+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck in Egypt and need help

eggroup

May 7, 2010
I am a permanent resident of Canada since 24-06-2010, Business category.

On 1st of July 2010, I went back to Egypt, my home country, to sell a real estate property I own and transfer the money to Canada to start my new life there.

As a result of the global recession, I faced a declined demand for real estate in Egypt and thus the operation took longer than I expected until January 2011 when the Egyptian Revolution started.

The Revolution hurt me in three ways:

1. There is a deep recession now in Egypt with almost no selling at all.
2. If I can sell in local currency – in spite of the recession – I can't buy Dollars from the bank as Central Bank of Egypt tries to decrease the pressure on local currency.
3. If it happened – theoretically – and I could get the Dollars, I can't transfer it outside of Egypt!!

Now, I am stuck in Egypt and I can't come back to Canada because of money.

I know that the maximum allowed time to be continuously outside of Canada is 24 months from which I spent 18 months till now, and I don't know when the situation will be resolved.

My Questions to you are:

1. What are my chances if the situation remains as it is for years to come?
2. Is there anything I can do to save my immigration project from being ruined?

Thank you for your time.

eggroup

May 7, 2010
By the way, on 2nd of Sept. 2011, I sent a letter with this text to the following canadian authority:

Citizenship and Immigration (IIP)
Centralized Intake Office
PO Box 8888
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 0C9
Canada

No reply till now.

I got in contact with some canadian friends and they told me that a written reply will never happen so as not to be taken against them, is this true?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To maintain Canadian permanent residency, you must live in Canada two out of every 5 years There is no "24 months continuously out of Canada" rule.

As long as you live in Canada two out of every five years, you will be able to maintain your PR status.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eggroup said:
As a result of the global recession, I faced a declined demand for real estate in Egypt and thus the operation took longer than I expected until January 2011 when the Egyptian Revolution started.

I know that the maximum allowed time to be continuously outside of Canada is 24 months from which I spent 18 months till now, and I don't know when the situation will be resolved.

My Questions to you are:

Thank you for your time.
Global recession didn't seem to affect the property market in Vancouver and some asian cities in the times you quoted. In fact, the market was hot and property prices rose.

Back to your question, in addition to scylla's response, as long as you accompany your Canadian citizen spouse, you will be able to maintain your PR status. So if your spouse becomes citizen, say in 2013, and she comes to Egypt to live with you, you might be able to maintain your PR status.

So you cannot buy dollars from Egypt. Can you buy commodities such as gold and then drive to nearby countries such as Israel and convert into dollars?

eggroup

May 7, 2010
Hi everybody,

I am here again and I am sad that nobady could answer my questions, anyway I will keep searching.

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
eggroup said:
Hi eggroup,

Both of your questions seem to point to one issue: are you willing to accept a loss on the sale of your home and other assets - perhaps the loss of all value - in return for your Canadian PR status?

This is a question that only you can answer. Your timeframe to get things done has been explained previously... ...it is really your choice as to how to proceed.

I really wish that I could be more helpful. I can only imagine the stress that you are under given the events in Egypt. I hope that you can find a way to sell your home and to retain as much value from your assets as possible - and that you will be back in Canada soon.

eggroup

May 7, 2010
AtHomeInMontreal said:
Hi eggroup,

Both of your questions seem to point to one issue: are you willing to accept a loss on the sale of your home and other assets - perhaps the loss of all value - in return for your Canadian PR status?

This is a question that only you can answer. Your timeframe to get things done has been explained previously... ...it is really your choice as to how to proceed.

I really wish that I could be more helpful. I can only imagine the stress that you are under given the events in Egypt. I hope that you can find a way to sell your home and to retain as much value from your assets as possible - and that you will be back in Canada soon.
Thank you very much for your kind words.

You know, I have a complex problem, even if I sold my property, I can't buy Dollars, and even if I could, I can't transfer the money to Canada!!

Anyway Thanks.