+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck outside Canada with my family in Toronto

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All that shows is that the CBSA was not doing his /her job, once again
We don't have to be a judge here. He was ready to be honest if confronted at the border. But the officer decided not to. At most we can be glad that he joined with his family. It is unnecessary to try to impart guilt in him, by saying that the officer didn't do his job.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
We don't have to be a judge here. He was ready to be honest if confronted at the border. But the officer decided not to. At most we can be glad that he joined with his family. It is unnecessary to try to impart guilt in him, by saying that the officer didn't do his job.
Don’t think the intent was to guilt the OP for a successful entry. More of a commentary on CBSA than anything else.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don’t think the intent was to guilt the OP for a successful entry. More of a commentary on CBSA than anything else.
When replied to successful entry story with CBSA's inefficiency post, I thought it convyed that message. If that's not the intent, I take my words back. Peace.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Wasn't being judgemental. His situation was not relevant, he made choices etc. What's the point of having the CBSA if they don't enforce the laws passed by Parliament? Then the next individual gets nailed . There's absolutely NO consistency, and I as someone who followsthe rules am supposed to sit here and applaud someone who doesn't follow the rules and doesn't get reported because some numbskull with a uniform on ,sitting in a booth, making a good salary , isn't doing their job ? Nope, not today

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wasn't being judgemental. His situation was not relevant, he made choices etc. What's the point of having the CBSA if they don't enforce the laws passed by Parliament? Then the next individual gets nailed . There's absolutely NO consistency, and I as someone who followsthe rules am supposed to sit here and applaud someone who doesn't follow the rules and doesn't get reported because some numbskull with a uniform on ,sitting in a booth, making a good salary , isn't doing their job ? Nope, not today
I guess what you mean is, that they should have been secondary review for him on the border. As officer can decide not to report him depending on his story and H&C reasons. Not even checking why that PR card is expired is a different story. And of course it has nothing to do with this specific case. The message it sends is inconsistency of the process, where crossing the border can be seen as a lottery rather then explaining your situation and your reasons getting accepted.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
best thing to do is to lodge your protest by going to each and every PoE between the US/Can
i would also consider having hunger strikes.
or standing at the border until someone takes an action
as a Canadian tax payer and being a true Canadian that you are, your voice must be heard!

and hey while you are freezing out there, try to count the number of so-called PRs leaving Canada to their US jobs!

commenting on forums and sending emails dont accomplish much does it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
best thing to do is to lodge your protest by going to each and every PoE between the US/Can
as a Canadian tax payer and being a true Canadian that you are, your voice must be heard!

and hey while you are freezing out there, try to count the number of so-called PRs leaving Canada to their US jobs!

As said by someone who is trying to enter Canada without a valid PR card having not met their RO and been out of the country for a decade:rolleyes: Why don’t you consider the US then?

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
As said by someone who is trying to enter Canada without a valid PR card having not met their RO and been out of the country for a decade:rolleyes: Why don’t you consider the US then?
that person is free to live and do whatever, as long as he/she is not breaking any rules or laws and also not leeching off of the system like others.

the focus should be on the people who have moved out of Canada to US and elsewhere with their Canadian passports and gave Canada a long middle finger. there must be some stats available on such data to let people see the bigger picture and understand the actual problem immigration policy makers need to take notice of.

the others should take a chill pill and not get jealous at the same time. Rather they should humbly thank such people who are trying to come back with genuine intentions of contributing to the Canadian economy.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
the focus should be on the people who have moved out of Canada to US and elsewhere with their Canadian passports and gave Canada a long middle finger. there must be some stats available on such data to let people see the bigger picture and understand the actual problem immigration policy makers need to take notice of.
CBSA's mandate and priorities are pretty clear: first and foremost national security and public safety, while 'facilitating' free flow of persons and goods acc to Canadian law. Or stated as a mission, "To ensure the security and prosperity of Canada by managing the access of people and goods to and from Canada."

What this means in practice is that there is always some trade-off between resources available and the potential benefit. Or, put differently, some combination of judgment by the officers based on potential costs and benefits balanced against priorities. And yes, sometimes inconsistency - after all, they do random searches sometimes, which is nothing if not inconsistent (although perhaps reliably or predictably inconsistent). Within the immigration/border crossing tasks, there is a certainly recognition that no system of border control in Canada will ever be 100% successful, and the costs tend to rise exponentially for small improvements, particularly at the land border.

So the way I would look at this case (or in general): does the original poster represent a security risk? Seems unlikely, and an investigation into his residency obligations isn't like to change that much. Will a long and expensive examination and appeals process lead to any benefit to Canada? Seems unlikely, as he and his family seem able to support themselves. Even a process that resulted in deportation/removal would lead to ... well, what exactly? Wife and children settled and he'd probably be successful re-applying for PR status eventually anyway.

So stricter enforcement here: to what end?

It's easy to second-guess the CBSA officers, or think they didn't do what they should have. In this case - whether it was accidental or the part of precise information and careful judgment - it cost the government less with basically the same outcome.

Reactions: asaeed100

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
CBSA's mandate and priorities are pretty clear: first and foremost national security and public safety, while 'facilitating' free flow of persons and goods acc to Canadian law. Or stated as a mission, "To ensure the security and prosperity of Canada by managing the access of people and goods to and from Canada."

What this means in practice is that there is always some trade-off between resources available and the potential benefit. Or, put differently, some combination of judgment by the officers based on potential costs and benefits balanced against priorities. And yes, sometimes inconsistency - after all, they do random searches sometimes, which is nothing if not inconsistent (although perhaps reliably or predictably inconsistent). Within the immigration/border crossing tasks, there is a certainly recognition that no system of border control in Canada will ever be 100% successful, and the costs tend to rise exponentially for small improvements, particularly at the land border.

So the way I would look at this case (or in general): does the original poster represent a security risk? Seems unlikely, and an investigation into his residency obligations isn't like to change that much. Will a long and expensive examination and appeals process lead to any benefit to Canada? Seems unlikely, as he and his family seem able to support themselves. Even a process that resulted in deportation/removal would lead to ... well, what exactly? Wife and children settled and he'd probably be successful re-applying for PR status eventually anyway.

So stricter enforcement here: to what end?

It's easy to second-guess the CBSA officers, or think they didn't do what they should have. In this case - whether it was accidental or the part of precise information and careful judgment - it cost the government less with basically the same outcome.
very well put
i guess this is how CBSA conducts its operations -

sadly some anti-immigrantion folks dont see it that way - they need a wall at the border as well paid for by the immigrants ONLY. .

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I’ll take that as “ attempted “ sarcasm or maybe a shot at trying to be witty , nothing more
The CBSA should not be determining RO at the border , the individuals should be referred to the IRCC for determination of status , since that is their mandate.
Of course your comments are coming from someone who hasn’t been in the country since 2009, wasn’t aware or neglected to become informed of RO , I will take them with a grain of salt as well
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-expired-returning-through-us-section-44-report.667323/

Last edited:

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Doesn't CBSA have a fair bit of discretion in these scenarios? If so, then it is not fair to say that the officer was not doing his/her job. Perhaps you do not agree with the officer's judgment call here but you can't say that he/she neglected his/her job.

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
I’ll take that as “ attempted “ sarcasm or maybe a shot at trying to be witty , nothing more
The CBSA should not be determining RO at the border , the individuals should be referred to the IRCC for determination of status , since that is their mandate.
Of course your comments are coming from someone who hasn’t been in the country since 2009, wasn’t aware or neglected to become informed of RO , I will take them with a grain of salt as well
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-expired-returning-through-us-section-44-report.667323/
sir looks like i am not the only one here who seem to disagree with your statement. with that said some have given their take on it as well.
You are free to take out your frustration on me all you want if that makes you happy.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
sir looks like i am not the only one here who seem to disagree with your statement. with that said some have given their take on it as well.
You are free to take out your frustration on me all you want if that makes you happy.
Ok, it's a public forum Whether or not if you agree with me is not relevant, and the take your frustrations out on me , bud , have no clue where you're going with that one, but good luck

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Ok, it's a public forum Whether or not if you agree with me is not relevant, and the take your frustrations out on me , bud , have no clue where you're going with that one, but good luck
Thank you Sir.
people come here to get support and help
not to get exposed to anti-immigration comments or mislead one way or the other.
or to know whether they got lucky at the port or the system was too lenient in their case or they got a free pass or someone didnt do his/her job etc

if you can help someone with the knowledge or information you have , please do by all means
otherwise kindly do what i have already recommended and let your voice be heard!

Last edited: