+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student dependent SOWP: Help

palvii

Aug 9, 2019
hi,
I'm a full time international student currently studying in Canada. My spouse wants to apply for a student dependent open work permit. My concern is we got married a month ago and it was a civil marriage, will it affect his SOWP application? before our marriage we were in a 5years of relationship. will these things affects his application and how to make his profile strong for application?

Thank you in advance.

Manishamahajan58

Oct 19, 2019
hi,
I'm a full time international student currently studying in Canada. My spouse wants to apply for a student dependent open work permit. My concern is we got married a month ago and it was a civil marriage, will it affect his SOWP application? before our marriage we were in a 5years of relationship. will these things affects his application and how to make his profile strong for application?

Thank you in advance.
I would suggest you to not to go with covil marriage. My husband got refused For the same reason as officer wanted to have customary evidences according to indian culture.

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
I would suggest you to not to go with covil marriage. My husband got refused For the same reason as officer wanted to have customary evidences according to indian culture.
Can you share the document list as well as if you applied during study or you are on PGWP?

Manishamahajan58

Oct 19, 2019
I shared all the documents that a legal couple has. Like insurance papers, joint Bank account, pictures together. But officer just refused saying customary evidences are not sufficient. Kinda depressed rn. How can we prove that we are actually married. can just the pictures prove it? All other proofs are just useless for the officer. They don't care about others emotions and hard work. I was in a relationship with my husband for 7 years and got married last year. I even provided proofs like 2 years old chat history.. and 5 years old pictures together. But all in vein

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I shared all the documents that a legal couple has. Like insurance papers, joint Bank account, pictures together. But officer just refused saying customary evidences are not sufficient. Kinda depressed rn. How can we prove that we are actually married. can just the pictures prove it? All other proofs are just useless for the officer. They don't care about others emotions and hard work. I was in a relationship with my husband for 7 years and got married last year. I even provided proofs like 2 years old chat history.. and 5 years old pictures together. But all in vein
Sounds like it is the civil marriage that is the issue. Is it very common for someone of your ethnicity or religion to have a civil marriage? You got married ritht before you left to study in Canada but after you applied for a study permit. This is also what people who are in marriage of convenience do. You may have a better chance after another in person visit and continued correspondence. What was the reason for refusal?

Manishamahajan58

Oct 19, 2019
I got married in before my last semester and applied for my spouse after getting my work permit. I am not sure about number of civil marriages in my community but marrying in a certain way is a personal choice right? And what do you mean by continued correspondence?

Manishamahajan58

Oct 19, 2019
Reason of ref
Sounds like it is the civil marriage that is the issue. Is it very common for someone of your ethnicity or religion to have a civil marriage? You got married ritht before you left to study in Canada but after you applied for a study permit. This is also what people who are in marriage of convenience do. You may have a better chance after another in person visit and continued correspondence. What was the reason for refusal?
reason of refusal is insufficient proofs of customary tradition in my community.

Manishamahajan58

Oct 19, 2019
I got married in before my last semester and applied for my spouse after getting my work permit. I am not sure about number of civil marriages in my community but marrying in a certain way is a personal choice right? And what do you mean by continued correspondence?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you get denied when you had PGWP, 3 pay stubs and a job in NOC 0, A or B. Many of the civil marriages that get turned down are arranged marriages with very little time together. Many people do a civil marriage to start the sponsorship process but are planning on having a religious ceremony and their family and community do not consider them married yet. Did you go on a honeymoon or spend anytime living together after getting married? Did both of your families attend the Civil service?

Manishamahajan58

Oct 19, 2019
Yes.. both families were present and I had to come back for my studies so I didn't have enough pics after marriage. We didn't go on honeymoon for the same reason but we did have a trip before marriage to dubai. I had PGWP, 3 pay stubs and Noc B job.

Manishamahajan58

Oct 19, 2019
Did you get denied when you had PGWP, 3 pay stubs and a job in NOC 0, A or B. Many of the civil marriages that get turned down are arranged marriages with very little time together. Many people do a civil marriage to start the sponsorship process but are planning on having a religious ceremony and their family and community do not consider them married yet. Did you go on a honeymoon or spend anytime living together after getting married? Did both of your families attend the Civil service?
And its not an arranged marriage.