+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student dependent spouse visa

palvii

Aug 9, 2019
Hi,
I have received legal study visa and I will be a full time student in canada. My fiancee also applied for visitor visa accompanying me for first 2 weeks in canada and will return back to home country. He is also my cousin as marrying a maternal cousin is allowed in India. We gave the reason that my cousin will be accompanying me for first 2 weeks in canada and not the fiancee as chances of refusal will be higher if specified fiancee. He got refusal. We have decided to get married in a week and I will leave for canada and also I will sponsor him under student dependent spouse visa. Since he got the refusal for visitor visa will that have any impact on a spouse dependent visa since we are marrying after first refusal? our relationship is genuine and its been 5 years we are in a relationship.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It is going to appear suspicious that your " cousin", applied for a visa to accompany you on your student visa, they get denied, and you then turn around get married to the individual, and subsequently attempt to sponsor him under a student spousal visa. It would now be obvious to the VO that the individual was not a legitimate visitor the first time around, and that more than likely they were not going to be going back to there home country after the first couple weeks,(which borders on misrepresentation) if now you are looking for them to stay quite a bit longer then the original two weeks mentioned in your first application by applying for spousal visa.

Last edited:

palvii

Aug 9, 2019
It is going to appear suspicious that your " cousin", applied for a visa to accompany you on your student visa, they get denied, and you then turn around get married to the individual, and subsequently attempt to sponsor him under a student spousal visa. It would now be obvious to the VO that the individual was not a legitimate visitor the first time around, and that more than likely they were not going to be going back to there home country after the first couple weeks,(which borders on misrepresentation) if now you are looking for them to stay quite a bit longer then the original two weeks mentioned in your first application by applying for spousal visa.
So after getting first refusal, marring in the next week will occur suspicious to VO while applying for spouse visa, is that you are saying ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting married does not guarantee that he can come to Canada on a SOWP. You will also run into problems with your marriage being considered genuine without a traditional ceremony. Most who try to submit court marriages before their large ceremonies are denied because CIC is aware that the court marriage would likely not lead you to be considered married in your community.

Redmi

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Hi,
I have received legal study visa and I will be a full time student in canada. My fiancee also applied for visitor visa accompanying me for first 2 weeks in canada and will return back to home country. He is also my cousin as marrying a maternal cousin is allowed in India. We gave the reason that my cousin will be accompanying me for first 2 weeks in canada and not the fiancee as chances of refusal will be higher if specified fiancee. He got refusal. We have decided to get married in a week and I will leave for canada and also I will sponsor him under student dependent spouse visa. Since he got the refusal for visitor visa will that have any impact on a spouse dependent visa since we are marrying after first refusal? our relationship is genuine and its been 5 years we are in a relationship.

Get married and have a proof of marriage such as marriage certificate. Doesn’t matter where you have been married whether in canada or elsewhere. He will be approved for sowp. My 2 cents to you get a professional lawyer help in your next attempt after getting married with him. It costs a bit but result would be in your favour for sure.

palvii

Aug 9, 2019
Get married and have a proof of marriage such as marriage certificate. Doesn’t matter where you have been married whether in canada or elsewhere. He will be approved for sowp. My 2 cents to you get a professional lawyer help in your next attempt after getting married with him. It costs a bit but result would be in your favour for sure.
but marrying immediately after first refusal will not be suspicious for VO??