thanks in advance for your help and God bless.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Since your residential address is in Ontario you would have to apply through the Ontario program (OSAP). You should look into the OSAP rules as soon as you can. I believe there is a one year residency requirement to qualify (however I also believe this one year is waived under certain conditions).
2) I can't answer this question. But again, I believe the Ontario program is your only option. You can't chose between Alberta and Ontario.
3) The government no longer offers bursaries - only loans through banks. If you are interested in scholarships/bursaries - then you should be working with the university you are going to be attending to see what they may be able to provide.