+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck in a weird conundrum. Need help!

Jan 13, 2020
Hi there,

A quick back story, I'm an Indian citizen who was born and raised in Dubai. I've completed my Masters and worked for 4 years back home. I had applied to do a 1 year post graduate course and moved here late 2018. Once my course was completed , I had applied for my PGWP and received one for a year (expires in October 2020). While searching for jobs, I was fortunate enough to land one in the same field of study at a reputable organization in September 2019 with NOC skill 0.

The issue now is I'm hoping to apply for Permanent Residency. I used the CRS tool and my points are coming up to 426. If I wait until September 2020 (when I complete my 1 year of working here), I'll have 516 points. At this point, what are the options I have? My organization, unfortunately, can't provide an LMIA but will help with any employment letters. I checked for the PNP (I live in Ontario) and it seems like the 'Employee Job Offer - International Student Stream' is closed. I've got 9 months remaining and I'm really worried. Any and all advise would be really helpful!

I haven't done my ECA yet. Does that provide additional points? My Bachelors and Masters were done in an American University.

Last edited:

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
Hi there,

A quick back story, I'm an Indian citizen who was born and raised in Dubai. I've completed my Masters and worked for 4 years back home. I had applied to do a 1 year post graduate course and moved here late 2018. Once my course was completed , I had applied for my PGWP and received one for a year (expires in October 2020). While searching for jobs, I was fortunate enough to land one in the same field of study at a reputable organization in September 2019 with NOC skill 0.

The issue now is I'm hoping to apply for Permanent Residency. I used the CRS tool and my points are coming up to 426. If I wait until September 2020 (when I complete my 1 year of working here), I'll have 516 points. At this point, what are the options I have? My organization, unfortunately, can't provide an LMIA but will help with any employment letters. I checked for the PNP (I live in Ontario) and it seems like the 'Employee Job Offer - International Student Stream' is closed. I've got 9 months remaining and I'm really worried. Any and all advise would be really helpful!

I haven't done my ECA yet. Does that provide additional points? My Bachelors and Masters were done in an American University.
You need your ECA to claim points for education. You can try giving IELTS/CELP to get a better score as the higher the score the more points you get. Other than that, your only option is to wait. And I think you are mis calculating your Canadian work experience points. It should be around 30-35 for 1 year. Please verify if you are inputting everything correctly in the CIC calculator.

Reactions: ThatOneMeister
Jan 13, 2020
You need your ECA to claim points for education. You can try giving IELTS/CELP to get a better score as the higher the score the more points you get. Other than that, your only option is to wait. And I think you are mis calculating your Canadian work experience points. It should be around 30-35 for 1 year. Please verify if you are inputting everything correctly in the CIC calculator.
Hi csadangi, Thank you so much for your feedback, REALLY appreciate it. Looks like I might have to redo my IELTS (Would you recommend CELPIP? Is it easier to score points?). I will be applying for my ECA soon. Hopefully I get a response quick. Even though that is the case, wouldn't it count for 25 points max? As per the Canadian work experience points, Since I only started working on September 2019, it would be less that 1 year of work experience, right? I'm really worried as time is flying by. Only have 9 months left.

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
Hi csadangi, Thank you so much for your feedback, REALLY appreciate it. Looks like I might have to redo my IELTS (Would you recommend CELPIP? Is it easier to score points?). I will be applying for my ECA soon. Hopefully I get a response quick. Even though that is the case, wouldn't it count for 25 points max? As per the Canadian work experience points, Since I only started working on September 2019, it would be less that 1 year of work experience, right? I'm really worried as time is flying by. Only have 9 months left.
It depends. I gave CELPIP and found it to be easier but the speaking part could be tough as you speak to a computer and all the test takers start speaking simultaneously.

Without the proper degree evaluation, it's hard to tell how much points will you get. Once that's done, you should re-check your score.
You need to wait until September 2020 to get points for CEC.

Reactions: ThatOneMeister