+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck in Canada.

Albamark

Jul 23, 2013
Hi ,
My son came to visit me in February and was due to fly back to UK in April. Due to the Covid-19 he has been stuck here, as his flights were canceled.
He was not back home to resign his lease on his apartment at the end of April and as such has lost his home.

My question is:
Has there been anything implemented by Immigration to allow people that are stuck here to get a temporary work permit?
I / We are willing to sponsor him if that was required for him to start a PR application also.
Just looking at options for him, he really wants to work, and I know that locally farmers are desperate for workers.
Any help / Ideas would be appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi ,
My son came to visit me in February and was due to fly back to UK in April. Due to the Covid-19 he has been stuck here, as his flights were canceled.
He was not back home to resign his lease on his apartment at the end of April and as such has lost his home.

My question is:
Has there been anything implemented by Immigration to allow people that are stuck here to get a temporary work permit?
I / We are willing to sponsor him if that was required for him to start a PR application also.
Just looking at options for him, he really wants to work, and I know that locally farmers are desperate for workers.
Any help / Ideas would be appreciated
No - there hasn't been anything like this implemented. Same rules apply now as did before.

If he wants to work, he needs to start by securing a job offer and the employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA. He can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

In terms of whether you can sponsor him for PR, that would depend on how old he is now. Note that sponsoring him for PR will not give him the ability to work anytime soon. He won't be able to work until the PR application is finalized (which would likely be 8-10 months from the time of submission).

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If needs to leave Air Canada have flights now from July to UK although UK has a quarantine requirement much same as Canada

Last edited: